5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Byzantine Empire
- a Because of Korea's geography (mountainous), fishing was a major source for protein
- b Belief in one god; Judaic Religions - Judaism, Islam, and Christianity
- c Influenced by Portuguese culture - they speak Portuguese
- d Preserved the cultural heritage of Greece and Rome
- e Invented moveable type
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Philosphe who published the "Social Contract." he posited that people are born good but are corrupted e education, laws, and society. He advocated a government based on popular sovereignty and was distrustful of other philosophes' suffocating conformity to "reason."
- The first major collection of laws; 281 laws that were very strict and harsh
- Philosophe who wrote the "Candide", satirizing prejudice, oppressive government, and bigotry. Championed freedom of speech, religion and thought.
- Belief in many gods
- Luther's and Calvin's ideas spread across Europe quickly. This was due to unrest in the peasant population, inventions like the printing press, and the support of rulers wishing to free themselves from Catholic control. Religious unity in Europe was lost, which resulted in many wars including, civil wars in Germany and France, and wars between Protestant England and Catholic France and Spain.
5 True/False Questions
Result from encounters between Spanish and Native Americans → Began with a disagreement over the choice of caliph
Judaism → Human potential and achievements; intellectual movement of the Renaissance; studies called humanities (worldly subjects such as: history, literature, philosophy, math), focus of artists during the Renaissance
Galileo → Influenced by Portuguese culture - they speak Portuguese
Frederick the Great → Prussian king whose foreign policies led to war; he pushed religious toleration and legal reform at home
The Dutch → Most important economic activity in medieval towns