1) With respect to the relationship between culture, religion, and the physical environment
B) religious ideas may be responsible for some of the changes people make in the physical
10) The goal of the majority of people living in Northern Ireland is to
A) remain part of the United Kingdom.
11) Roman Catholics are clustered in the U.S. southwest primarily because of migration of
A) Roman Catholics from Latin America
12) The people of Quebec are distinguished from residents of neighboring Canadian provinces
and the United States because they
C) frequently use religious toponyms
19) Adherents of which religion controlled much of present-day Spain until 1492, but not since
21) Which of the following is currently the most important religion in the homeland of the man
who founded it?
22) Unlike other universalizing religions, Buddhism
A) remained concentrated in one region of the world.
25) Adherents of which religion are also likely to believe in other religions simultaneously?
27) The agricultural calendar is relatively unimportant to which type of religions?
34) The concept of a ghetto originally referred to the area of a city
B) inhabited by the lowest-income people.
35) Judaism is classified as an ethnic rather than a universalizing religion, primarily because
C) its rituals derive from the agricultural cycle in Israel
37) Which is not a characteristic of a hierarchical religion?
B) It encourages each congregation to be self-sufficient.
42) The United Nations partition plan dividing Palestine placed Jerusalem under
E) United Nations administration
43) The situation in Northern Ireland is the result of
A) counties in Northern Ireland voting to remain in the United Kingdom.
B) Catholic protest against discrimination by Protestants.
C) British colonial control which contributed to poor economic conditions.
D) violence committed by extreme partisans on both sides.
46) Adherents of which religion have controlled the Holy Land for most of the past 1,500 years?
48) Which of these penalties were imposed by the Taliban in Afghanistan?
A) Men were beaten for shaving their beards.
B) Homosexuals were buried alive.
C) Prostitutes were hanged in public, and men were stoned for committing adultery.
D) Thieves' hands were cut off, and women with nail polish had their fingers cut off.
49) What policy did the British follow in India?
D) They encouraged the abolishment of the caste system.
50) From the Russian Revolution to the fall of the communist government, what was the policy
of the government towards religion?
C) Churches remained open but played a limited role.
51) Individual ethnic religions have more concentrated geographic distributions than
62) Pilgrimages play a significant role in ethnic religions but not in universalizing religions.
66) Describe the main difference in the most important holidays between a universalizing and
an ethnic religion.
Ethnic- agricultural calendar, universalizing-events in founder's life.
67) What is the world's largest ethnic religion? In what country do 99 percent of the adherents of
this religion live?
69) Most Europeans adhere to which of the three major universalizing religions?
Which is the most important branch of this religion in the following regions of Europe?
a. protestant, b. roman catholic, c. orthodox
72) Match the religion to the region of the United States:
________ Baptist a. Arizona
________ Roman Catholic b. Utah
________ Lutheran c. Alabama
________ Mormon d. Minnesota
Baptist Alabama, Roman Catholic Arizona, Lutheran Minnesota, Mormon Utah
73) Most people in the Republic of Ireland are adherents of which branch of Christianity?
A slight majority of people in Northern Ireland are adherents of which branch of
Roman Catholic, Protestant.
74) Wars were fought in 1948, 1956, 1967, and 1973 in the land once known as Palestine. What
country won all four of these wars?
What three countries fought against this country in all four wars?
Which one of these three countries signed a peace treaty with the first country named?
Egypt, Syria, Jordan
75) Name the four religions dominant in East Asia.
How is religious adherence different in East Asia than in the United States?
Buddhism, Taoism/Daoism, Shinotism, Confusciounism.
76) Compare the impact of Christianity and Islam on the landscape.
Christian must finish creating the Earth by modifying the environment, natural disasters=sins,
Islam reflect/improve land by growing crops.
78) How do different religions incorporate natural features into their cosmogony?
Christians modify land, and muslims try to improve land.
79) How has religion been a source of territorial conflict among people?
1 religion better than another, fights for territory over holy places and sacred spaces.