5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- civil society in Russia
- Vladimir Zhirinovsky
- near abroad
- a The Communist Party of the Russian Federation, it is the second-strongest party. The party emphasizes centralized planning and nationalism, and implies an intention to regain territories lost when the Soviet Union broke apart.
- b Those foreign countries that are close to Russia, particularly former Warsaw Pact and USSR members.
- c Russians did not generally have a lot of privacy free of state control, unlike the West. There are a limited number of private organizations.
- d The group of around a dozen men who ran the country, They were the heart and soul of the Communist Party.
- e Leader of the Liberal Democrats
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The largely Muslim population of this region in the Caucasus has been fighting for its independence
- Historic autocratic rulers of Russia
- Communist forces led by Lenin in the 1918 Civil War
- Regional assemblies started by Tsar Alexander II
- The largest cleavage point in the Russian Federation, This is due to the fact that Russian territory covers so much and such diverse geography
5 True/False Questions
Stalinism → The ideas of communism created by Karl Marx. It predicted the demise of the capitalist West.
perestroika → Gorbachev's economic reform that transferred many economic powers from the central government to private hands and the market economy.
Russian Orthodox Church → The state church in Russia that was controlled by the tsars.
statism in Russia → Original leader of the Bolsheviks and first ruler of Communist Russia
Confederation of Independent States → Created the publicly-elected office of President, held in check by the Duma. It created a three-branch government. It is a semipresidential system and has a Constitutional Court