5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Red Army
- Catherine the Great
- United Russia Party
- Gorbachev's three-pronged reform plan
- a Started by Krushchev's secret speech, this was a process that led to reforms such as loosening government censorship of the press, decentralization of economic decision-making, and restructuring of the collective farms.
- b Gorbachev planned to save the country through his programs of glasnost, democratization, and perestroika
- c Founded as a merger of parties to support Putin after his election in 2000. (created in April, 2001). It is the major party in the Russian Federation.
- d Helped build Russia into a great empire. They took control of Poland.
- e Communist forces led by Lenin in the 1918 Civil War
5 Multiple choice questions
- Some regions are more powerful than others, so power is devolved unequally across the country.
- A powerful CPSU head
- First President of the Russian Federation and former Soviet Politburo member
- Russians would rather have a strong state to protect them over civil liberties
- Started by Lenin in 1920, it allowed for private ownership under centralized leadership.
5 True/False questions
equality of result in Russia → People receive the same, regardless of work or effort. Russians dislike inequality in wealth or income
Slavophile → "lover of Slavs," tradition leads to pride in Slavic customs etc.
proportional representation in Russia → Russia's lower house, the Duma, is elected only on party lists, and parties can only get seats if they receive 7% or more of the national votes.
collectivization → Large farms owned and run by the state
state corporatism → Government control of organizations, the government is "channeling" the voice of the people. Interest groups are controlled by the government.