5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- national government under the articles of Confederation
- Valley Forge
- British Southern Strategy
- Shay's Rebellion
- Battle of Long Island
- a The government was weak under the Articles and only included a legislative branch
- b a rebellion of 2000 rebels from Massachusetts who raided a federal arsenal and the national government was unable to put them down. Led people to realize that a new Constitution was necessary and led to the Constitutional Convention.
- c After losing battles in Philadelphia, Americans were forced to Valley Forge where they could keep an eye on the British in Philadelphia. The conditions were bad for the Americans as they were cold, shoeless, and blanketless. This is where Ben Franklin's daughter and Martha Washington came to help the Americans with supplies. Baron von Steuben came and trained the Americans to be more professional military fighters
- d The British after the loss at Saratoga decided to head south to conquer the southern colonies. They were successful conquering Savannah and Charleston and then began to head north.
- e 1777; occurred after the Declaration of Independence was sent to England. King George III launched the largest naval attack in history up to 1942. It was a British victory and caused Washington to retreat to New Jersey
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- the founders faced a problem writing the first constitution because the citizens feared a strong national government
- Britain's goal in the New England Colonies after Trenton became to cut off the New England colonies from the other colonies. Burgoyne would lead forces down from Canada and Howe would bring forces north from NYC
- untrained Americans hid in the woods and launched surprise attacks on the British as they progressed northward from Savannah and Charleston weakening the British army
- better leadership, foreign aid, knowledge of land, civilian help, motivation: "the cause"
- Second major battle of the revolutionary war. It was a British victory but an American moral victory because they were able to hold off the oncoming British soldiers for two charges before being defeated
5 True/False Questions
Battle of Saratoga → After progressing northwards and being weakened by guerilla fighters, the British went to Yorktown on the Chesapeake Bay to regroup and wait for supplies. While there the French blockaded the bay and the Americans came down to block the British on the peninsula. The british were forced to surrender, and after this Battle the war lost popular support in Britain.
Battle of Yorktown → After progressing northwards and being weakened by guerilla fighters, the British went to Yorktown on the Chesapeake Bay to regroup and wait for supplies. While there the French blockaded the bay and the Americans came down to block the British on the peninsula. The british were forced to surrender, and after this Battle the war lost popular support in Britain.
Northwest Ordinance → gave people the right in the northwestern lands to organize their own government and then ask to be admitted as a new state to the union; the most important achievement under the articles of Confederation
confederation → pamphlet written by Thomas Paine that explains that the colonies needed independence and should form a democratic republic
Treaty of Paris 1783 → high casualty rate, $27 million debt, republicanism, free enterprise