5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- personality disorders
- In ______________, the affected person is aggressive and ruthless, and shows no sign of the conscience that would inhibit wrongdoing.
- In an attempt to lose some of the weight gained by binge eating, Melissa uses laxatives and exercises until she is exhausted. Melissa most clearly demonstrates symptoms of:
- Years after he barely survived a terrorist attack that killed his wife and two children, Mr. Puskari suffers recurring flashbacks and frequent nightmares of the event. They render him incapable of holding a steady job. Mr. Puskari is most clearly showing signs of:
- a bulimia nervosa.
- b antisocial personality disorder
- c a group of severe disorders characterized by disorganized and delusional thinking, disturbed perceptions, and inappropriate emotions and behaviors.
- d post-traumatic stress disorder.
- e psychological disorders characterized by inflexible and enduring behavior patterns that impair social functioning.
5 Multiple choice questions
- the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, with an updated "text revision"; a widely used system for classifying psychological disorders.
- rare dissociative disorder in which a person exhibits two or more distinct and alternating personalities. Formerly called multiple personality disorder.
- a mood disorder marked by a hyperactive, wildly optimistic state.
- generalized anxiety disorder.
- dissociative disorder.
5 True/False questions
phobia → an anxiety disorder marked by a persistent, irrational fear and avoidance of a specific object, activity, or situation.
Spencer has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. His parents have a difficult time understanding him because his speech is fragmented and bizarre. He jumps from one idea to another, sometimes within sentences, creating a: → agoraphobia.
Although she is underweight, Lindsey is extremely afraid of becoming obese. She often checks her body in the mirror for any signs of fat and refuses to eat most foods because she insists they are fatty or high in calories. Lindsey most clearly demonstrates symptoms of: → phobia.
___________ is characterized by moods that alternate between the hopelessness and lethargy of depression and the euphoric, hyperactive state of mania. → Bipolar disorder
Trina suffers from depression. Her physician has placed her on an antidepressant called Paxil that will help to increase her ____________ supplies by blocking reuptake so that her receptor sites get enough of this neurotransmitter. → serotonin