5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Andrew Carnegie
- Henry Ford
- Edward Bellamy
- Thomas Edison
- Haymarket Bombing
- a in Chicago, a strike was taking place at McCormick Harvester Company, when the city police began harassing the strikers and trying to make them disperse in Haymarket Square, when someone threw a bomb that killed seven policemen and injured 67 others, and the policemen, firing into the crowd, killed 4 more people. Conservative Americans demanded retribution, 8 anarchists were tried and sentenced to death. One committed suicide, four were executed and two others had their sentences commuted to life in prison. The bombing represented a new fear of social chaos and radicalism, especially of anarchism.
- b A Scottish immigrant who had worked his way up from modest beginings and in 1873 opened his own steelworks in Pittsburgh. Soon he dominated the industry.
- c Wrote a utopian novel Looking Backward, published in 1888, sold more than 1 million copies. His book was a description of a utopian society in the year 2000, based on nationalism.
- d Introduced the movable assembly line with his automobile plants in 1914. This process stressed the complete interchangablity of parts.
- e Invented the incandescent lamp, or lightbulb.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Englishman and American who developed a process for converting iron into the much more durable and versatile steel. There was also the Bessemer process, this consisted of blowing out the impurities of iron and making it a much stonger metal.
- Formed in 1869 under the leadership of Uriah Stephens. A national labor organization open to all who were "tolied." Meaning all workers, business men, proffessional people, and virtually all women. This group wanted 8-hr days and no child labor.
- 1901, written by Andrew Carnegie. In it he said how the wealthy should consider all revenues in excess of their own needs "trust funds" to be used for the good of the community.
- the name commonly applied to members of a secret militant labor organization that sometimes used violence. It originated in Ireland.
- Invented the typewriter in 1868.
5 True/False questions
Henry George → Introduced the movable assembly line with his automobile plants in 1914. This process stressed the complete interchangablity of parts.
Cyrus W. Field → Introduced the movable assembly line with his automobile plants in 1914. This process stressed the complete interchangablity of parts.
Isaac Singer → Patented a sewing machine in 1851 and created I. M. Singer and Company. One of the first modern manufacturing corperations.
Edwin Drake → in Chicago in 1894, Pullman cut wages but refused to lower rents in the company town. So the workers went on strike.
Horizontal integration → The taking over of all the different businesses on which a company relied for its primary function.