5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Constitutional Court
- Confederation of Independent States
- statism in Russia
- Mikhail Gorbachev
- a The collecting of private industry under government ownership and control
- b Final Party Secretary for the Communist Party before the Russian Federation.
- c Russians would rather have a strong state to protect them over civil liberties
- d An organization that weakly unites the fifteen former republics of the Soviet Union.
- e The judicial branch of the Russian Federation created by the Constitution of 1993. It is made up of nineteen members appointed by the President and confirmed by the Federation Council. It is in charge of making sure laws are constitutional.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- China's version of communism; it shares Marx's vision of equality and cooperation, but believes strongly in preserving China's peasant-based economy.
- Gorbachev's economic reform that transferred many economic powers from the central government to private hands and the market economy.
- A group of 300 party leaders that met twice a year.
- Russia was defeated in this war in the mid-1800s. It convinced many that the tsars were moving Russia backward and needed reform.
- The group of around a dozen men who ran the country, They were the heart and soul of the Communist Party.
5 True/False Questions
Yabloko → The reformist party that best stands for pro-democracy. Led by Grigori Yavlinski, it does best with the intellectuals.
tsars → Historic autocratic rulers of Russia
head of state → An emphasis on freedom of speech and press started by Gorbachev
Red Army → Rule by a few. In Russia these few control the majority of the economy.
civil society in Russia → People receive the same, regardless of work or effort. Russians dislike inequality in wealth or income