5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Molly Maguires
- Homestead Strike
- Andrew Carnegie
- Labor Contract Law
- Edwin Drake
- a Industrial employers recruited many immigrants under this contract until its repeal in 1885. It permitted them to pay for the passage of workers in advance and deduct the amount later from their wages.
- b when Carnegie and his chief lieutenant Frick repeatedly cut wages at the Homestead plant, the union Amalgamated, was given two days to accept another wage cut, or call for a strike. The union chose to strike. They turned violent by starting a fire on water and being on the docks with guns.
- c One of Bissell's employees who in 1859, established the first oil well near Titusville, Pa. It produced 500 barrels a month.
- d A Scottish immigrant who had worked his way up from modest beginings and in 1873 opened his own steelworks in Pittsburgh. Soon he dominated the industry.
- e the name commonly applied to members of a secret militant labor organization that sometimes used violence. It originated in Ireland.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The application of Charles Darwin's law of evolution and natural selection among species to human society. In a human society only the fittest individuals survived nd flourished in the marketplace.
- A banker who, in 1901, bought Carnigie Steel for 450 million. He merged this steel company with his others and created a giant United States Steel Corperation. This controlled 2/3 of the country's steel production.
- in Chicago in 1894, Pullman cut wages but refused to lower rents in the company town. So the workers went on strike.
- developed the first telephone with commercial capacity.
- founded in the 1870s and led for many years by Daniel De Leon, an immigrant from the west indies. He attracted a modest following in the industrial cities, but his party never became a major one. In 1901 they eventually broke away and formed the American Socialist Party.
5 True/False Questions
Taylorism → Invented the cash register in 1878.
Terence V. Powderly → 1866, laid a transatlantic telegraph cable to Europe.
Pool Arrangements → Informal agreements among various companies to stabalize rates and divide markets.
Lester Frank Ward → A sociologist who wrote Dynamic Sociology in 1883. He argued that civilization was not governed by natural selection, but by human intellegence, which was capable of shaping society as it wished.
Pinkertons → Proposed by Henry George, for land it would replace all other texes, which would return the increment to the people. He thought this would distribute wealth more equally and eliminate poverty.