5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What mineral resources are found in this region?
- What are some of the cultural and historical features of Mexico City?
- What is unusual about Mexico's rivers?
- What is the world's largest tropical humid climate region?
- What is Mexico's most valuable natural resource?
- a the Amazon River Basin
- b Modern skyscrapers tower over Aztec ruins and Spanish colonial buildings. Mexico City's square is where the center of Tenochtitlan one stood. They have old cathedrals and a palace. Chapultepec Park was once used by Aztec emperors.
- c petroleum
- d Small gold fields have been discovered throughout Central America. Jamaica has major deposits of bauxite. Cuba and the Dominican Republic produce nickel. Trinidad has oil.
- e There aren't many and there is no major river system.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The Greater Antilles include the large islands of Cuba, Hispaniola, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico. They also include the some 700 islands that make up the Bahamas. The Lesser Antilles include more than 20 small island countries and territories. The Greater and Lesser Antilles are the major island groups of the West Indies.
- an ocean and weather pattern that causes the eastern Pacific Ocean to be colder than normal
- *Tierra helada- above 16,000 feet (permanently covered with snow)
*Paramo- 10,000 to 16,000 feet (potatoes, grasslands and hardy shrubs, grazing)
*Tierra fria- 6,000 to 10,000 feet (potatoes, wheat, oats, barley, beans, corn, rye)
*tierra templada- 3,000 to 6,000 feet (coffee, corn, wheat, cotton, potatoes, sugar cane, tobacco)
*tierra cliente- sea level to 3,000 feet (bananas, cacao, rice, sugar cane)
- sugar cane
- a type of tree from which we get cocoa beans
5 True/False questions
What crops does Central America depend on? → emeralds
When did people first enter South America? → more than 5,000 years ago
favelas → large slums that surround major cities (in Brazil)
What are the major challenges facing Mexico? → Mexico City has too few jobs so many people live in shacks without electricity and running water. Mexico City also suffers from terrible air pollution. Parts of southern Mexico have inadequate schools and poorly developed telephone communication and transportation.
Name 3 factors that explain Mexico's climate. → There aren't many and there is no major river system.