5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Excitation-contraction coupling directly requires which of the following substances?
- Skeletal muscle lacks the coarse connective tissue sheaths that are found in smooth muscle?
- Which of the following is CORRECTLY paired?
A) smooth muscle: striated
B) cardiac muscle: nonstriated
C) cardiac muscle: voluntary control
D) skeletal muscle: voluntary control
- Which of the following is not a connective tissue sheath that wraps individual muscle fibers?
- In a neuromuscular junction, synaptic vesicles in the motor neuron contain which neurotransmitter?
A) acetylcholine (ACh)
- a A) acetylcholine
- b aponeurosis
- c Ca2+ only
- d False
- e D) skeletal muscle: voluntary control
5 Multiple choice questions
5 True/False questions
Which muscle characteristic describes the ability of muscle to respond to a stimulus?
D) excitability → Binding of ATP
Excitation of the sarcolemma is coupled or linked to the contraction of a skeletal muscle fiber. What specific event initiates the contraction.
A) Sodium release from the sarcoplasmic reticulum initiates the contraction
B) voltage-gated proteins change shape.
C) calcium release from the sarcoplasmic reticulum initiates the contraction
D) Action potentials propagate into the interior of the skeletal muscle fiber. → D
The response of a motor unit to a single action potential of its motor neuron is called ________.
A) a muscle twitch
B) a tetanic contraction
C) wave summation
D) recruitment → A) a muscle twitch
Which event is most significant in initiating the "wave of depolarization"?
A) diffusion of acetylcholine into the muscle fiber
B) diffusion of acetylcholine down the length of the muscle fiber
C) diffusion of K+ out of the muscle fiber
D) diffusion of Na+ into the muscle fiber → C) load placed on the muscle
The distance between Z discs ________ during muscle contraction.
C) decreases and then increases
D) stays the same → D