5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What was the capital city of the ancient Aztec empire?
- On what legend did the Aztecs found the town Tenochtitlan?
- What are the key natural resources in South America?
- What did the Portugese establish as the key crop in what is now Brazil?
- a Their god advised them to build where they saw an eagle eating a snake while perched on a cactus.
- b rich mineral desposits, fertile soils, climates suitable for farming, rivers, rain forests, gold and silver, copper, iron ore, bauxite, and petroleum
- c Tenochtitlan
- d a type of tree from which we get cocoa beans
- e sugar cane
5 Multiple choice questions
- Tropical wet and dry climates are typical. Temperatures seldom vary more than 10 degrees Fahrenheit between summer and winter. During winter, high pressure generally brings dry weather. A summer rainy season results when low pressure cells begin to move north across the region.
- more than 5,000 years ago
- An earthquake in 1985 damaged much of Mexico City. This informed people of the environmental issues. Efforts were launched to save the Metropolitan Cathedral and improve the city's air quality.
- The Spaniards destroyed it and built Mexico City on the ruins.
- more than 12,000 years ago
5 True/False questions
maquiladoras → large slums that surround major cities (in Brazil)
Name 3 factors that explain Mexico's climate. → 1. Pacific subtropical high pressure cell
2. northeast tradewinds
favelas → a type of tree from which we get cocoa beans
Describe in detail the environmental problems facing Mexico City. → Mexico City has too few jobs so many people live in shacks without electricity and running water. Mexico City also suffers from terrible air pollution. Parts of southern Mexico have inadequate schools and poorly developed telephone communication and transportation.
What mineral resources are found in this region? → This region has volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, and mud slides.