5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What is a likely outcome of a moderate disturbance, such as a severe thunderstorm?
Select all that apply.
Reduced species diversity within a community
Patches of different habitats within the landscape
Loss of an equilibrium state of balance, leading to a less healthy community
- The feeding relationships among the species in a community determine the community's
- Based on the intermediate disturbance hypothesis, a community's species diversity is increased by
frequent massive disturbance.
intensive disturbance by humans.
stable conditions with no disturbance.
human intervention to eliminate disturbance.
moderate levels of disturbance.
- Although many chimpanzees live in environments containing oil palm nuts, members of only a few populations use stones to crack open the nuts. The likely explanation is that
members of different populations have different nutritional requirements.
the cultural tradition of using stones to crack nuts has arisen in only some populations.
members of different populations differ in manual dexterity.
the behavioral difference is caused by genetic differences between populations.
members of different populations differ in learning ability.
- A recent study of ecological footprints concluded that
it is not possible for technological improvements to increase Earth's carrying capacity for humans.
the ecological footprint of the United States is large because per capita resource use is high.
Earth's carrying capacity would increase if per capita meat consumption increased.
current demand by industrialized countries for resources is much smaller than the ecological footprint of those countries.
Earth's carrying capacity for humans is about 10 billion.
- a the ecological footprint of the United States is large because per capita resource use is high.
- b moderate levels of disturbance.
- c trophic structure
- d the cultural tradition of using stones to crack nuts has arisen in only some populations.
- e Patches of different habitats within the landscape
5 Multiple choice questions
- in biomes at different latitudes.
- regulating the pH of freshwater biomes and terrestrial groundwater.
- the rate of decomposition in the ecosystem
- The perception of sensory input by humans and star-nosed moles differs.
The number and type of sensory receptors in humans and star-nosed moles differ.
- Calcium levels remained high in the soil of deforested areas.
5 True/False questions
Food chains are sometimes short because
most producers are inedible.
most of the energy in a trophic level is lost as it passes to the next higher level.
predator species tend to be less diverse and less abundant than prey species.
local extinction of a species causes extinction of the other species in its food chain.
only a single species of herbivore feeds on each plant species. → population growth is zero when N equals K.
Which of the following may result from resource partitioning?
Select all that apply.
A population's fundamental niche may be smaller than its realized niche.
A population may have a smaller realized niche when it coexists with a competitor.
Competing species may partition time, feeding at different times of day. → About 1% of the energy stored in producers is converted to organic matter at the secondary consumer level.
A region of the canary forebrain shrinks during the nonbreeding season and enlarges when breeding season begins. This change is probably associated with the annual
renewal of mating and nest-building behaviors.
sensitive period in which canary parents imprint on new offspring.
addition of new syllables to a canary's song repertoire.
crystallization of subsong into adult songs.
elimination of the memorized template for songs sung the previous year. → addition of new syllables to a canary's song repertoire.
Select the correct statement(s) about a terrestrial food chain.
Select all that apply.
The total biomass of the top trophic level is greatest because the top consumers are large.
About 1% of the energy stored in producers is converted to organic matter at the secondary consumer level.
Energy is transferred from decomposers to plants to herbivores to carnivores. → About 1% of the energy stored in producers is converted to organic matter at the secondary consumer level.
Which of the following sensory receptors is incorrectly paired with its category?
olfactory receptor-electromagnetic receptor
hair cell-mechanoreceptor → zooplankton-primary producer