5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Where are the largest reserves of oil in South America?
- Describe the four major issues facing South America today.
- Describe the climate in Central America and the Caribbean.
- What is NAFTA?
- When did people first enter South America?
- a North American Free Trade Agreement that lowered tariffs between Canada, Mexico, and the US.
- b more than 12,000 years ago
- c 1. loss of the Amazon rainforest because of new farms and ranches
2. soil exhaustion threatens south America's future. Overgrazing and loss of soil nutrients is causing this problem.
3. Political issues also cause conflict. Many South American countries have been involved in border disputes often over areas with valuable resources.
4. Violence is a problem. Terrorism is present in many South American countries, particularly Colombia.
- d surrounding Lake Maracaibo in Venezuela
- e Tropical wet and dry climates are typical. Temperatures seldom vary more than 10 degrees Fahrenheit between summer and winter. During winter, high pressure generally brings dry weather. A summer rainy season results when low pressure cells begin to move north across the region.
5 Multiple choice questions
- rich mineral desposits, fertile soils, climates suitable for farming, rivers, rain forests, gold and silver, copper, iron ore, bauxite, and petroleum
- a type of tourism that focuses on guided travel though natural areas and on outdoor activities
- Modern skyscrapers tower over Aztec ruins and Spanish colonial buildings. Mexico City's square is where the center of Tenochtitlan one stood. They have old cathedrals and a palace. Chapultepec Park was once used by Aztec emperors.
5 True/False questions
On what legend did the Aztecs found the town Tenochtitlan? → a semiarid and arid climate
What is the world's largest tropical humid climate region? → the Amazon River Basin
Describe in detail the environmental problems facing Mexico City. → The motor vehicles and factories release chemicals into the air which result in smog that can burn eyes and throats. People have pumped the wells so heavily that the ground has begun to sink and take the buildings with it.
What is the major religion in Mexico? → 1. Greater Mexico City
2. Central Mexico
3. Gulf Lowlands and Southern Mexico
4. Northern Mexico
isthmus → wide fertile grasslands in southern South America