5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Valley Forge
- legacy of war
- national government under the articles of Confederation
- Lexington and Concord
- Reasons for colonial success
- a high casualty rate, $27 million debt, republicanism, free enterprise
- b First battles of the Revolution, where the "shot heard 'round the world" was heard.
- c better leadership, foreign aid, knowledge of land, civilian help, motivation: "the cause"
- d After losing battles in Philadelphia, Americans were forced to Valley Forge where they could keep an eye on the British in Philadelphia. The conditions were bad for the Americans as they were cold, shoeless, and blanketless. This is where Ben Franklin's daughter and Martha Washington came to help the Americans with supplies. Baron von Steuben came and trained the Americans to be more professional military fighters
- e The government was weak under the Articles and only included a legislative branch
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The British after the loss at Saratoga decided to head south to conquer the southern colonies. They were successful conquering Savannah and Charleston and then began to head north.
- gave people the right in the northwestern lands to organize their own government and then ask to be admitted as a new state to the union; the most important achievement under the articles of Confederation
- the founders faced a problem writing the first constitution because the citizens feared a strong national government
- Officially recognized US independence, gave America all land south of Canda, North of Florida, and east of the Mississippi; other things were negotiated but never happened, including the repayment of debts, the returning of slaves, and the returning of stolen property to the loyalists
- First constitution of the United States; passed in 1777 by Congress and by all states in 1781
5 True/False Questions
Shay's Rebellion → a rebellion of 2000 rebels from Massachusetts who raided a federal arsenal and the national government was unable to put them down. Led people to realize that a new Constitution was necessary and led to the Constitutional Convention.
Second Continental Congress → better leadership, foreign aid, knowledge of land, civilian help, motivation: "the cause"
Battle of Saratoga → 1777; in Burgoyne's route south he was surprised by colonial militia hiding in trees. This was the turning point of the war and an American victory
Divide and Conquer → Britain's goal in the New England Colonies after Trenton became to cut off the New England colonies from the other colonies. Burgoyne would lead forces down from Canada and Howe would bring forces north from NYC
Battle of Trenton → After progressing northwards and being weakened by guerilla fighters, the British went to Yorktown on the Chesapeake Bay to regroup and wait for supplies. While there the French blockaded the bay and the Americans came down to block the British on the peninsula. The british were forced to surrender, and after this Battle the war lost popular support in Britain.