5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Describe and locate the main languages spoken in the Caribbean.
- What unique advantages did the Spanish have that allowed them to conquer the Aztecs?
- What effects have earthquakes had on the city?
- What are the Greater Antilles and Lesser Antilles?
- What are the problems associated with air pollution?
- a An earthquake in 1985 damaged much of Mexico City. This informed people of the environmental issues. Efforts were launched to save the Metropolitan Cathedral and improve the city's air quality.
- b muskets, horses, and diseases
- c Factories and cars that release chemicals and toxins into the air cause air pollution.
- d The Greater Antilles include the large islands of Cuba, Hispaniola, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico. They also include the some 700 islands that make up the Bahamas. The Lesser Antilles include more than 20 small island countries and territories. The Greater and Lesser Antilles are the major island groups of the West Indies.
- e Spanish is spoken in Cuba, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. English is also an official language in Puerto Rico. French and Creole are official languages of Haiti. Creole is a blend of European, African, or Caribbean Indian languages. In Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles, many people speak Papamiento. This creole language combines elements of Spanish, Dutch, and Portugese.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- desire for gold and silver
- the Amazon River Basin
- in the 1530s
- Tropical wet and dry climates are typical. Temperatures seldom vary more than 10 degrees Fahrenheit between summer and winter. During winter, high pressure generally brings dry weather. A summer rainy season results when low pressure cells begin to move north across the region.
5 True/False Questions
Where are the largest reserves of oil in South America? → rich mineral desposits, fertile soils, climates suitable for farming, rivers, rain forests, gold and silver, copper, iron ore, bauxite, and petroleum
Name the three great river systems in South America. → *Amazon
What is the major religion in Mexico? → Atacama desert of Northern Chile and Southern Peru
What are the main languages spoken in South America? → Spanish, Portugese, Dutch, English, French, Quechua, Guarani, and Portunol
What is Mexico's most valuable natural resource? → petroleum