5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Battle of Saratoga
- Valley Forge
- Articles of Confederation
- Battle of Yorktown
- Second Continental Congress
- a After progressing northwards and being weakened by guerilla fighters, the British went to Yorktown on the Chesapeake Bay to regroup and wait for supplies. While there the French blockaded the bay and the Americans came down to block the British on the peninsula. The british were forced to surrender, and after this Battle the war lost popular support in Britain.
- b First constitution of the United States; passed in 1777 by Congress and by all states in 1781
- c the legislative body of the colonies that acted as the uniting government. Before the revoltuon they formed a committee for foreign affairs, formed a Continental Army, write the Olive Branch Petition, and printed paper money
- d After losing battles in Philadelphia, Americans were forced to Valley Forge where they could keep an eye on the British in Philadelphia. The conditions were bad for the Americans as they were cold, shoeless, and blanketless. This is where Ben Franklin's daughter and Martha Washington came to help the Americans with supplies. Baron von Steuben came and trained the Americans to be more professional military fighters
- e 1777; in Burgoyne's route south he was surprised by colonial militia hiding in trees. This was the turning point of the war and an American victory
5 Multiple choice questions
- the founders faced a problem writing the first constitution because the citizens feared a strong national government
- 1777; occurred after the Declaration of Independence was sent to England. King George III launched the largest naval attack in history up to 1942. It was a British victory and caused Washington to retreat to New Jersey
- better leadership, foreign aid, knowledge of land, civilian help, motivation: "the cause"
- Britain's goal in the New England Colonies after Trenton became to cut off the New England colonies from the other colonies. Burgoyne would lead forces down from Canada and Howe would bring forces north from NYC
- Washington launched a surprise attack on the Hessians stationed across the Delaware. It occurred the day after Christmas and led to an American victory
5 True/False questions
national government under the articles of Confederation → The government was weak under the Articles and only included a legislative branch
Turning Point → After the victory at Saratoga the French decided to ally with the Patriots
Northwest Ordinance → After losing battles in Philadelphia, Americans were forced to Valley Forge where they could keep an eye on the British in Philadelphia. The conditions were bad for the Americans as they were cold, shoeless, and blanketless. This is where Ben Franklin's daughter and Martha Washington came to help the Americans with supplies. Baron von Steuben came and trained the Americans to be more professional military fighters
British Southern Strategy → The British after the loss at Saratoga decided to head south to conquer the southern colonies. They were successful conquering Savannah and Charleston and then began to head north.
confederation → pamphlet written by Thomas Paine that explains that the colonies needed independence and should form a democratic republic