5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- British Southern Strategy
- legacy of war
- Battle of Long Island
- Valley Forge
- a After losing battles in Philadelphia, Americans were forced to Valley Forge where they could keep an eye on the British in Philadelphia. The conditions were bad for the Americans as they were cold, shoeless, and blanketless. This is where Ben Franklin's daughter and Martha Washington came to help the Americans with supplies. Baron von Steuben came and trained the Americans to be more professional military fighters
- b a body of individually governed states brought together under a national government
- c 1777; occurred after the Declaration of Independence was sent to England. King George III launched the largest naval attack in history up to 1942. It was a British victory and caused Washington to retreat to New Jersey
- d The British after the loss at Saratoga decided to head south to conquer the southern colonies. They were successful conquering Savannah and Charleston and then began to head north.
- e high casualty rate, $27 million debt, republicanism, free enterprise
5 Multiple choice questions
- Second major battle of the revolutionary war. It was a British victory but an American moral victory because they were able to hold off the oncoming British soldiers for two charges before being defeated
- Washington launched a surprise attack on the Hessians stationed across the Delaware. It occurred the day after Christmas and led to an American victory
- Officially recognized US independence, gave America all land south of Canda, North of Florida, and east of the Mississippi; other things were negotiated but never happened, including the repayment of debts, the returning of slaves, and the returning of stolen property to the loyalists
- First constitution of the United States; passed in 1777 by Congress and by all states in 1781
- After progressing northwards and being weakened by guerilla fighters, the British went to Yorktown on the Chesapeake Bay to regroup and wait for supplies. While there the French blockaded the bay and the Americans came down to block the British on the peninsula. The british were forced to surrender, and after this Battle the war lost popular support in Britain.
5 True/False questions
Northwest Ordinance → gave people the right in the northwestern lands to organize their own government and then ask to be admitted as a new state to the union; the most important achievement under the articles of Confederation
Lexington and Concord → First battles of the Revolution, where the "shot heard 'round the world" was heard.
Common Sense → pamphlet written by Thomas Paine that explains that the colonies needed independence and should form a democratic republic
Reasons for colonial success → better leadership, foreign aid, knowledge of land, civilian help, motivation: "the cause"
Second Continental Congress → the legislative body of the colonies that acted as the uniting government. Before the revoltuon they formed a committee for foreign affairs, formed a Continental Army, write the Olive Branch Petition, and printed paper money