5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Battle of Saratoga
- national government under the articles of Confederation
- Battle of Yorktown
- Battle of Trenton
- Reasons for colonial success
- a After progressing northwards and being weakened by guerilla fighters, the British went to Yorktown on the Chesapeake Bay to regroup and wait for supplies. While there the French blockaded the bay and the Americans came down to block the British on the peninsula. The british were forced to surrender, and after this Battle the war lost popular support in Britain.
- b The government was weak under the Articles and only included a legislative branch
- c Washington launched a surprise attack on the Hessians stationed across the Delaware. It occurred the day after Christmas and led to an American victory
- d 1777; in Burgoyne's route south he was surprised by colonial militia hiding in trees. This was the turning point of the war and an American victory
- e better leadership, foreign aid, knowledge of land, civilian help, motivation: "the cause"
5 Multiple choice questions
- Second major battle of the revolutionary war. It was a British victory but an American moral victory because they were able to hold off the oncoming British soldiers for two charges before being defeated
- Officially recognized US independence, gave America all land south of Canda, North of Florida, and east of the Mississippi; other things were negotiated but never happened, including the repayment of debts, the returning of slaves, and the returning of stolen property to the loyalists
- After the victory at Saratoga the French decided to ally with the Patriots
- The British after the loss at Saratoga decided to head south to conquer the southern colonies. They were successful conquering Savannah and Charleston and then began to head north.
- Britain's goal in the New England Colonies after Trenton became to cut off the New England colonies from the other colonies. Burgoyne would lead forces down from Canada and Howe would bring forces north from NYC
5 True/False questions
confederation → pamphlet written by Thomas Paine that explains that the colonies needed independence and should form a democratic republic
Valley Forge → After losing battles in Philadelphia, Americans were forced to Valley Forge where they could keep an eye on the British in Philadelphia. The conditions were bad for the Americans as they were cold, shoeless, and blanketless. This is where Ben Franklin's daughter and Martha Washington came to help the Americans with supplies. Baron von Steuben came and trained the Americans to be more professional military fighters
problems with first Constitution → the founders faced a problem writing the first constitution because the citizens feared a strong national government
legacy of war → high casualty rate, $27 million debt, republicanism, free enterprise
Common Sense → After losing battles in Philadelphia, Americans were forced to Valley Forge where they could keep an eye on the British in Philadelphia. The conditions were bad for the Americans as they were cold, shoeless, and blanketless. This is where Ben Franklin's daughter and Martha Washington came to help the Americans with supplies. Baron von Steuben came and trained the Americans to be more professional military fighters