5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman
- Louise Erdrich
- Sherman Alexie
- Edgar Allen Poe
- John Winthrop
- a "A Model of Christian Charity" (City on a Hill).
- b "This Is What It Means To Say Pheonix, Arizona". *Symbols/motifs: -fathers and sons -fire, ashes, rebirth -last image= salmon swimming upstream
- c "Dear John Wayne".
- d "The Yellow Wallpaper".
- e "The Fall of the House of Usher". House= 1) buildings 2) minds 3) family doppelganger (incest [both spiritual and actual], house and its flaw, twin)
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- "Bartelby the Scrivener". Themes: -charity -work ethics -middle class boredom Motifs: -grayness -food Symbols: -dead letters -Alexandro Aranda's skeleton Quote: "I prefer not to."
- "The Sheriff's Children". *Themes: -racism -identity -moral and responsibility
- . -Juan Gines de Sepulveda= against Indians -Bartolome de Las Casas= pro Indian
- The Scarlet Letter. Motifs: -civilization vs. the wilderness -night vs. day Symbols: -scarlet letter -the meteor -Pearl -rosebush next to the prison door
5 True/False Questions
Johnathan Edwards → "A Model of Christian Charity" (City on a Hill).
Anne Bradstreet → "Dear John Wayne".
Washington Irving → "Letter from Jerusalem: Forcing the End".
Columbus → "Song of the Sky Loom". -family/creation -seasonal renewal -weaving conceit (warp/weft)
Edward Taylor → "Huswifery". -extended metaphor of process of saving your own soul