5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Name and describe the five elevation zones of the Andes are.
- When did people first enter South America?
- Describe the four major issues facing South America today.
- What are the main languages spoken in South America?
- How large is Mexico City?
- a Spanish, Portugese, Dutch, English, French, Quechua, Guarani, and Portunol
- b It is the second largest urban area in the world after Tokyo.
- c *Tierra helada- above 16,000 feet (permanently covered with snow)
*Paramo- 10,000 to 16,000 feet (potatoes, grasslands and hardy shrubs, grazing)
*Tierra fria- 6,000 to 10,000 feet (potatoes, wheat, oats, barley, beans, corn, rye)
*tierra templada- 3,000 to 6,000 feet (coffee, corn, wheat, cotton, potatoes, sugar cane, tobacco)
*tierra cliente- sea level to 3,000 feet (bananas, cacao, rice, sugar cane)
- d 1. loss of the Amazon rainforest because of new farms and ranches
2. soil exhaustion threatens south America's future. Overgrazing and loss of soil nutrients is causing this problem.
3. Political issues also cause conflict. Many South American countries have been involved in border disputes often over areas with valuable resources.
4. Violence is a problem. Terrorism is present in many South American countries, particularly Colombia.
- e more than 12,000 years ago
5 Multiple choice questions
- surrounding Lake Maracaibo in Venezuela
- The Spaniards destroyed it and built Mexico City on the ruins.
- about 36 million people as of 2000
- wide fertile grasslands in southern South America
5 True/False questions
What is the major religion in Mexico? → Roman Catholic
What are the problems associated with air pollution? → The Greater Antilles include the large islands of Cuba, Hispaniola, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico. They also include the some 700 islands that make up the Bahamas. The Lesser Antilles include more than 20 small island countries and territories. The Greater and Lesser Antilles are the major island groups of the West Indies.
Describe the natural resources of the region. → Many island leaders see tourism as the great hope for the future economic growth. Tourism takes land that could be used for farming and the jobs are mostly seasonal and have low pay, though. Tourism does bring needed jobs and reduces unemployment.
What did the Portugese establish as the key crop in what is now Brazil? → sugar cane
bauxite → an ocean and weather pattern that causes the eastern Pacific Ocean to be colder than normal