5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- When did people first enter South America?
- What is the population of the Caribbean?
- What is the future of tourism in the region?
- What is Mexico's most valuable natural resource?
- Including French Guiana, how many countries are in South America?
- a petroleum
- b about 36 million people as of 2000
- c Many island leaders see tourism as the great hope for the future economic growth. Tourism takes land that could be used for farming and the jobs are mostly seasonal and have low pay, though. Tourism does bring needed jobs and reduces unemployment.
- d 13
- e more than 12,000 years ago
5 Multiple choice questions
- The motor vehicles and factories release chemicals into the air which result in smog that can burn eyes and throats. People have pumped the wells so heavily that the ground has begun to sink and take the buildings with it.
- rich mineral desposits, fertile soils, climates suitable for farming, rivers, rain forests, gold and silver, copper, iron ore, bauxite, and petroleum
- Factories and cars that release chemicals and toxins into the air cause air pollution.
- a narrow strip of land connecting two larger land areas
- more than 5,000 years ago
5 True/False questions
When did the Spaniards, under Francisco Pizarro, conquer the Incas? → 1519
Where do most Central American Indians live? → Guatemala
What is unusual about Mexico's rivers? → Roman Catholic
What is NAFTA? → special factories in Mexico owned mainly by American companies
El nino → ocean and weather patterns in which the Southeastern Pacific Ocean is warmer than usual, affecting regional climates