1. Chemical and structural bridges link groups or layers of like cells, uniting them in structure and function as a cohesive:
2. The tissue that lines internal surfaces of the body is:
3. Epithelial cells are specialized for all the following functions EXCEPT:
4. Adhering and gap junctions are found at the:
5. Which junction influences the passage of ions and small molecules between cells?
6. The secretion of tears, milk, sweat, and oil are functions of what tissue?
7. Which epithelial cell is modified for diffusion?
8. The type of epithelial cell found in the lining of the stomach, intestinal tract, and part of the respiratory tract is:
9. Exocrine glands secrete:
All of these (enzymes, sweat, milk, saliva)
10. Which of the following is NOT included in connective tissues?
11. What type of tissue is blood?
12. An extracellular ground substance is characteristic of:
13. Connective tissues include all the following EXCEPT:
Outer layers of skin
14. Dense fibrous tissues that connect muscle to bone are called:
15. Collagen fibers are characteristics of which tissue?
16. Tendons connect:
Muscles to bones
17. Bones are linked together at skeletal joints by:
18. Cartilage is found:
All of these (nose, end of bones, external ear, between vertebrae)
19. Adipose tissue cells are filled with:
20. If its cells are striated and fused at the ends so that the cells contract as a unit, the tissue is:
21. Muscle that is NOT striped and is involuntary is:
22. Cardiac muscle cells are:
Both involuntary and striated
23. Smooth muscles are:
All (isolated, spindle-shaped cells, found in the walls of hollow structures such as blood vessels and the stomach, involuntary and nonstriated)
24. Rapid communication throughout the body is accomplished by:
26. Which of the following represents the correct hierarchy of organization in the human body?
Cells Tissues Organs Organ Systems
27. A cell in the pancreas is unaffected by which of the following features of muscle or bone tissue?
None of these, because all directly or indirectly affect any given cell in the pancreas
28. Of the following organs, which is NOT in the abdominal cavity?
29. What we usually call the "back" of the human body is really the:
30. Muscle cells are produced by:
31. The lining of the intestinal tract is produced by:
32. The nervous system is produced by:
33. The external covering of the body is produced by:
34. Somatic cells can form all but which of the following?
35. The endocrine system functions in:
Hormonal control of body functioning
36. Maintaining the volume and composition of body fluids is the direct responsibility of which system?
37. Which system is involved with body movement?
38. Integration of body functions is controlled by the:
Both nervous and endocrine systems
39. Which system produces blood cells?
40. Extracellular fluid would NOT include:
41. When nutrients are supplied to a cell, the last fluid through which they must pass before encountering the plasma membrane is the:
