5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What mineral resources are found in this region?
- What are the Greater Antilles and Lesser Antilles?
- Name the major mineral resources in Mexico.
- Describe in detail the environmental problems facing Mexico City.
- a Small gold fields have been discovered throughout Central America. Jamaica has major deposits of bauxite. Cuba and the Dominican Republic produce nickel. Trinidad has oil.
- b The motor vehicles and factories release chemicals into the air which result in smog that can burn eyes and throats. People have pumped the wells so heavily that the ground has begun to sink and take the buildings with it.
- c The Greater Antilles include the large islands of Cuba, Hispaniola, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico. They also include the some 700 islands that make up the Bahamas. The Lesser Antilles include more than 20 small island countries and territories. The Greater and Lesser Antilles are the major island groups of the West Indies.
- d silver, gold, iron, lead, mercury
- e a large plains area in Northeastern Colombia and western Venezuela
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Spanish is spoken in Cuba, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. English is also an official language in Puerto Rico. French and Creole are official languages of Haiti. Creole is a blend of European, African, or Caribbean Indian languages. In Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles, many people speak Papamiento. This creole language combines elements of Spanish, Dutch, and Portugese.
- It is the second largest urban area in the world after Tokyo.
- The city lies on a dry lake bed, so the soils underneath are soft and unstable.
5 True/False Questions
Pampas → a type of tree from which we get cocoa beans
What kind of climate does the Patagonia have? → a semiarid and arid climate
What is the driest region in South America? → more than 5,000 years ago
What are the major challenges facing Mexico? → Mexico City has too few jobs so many people live in shacks without electricity and running water. Mexico City also suffers from terrible air pollution. Parts of southern Mexico have inadequate schools and poorly developed telephone communication and transportation.
What are the problems associated with air pollution? → The Greater Antilles include the large islands of Cuba, Hispaniola, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico. They also include the some 700 islands that make up the Bahamas. The Lesser Antilles include more than 20 small island countries and territories. The Greater and Lesser Antilles are the major island groups of the West Indies.