5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Skeletal muscle cells use creatine phosphate instead of ATP to do work
- Which of the following factors influence the velocity and duration of muscle contraction?
A) muscle fiber size
B) frequency of stimulation
C) load placed on the muscle
D) length of muscle fibers activated
- The action potential on the muscle cell leads to contraction due to the release of calcium ions. Where are calcium ions stored in the muscle cell?
C) T tubule
D) terminal cisternae of the sarcoplasmic reticulum
- Skeletal muscle cells are multinucleated
- Which event is most significant in initiating the "wave of depolarization"?
A) diffusion of acetylcholine into the muscle fiber
B) diffusion of acetylcholine down the length of the muscle fiber
C) diffusion of K+ out of the muscle fiber
D) diffusion of Na+ into the muscle fiber
- a D
- b False
- c D) diffusion of Na+ into the muscle fiber
- d C) load placed on the muscle
- e True
5 Multiple choice questions
- C) voltage-gated calcium channels
5 True/False questions
The sliding filament model of contraction states that ________.
A) during contraction the thin myofilaments slide past the thick myofilaments so that calcium ions can be released from the sarcoplasmic reticulum
B) during contraction the thin myofilaments slide past the thick myofilaments so that the actin and myosin myofilaments overlap to a greater degree
C) during contraction the thin myofilaments slide past the thick myofilaments so that the actin and myosin myofilaments no longer overlap
D) during contraction the thin myofilaments slide past T tubules so that the Z discs are overlapping → C
Myasthenia gravis is sontimes treated medically by a treatment that involves → smooth
In a neuromuscular junction, synaptic vesicles in the motor neuron contain which neurotransmitter?
A) acetylcholine (ACh)
D) norepinephrine → True
Excitation of the sarcolemma is coupled or linked to the contraction of a skeletal muscle fiber. What specific event initiates the contraction.
A) Sodium release from the sarcoplasmic reticulum initiates the contraction
B) voltage-gated proteins change shape.
C) calcium release from the sarcoplasmic reticulum initiates the contraction
D) Action potentials propagate into the interior of the skeletal muscle fiber. → D
What causes the release of calcium from the terminal cisternae of the sarcoplasmic reticulum within a muscle cell?
A) calcium ion pump
D) arrival of an action potential → C) a series of proteins that control calcium release