← us presidents Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- george washington
- james madison
- chester a arthur
- thomas jefferson
- a 21st::signed pendleton act, which instituted the civil service. signed Chinese exclusion act
- b 3rd president; , Preferred states rights limited terms for senators, was pro-French, and a strict or "narrow" constructionist (leader of the Democratic-Republican Party ), louisiana purchase, , Embargo Act, tried to maintain neutral, also lewis&clark expodition
- c 1st president; , Virginian, patriot, general, and president. Lived at Mount Vernon. Led the Revolutionary Army in the fight for independence. First President of the United States. urged united states to stay neutral, and to not form political parties
- d 4th president; , A co-author of the Federalist Papers, he was an influential delegate of the Constitutional Convention later to be called the Father of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. By writing the Bill of Rights, he secured the faith of those who were not sure about the Constitution. was a strict-constructionist. during presidency, lead nation thru war of 1812
- e 5th president; , Era of Good Feeling, Missouri Compromise, Believed US should no longer get involved in wars against European powers
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- 9th president;, governor of Indiana Territory, assembled a small army and advanced on Prophet town. The Indians were overpowered, but the Battle of Tippecanoe pushed Tecumseh to join forced with Britain against the U.S. Britain's constant attempts to challenge U.S. authority and destabilize the unity of the states angered American and pushed the U.S. closer to war. also, 1st whig president & 1st president o die in office (died after 1 month)
- 8th president; he was experienced in legislative and administrative life. He passed the Divorce Bill which placed the federal surplus in vaults located in large cities and denied the backing system, , hand picked by Andrew Jackson to be his successor, caused the trail of tears and panic of 1837.
- 6th president; Democratic-Republican. Secretary of State under Monroe. Skilled diplomat as evidenced by the Adams-Onis Treaty and the Treaty of Ghent. Wrote the Monroe Doctrine. Accused of winning the presidency with a "corrupt bargain" with Clay. Repealed the Gag Rule in 1845.
- 17th president; Loyal to the Union. Issued Proclaimation of Amnesty to strengthen the one Licoln previously issued. Offered to pardon all former citizens of the Confederacy who prmised to be loyal to the Union and the return of thier property. He required Southern states to ratify 13th Ammend. abolishing slavery.
- 7th president; a general in the War of 1812 defeated the British at New Orleans (1815). As president he opposed the Bank of America, objected to the right of individual states to nullify disagreeable federal laws, and increased the presidential powers., Indian removal act, nullification crisis, nickname:"Old Hickory," first southern/ western president," President for the common man," pet banks, spoils system, specie circular, trail of tears, Henry Clay Flectural Process.
5 True/False Questions
zachary taylor → 10th president; took over for harrison when he died, President favored states rights; critical of American system and economic nationalism; vetoed creation of third national bank; supported cheap land purchasing in west and western expansionist goals; wanted Texas in union
abraham lincoln → 15th president; bleeding kansas, John Brown's Raid, Dred Scott Case, South Seceded from Union
franklin pierce → 14th President ; policy of foreign expansionism; envoy to Japan open door policy and supported creation of new markets in China; Ostend Manifesto; wanted to free Cuba from Spanish control; promoted Kansas-Nebraska Act; reopened slavery issue in new territory
john adams → 10th president; took over for harrison when he died, President favored states rights; critical of American system and economic nationalism; vetoed creation of third national bank; supported cheap land purchasing in west and western expansionist goals; wanted Texas in union
john tyler → 2nd president; , He was the second president of the United States and a Federalist. He was responsible for passing the Alien and Sedition Acts. Prevented all out war with France after the XYZ Affair. His passing of the Alien and Sedition Acts severely hurt the popularity of the Federalist party and himself