5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Muscle contraction will always promote movement of body parts regardless of how they are attached.
- Duchenne muscular dystrophy could theoretically be cured if a technique was developed that would _________.
A) strengthen the dystrophin proteins that are present in the patient's muscle fibers
B) double the existing number of dystrophin molecules in the patient's muscle fibers
C) strengthen the thick and thin filaments in the patient's muscle fibers
D) none of the above
- When an action potential arrives at the axon terminal of a motor neuron, which ion channels open?
A) chemically gated calcium channels
B) voltage-gated potassium channels
C) voltage-gated calcium channels
D) voltage-gated sodium channels
- Which of the following is CORRECTLY paired?
A) smooth muscle: striated
B) cardiac muscle: nonstriated
C) cardiac muscle: voluntary control
D) skeletal muscle: voluntary control
- In a neuromuscular junction, synaptic vesicles in the motor neuron contain which neurotransmitter?
A) acetylcholine (ACh)
- a D) none of the above
- b D) skeletal muscle: voluntary control
- c A) acetylcholine
- d C) voltage-gated calcium channels
- e False
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- anaerobic pathway
- C) produce blood cells
- Ca2+ only
5 True/False Questions
Muscle cells store more creatine phosphate than ATP resulting in the muscle having a reserve source of energy. → smooth
What means of membrane transport is used to release the neurotransmitter into the synaptic cleft? → Exocytosis
The sliding filament model of contraction states that ________.
A) during contraction the thin myofilaments slide past the thick myofilaments so that calcium ions can be released from the sarcoplasmic reticulum
B) during contraction the thin myofilaments slide past the thick myofilaments so that the actin and myosin myofilaments overlap to a greater degree
C) during contraction the thin myofilaments slide past the thick myofilaments so that the actin and myosin myofilaments no longer overlap
D) during contraction the thin myofilaments slide past T tubules so that the Z discs are overlapping → C
Skeletal muscle cells use creatine phosphate instead of ATP to do work → False
Which muscle fiber type is best suited for endurance activities, such as long-distance jogging?
A) fast glycolytic fibers
B) fast oxidative fibers
C) slow oxidative fibers
D) slow glycolytic fibers → C) slow oxidative fibers