42. Which of the following is most directly associated with a stimulus?
43. Which are examples of integrators?
Brain, spinal cord
44. The control of the temperature of the body is an example of which of the following?
Both a homeostatic mechanism and a negative feedback system
1. Which of the following is usually NOT present in an open circulation system?
2. Which of the following has a close circulatory system?
3. Which of the following statements is false?
Humans have an open circulatory system
4. Which of the following systems is the only one to have direct interactions with the other three?
5. Which of the following possesses a three chambered heart?
6. Which of the following is true of the pulmonary circuit?
The right ventricle pumps oxygen-poor blood
7. Which of the following is NOT a function of the lymph system?
Transporting dissolved gases
8. Which of the following makes up the greatest percentage of human plasma?
9. Which cell is NOT the same type as the others?
10. Which cell is NOT involved with the defense response?
11. Which cell is the most abundant in the human body?
12. Which cell produces the fibrin used in blood clots?
13. In humans, which cell does NOT have a nucleus when mature?
14. Most of the oxygen in the blood is transported by:
15. Red blood cells originate in the:
16. How long does the average red blood cell live?
17. About how many quarts of blood does a normal, 150-pound, human male have?
18. What percent of the total blood volume does plasma normally amount to?
50 to 60
19. Hemoglobin contains which element?
20. Megakaryocytes fragment to produce:
21. Blood rich in oxygen is what color?
22. Type A blood will NOT agglutinate when mixed with:
Both A and AB, but will clump with types B and O
23. Which blood type is the universal donor?
24. Which blood type is the universal recipient?
25. In the Rh disease:
The mother must be negative and her first and second children positive
26. If you are blood type A:
You carry antibodies for type B blood
27. The pulmonary circulation:
Leads to, through, and from the lungs
28. In the human systemic circuit, blood will pass through all but which of the following?
29. In its travel through the human body, blood usually continues on from capillaries to enter:
30. Which of the following statements is true?
The systemic circuit leaves the heart from the left ventricle
31. Blood in arteries:
Always travels away from the heart
32. The receiving zone of a vertebrate heart is:
33. The aorta leaves the:
34. The pulmonary artery carries blood away from the:
35. Blood from the body is first received by the heart in the:
36. The heart:
Will contract as a result of stimuli from the sinoatrial node
37. Heart excitation originates in the:
38. What occurs during systole?
The heart muscle tissues contract
39. The pacemaker is which of the following nodes?
40. If a physician hears two "lub" sounds instead of one, which of these is true?
The atrioventricular valves are not closing at the same time
41. The coronary vessels:
Supply and drain the heart muscle
42. Which of the following statements is false?
A heart will stop beating when the nerves to the heart are severed
43. Blood pressure is highest in the:
44. The greatest volume of blood is found in the:
45. Which of the following has the highest blood pressure?
46. Which of the following is NOT found in an arteriole?
47. The diastolic pressure for a normal adult would be:
48. The greatest drop in blood pressure occurs in the:
49. The interstitial fluid is:
All of these (a reservoir, the extracellular fluid, supplied by the blood, similar to sea water)
50. Extracellular fluid contains all but which of the following?
51. At the arteriole end of the capillary, more fluid leaves the capillary than enters as a result of:
Is the movement of components of the interstitial fluid into a capillary bed and occurs at the end of the capillary bed
53. By controlling their musculature, which of the following can vary the resistance to blood flow?
54. Because of their great elasticity, which of the following can function as blood volume reservoirs during times of low metabolic output?
Veins and venules
55. Which of the following controls the distribution of blood?
56. Which of the following are pressure reservoirs with low resistance to flow?
57. Which of the following are highly distensible reservoirs for blood volume?
58. The greatest volume of blood is found in the:
59. The most common vascular disease is:
60. A stroke is a rupture of a blood vessel in the:
61. In atherosclerosis:
All of these (abnormal multiplication of smooth muscle cells in blood vessels occurs, the arterial walls fill with connective tissue, the lipids in the bloodstream become embedded in the walls of the endothelial lining, a fibrous net covers the entire abnormal area)
62. The mineral associated with atherosclerosis is:
63. Cholesterol is believed to be carried by:
High-density lipoproteins and high-density lipoproteins
64. Hemostasis in vertebrates includes all of the following EXCEPT:
Release of iron to aid in the clumping of platelets
65. Which of the following is NOT involved in the formation of a blood clot?
66. Which of the following is transported in greater quantities in the lmphatic system in the blood?
67. Which statement is NOT true of the lymph vascular system? The lymph vascular system:
Absorbs glucose from the small intestine and transports it to the brain
68. The lymphoid organs include all but the:
69. The system that reclaims fluids and proteins that have escaped from blood capillaries is the:
70. Areas where lymphocytes congregate as they cleanse the blood of foreign materials are called:
71. This blood component plays a central role in clotting blood following a wound.
72. This blood component contains hemoglobin.
Red blood cells
73. This blood component plays a role in the inflammatory response and shows anticlotting activity.
74. This blood component plays a role in maintaining the ionic balance of the body.
Sodium and potassium chloride
75. Oxygen is transported throughout the body by this blood component.
Red blood cells
76. Blood from the superior and inferior vena cavas enters the heart via this structure.
77. Blood passes to the lungs from this structure.
78. Deoxygenated blood exits the heart from this structure.
79. Oxygenated blood enters the heart via this structure.
80. Blood is pumped to the majority of the body by this structure.
81. Four of the five answers listed below designate organisms with open circulations. Select the exception.
82. Four of the five answers listed below are related by a common property. Select the exception.
83. Four of the five answers listed below are blood proteins. Select the exception.
84. Four of the five answers listed below are characteristics of most veins. Select the exception.
85. Three of the four answers listed below are related by a common function. Select the exception.
86. Four of the five answers listed below are related by a common feature. Select the exception.
87. Four of the five answers listed below are related by a common function. Select the exception.