5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Which of the following is true of innate behaviors?
Their expression is only weakly influenced by genes.
They are expressed in most individuals in a population.
They occur in invertebrates and some vertebrates but not mammals.
They are limited to invertebrate animals.
They occur with or without environmental stimuli.
- Select the correct statement describing the nitrogen cycle.
Nitrogen-fixing microbes provide energy for carbon fixation.
Denitrifying bacteria reduce ammonia (NH3 +) to molecular nitrogen (N2).
Bacteria obtain energy from nitrification.
- During the contraction of a vertebrate skeletal muscle fiber, calcium ions
spread action potentials through the T tubules.
break cross-bridges by acting as a cofactor in the hydrolysis of ATP.
transmit action potentials from the motor neuron to the muscle fiber.
re-establish the polarization of the plasma membrane following an action potential.
bind with troponin, changing its shape so that the myosin-binding sites on actin are exposed.
- Which of these ecosystems has the lowest net primary production per square meter?
a tropical rain forest
a salt marsh
an open ocean
a coral reef
- Keystone predators can maintain species diversity in a community if they
prey on the community's dominant species.
allow immigration of other predators.
reduce the number of disruptions in the community.
prey only on the least abundant species in the community.
competitively exclude other predators.
- a Bacteria obtain energy from nitrification.
- b prey on the community's dominant species.
- c They are expressed in most individuals in a population
- d bind with troponin, changing its shape so that the myosin-binding sites on actin are exposed.
- e an open ocean
5 Multiple choice questions
- tropical rain forest
- zooplankton-primary producer
- olfactory receptor-electromagnetic receptor
- Mechanoreceptors detect sound.
Foods taste spicy when they activate the same sensory receptors that high temperatures activate.
- Changes in the behavior of cross-fostered young provide information about how the social and physical environment influences behavior.
Cross-fostering studies provide information about the relative importance of nature and nurture in the development of a trait.
5 True/False questions
If you applied a fungicide to a cornfield, what would you expect to happen to the rate of decomposition and net ecosystem production (NEP)?
Decomposition rate would decrease and NEP would increase.
Decomposition rate would increase and NEP would decrease.
Neither would change.
Both decomposition rate and NEP would increase.
Both decomposition rate and NEP would decrease. → Decomposition rate would decrease and NEP would increase.
Which sensory distinction is not encoded by a difference in neuron identity?
spicy and cool
red and green
salty and sweet
white and red
loud and faint → zooplankton-primary producer
Scientific study of the population cycles of the snowshoe hare and its predator, the lynx, has revealed that
the hare population is r-selected and the lynx population is K-selected.
the prey population is controlled by predators alone.
both hare and lynx populations are regulated mainly by abiotic factors.
hares and lynx are so mutually dependent that each species cannot survive without the other.
multiple biotic and abiotic factors contribute to the cycling of the hare and lynx populations. → multiple biotic and abiotic factors contribute to the cycling of the hare and lynx populations
WHAT IF? If the direction of Earth's rotation reversed, the most predictable effect would be
winds blowing from west to east along the equator.
a loss of seasonal variation at high latitudes.
no more night and day.
a big change in the length of the year.
the elimination of ocean currents. → 7 billion.
Based on current growth rates, Earth's human population in 2012 will be closest to
4 billion. → the members of the population are competing for access to a resource.