important concepts 8&9
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- third punac war
- julio-claudian emperors
- economic problems:
- religion and philosophy
- roman art and architecture
- a polytheistic, believed in spirits and natural things, greek gods, emperors worshiped, honored gods by offerings and prayers, messages from gods came from dead things. philosophy: encouraged romans to live practocly, parcicipate in public affairs.
- b farmers lost land. people bought fewer goods. inflation occured. oncreasing prices. coind lost value.
- c Tiberius :): ruled for 8 yrs then retire too stressful. Caligula :(: favorite person was horse. made it senate. had people murderd. Claudius :). Nero :( made rome on fire &watched killed his wife.
- d rome ruled western miditerranian. rome burned carthage took 50,000 people as slaves then salted the earth. rome began to all the miderterranian "our sea"
- e romans sculped realistically. they borrowed columns and porches. added arches and domes (from greeks) concrete buildings.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- the latins, built rome on 7 hills,(good for defence) locaded on crossroads
- large farming estates created when wealthy Romans bought small farms
- a person who served the people and ruled temporarly during energencies
- crossed Rubicon R. (point of no return) then defeats Pompey. then declaired himself dictator for life. he filled senate w/ friends.created calander. had as many enimied as supporters. then got killed march 15
- partering grew: sell goods without using money
5 True/False Questions
engineering → paterfamilies "father of family" was important, boys learrned math, rading writing, rhetotic bu tutor. girls learned read &write at home. poor uneducated. women had some rights but not full citizens. freedom depended on hudband wealth.
what was the status of allies? → they gave others the status of allies, means they could rule theit own affairs
Roman laws: 12 tables, law of nations, "rule of law" → they gave others the status of allies, means they could rule theit own affairs
476AD?? → agriculture was center of economy. industry grew. trade centured around Puteoli & Ostia. Road building wad key to trade and defence, 50000 miles of roads. established common curtisy and atandarized weights. inequality amoung classes still existed.
second punic war → 1st: rome &carthage both controled sicily. rome sent army 2 sicily. they didnt have navy so rome built one. 20 yrs l8er rome crushed carthage. sicily went 2 rome. carthage paied a large fine