2) ________________ is the relationship between the length of an object on a map and that feature on the landscape.
4) If the scale of a map is 1:24,000, then 1 inch on the map represents ________ FEET on Earth's surface.
6) A system for transferring locations from a globe to a flat map is _________________________ .
8) The acquisition of data about Earth's surface from a satellite orbiting the planet or from another long-distance method is _____________________________________ .
GIS (Geographical Information System)
9) A computer system that stores, organizes, retrieves, analyzes, and displays geographic data is ____________.
10) The name given to a portion of Earth's surface is known as ____________________________.
11) __________________________ identifies a place by its location relative to other objects.
13) New York City's ________ is on the Hudson River, approximately 100 miles northeast of Philadelphia and 100 miles southwest of Boston.
14) A ship's position is given as 0 degrees latitude and 27 degrees west longitude. We can conclude from this information that the ship is located on _______________________________ .
16) The International Date Line is measured approximately from ______________ degrees longitude.
1) Style of housing 2) Local Radio Stations 3) local restaurants/menus (WAFFLE HOUSE!)
17) List 3 things that establish the South as a vernacular region of the United States.
18) The arrangement of a phenomenon across Earth's surface is _______________________________.
21) The division of the United States into nine regions by the Census Bureau is an example of a ____________.
27 ppl per sq. km
24) The population of the United States is approximately 270 million, and the land area is approximately 10 million square kilometers. The arithmetic density of the United States is approximately __________________.
An area where culture traits are developed and the origin of specific diffused traits.
25) A hearth is _______________________________________________________ .
28) Economic development through international trade is an example of ________________________ diffusion?
29) If a group of people migrated from Papua New Guinea to North America and adopted Western cultural habits, this would be an example of _______________________________ .
1) Advances in communication 2) Unequal access to cultural elements 3) Uniform Cosumption
31) Elements of globalization of culture include ________________________________________.
32) Culture means to _____________ about something and to take ______________ of something.
33) According to ________________________________, the physical environment causes social development.
34) The concept that the physical environment limits human actions, but that people have the ability to adjust to the physical environment is ____________________________ .
35) One important feature of the world's population with the most significant future implications is that the most rapid growth is occurring in the ________________________________ countries.
36) Geographers define overpopulation as too many people compared to _________________________.
Tibet and/or S. America
43) Relatively few people live at high elevations, but there are significant exceptions, especially in______________________________.
44) Physiological density is the number of persons per area _________________________________.
45) A country with a large amount of arable land and a small number of farmers will have a _____________ agricultural density. (low/high)
There is more arable land and a lower population
47) What does it mean if the physiological density of an area is much larger than the arithmetic density?
Total Fertility Rate (2.1)
48) The average number of births women bear in their lifetimes is ____________________________.
49) To study fertility, geographers most frequently use the _______________________ rate
50) The world's population in 1995 was approximately 6 billion and was expected to reach 12 billion in approximately 45 years. The period of 45 years is known as ______________________________.
51) A decline in a country's crude birth rate would result in an increase in the country's ____________________.
53) Among world countries, the spread between between the highest and lowest crude death rates is ________ than the highest and lowest crude birth rates.
Crude Birth Rate
55) The total number of live births per year per 1,000 people in a society is the ________________________.
56) The highest natural increase rates are found in countries in which stage of the demographic transition?
57) The lowest crude birth rates are found in countries in which stage of the demographic transition?
58) The highest crude death rates are found in countries in which stage of the demographic transition?
59) Country X has a crude birth rate of 40 and a crude death rate of 15. In what stage of the demographic transition is this country?