5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- uncontrolled negative events can lower immune system functioning
- NOT: classical
- learned helplessness
- a Mark's dog, Gus, sits whenever Mark says, "Sit." Mark now wants to teach Gus a new trick. He wants to teach him to bark every time he says, "Speak," but whenever Mark says, "Speak," Gus just sits. The dog's behavior is an example of
- b Your sorority sister is a pre-law student. After reading about the importance of control over aversive events, she decides that pop quizzes can cause physical harm and should be banned as students have no control over when they will occur. Her position has some merit because
- c If, through experience, you come to the conclusion that all things are beyond your control and therefore you should not even try, you are exhibiting
- d What principles of learning do behavior modification programs rely on in order to help people change?
- e Pavlov's dog learned to anticipate food whenever he was presented with stimuli associated with food. Pavlov knew that his dog associated specific stimuli with food because the ________ was elicited by the stimuli.
5 Multiple choice questions
- You are surprised to discover that classical conditioning can produce immunosuppression. The original discovery of this phenomenon involved rats, but more recent studies indicate that immunosuppression may also occur in humans. This means that
- As Natalie, who has extremely long nails, approaches the chalkboard, many of her classmates cover their ears. What represents the conditioned stimulus?
- Some bears kept in captivity allow veterinarians to routinely give them total body checkups. These bears open their mouths for teeth cleaning and present their paws for nail clipping. Your friend wonders how anyone could ever get these dangerous animals to be so cooperative without anesthesia. From your study of psychology, you quickly surmise that the bears have undergone an extensive ________ program.
- How does culture influence human learning
- Which of the following is the response most parents give when asked why they physically punish their children?
5 True/False questions
associative learning → Little Millie covers her ears every time she sees a flash of lightening during a storm. This reaction demonstrates
immunosuppression. → Mark's dog, Gus, sits whenever Mark says, "Sit." Mark now wants to teach Gus a new trick. He wants to teach him to bark every time he says, "Speak," but whenever Mark says, "Speak," Gus just sits. The dog's behavior is an example of
candy → Which of the following is a primary reinforcer?
NOT: part of the reconditioning process → Pavlov's dog salivated each time food was presented. Salivation in this situation was the
NOT: associative learning. → Anticipating a scary event whenever eerie music is played in a movie is a function of