5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- John Burgoyne
- DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE
- Friedrich von Steuben
- BATTLE OF LEXINGTON & CONCORD- 1775
- BATTLE of YORKTOWN
- a BRITISH GENERAL who planned to crush WASHINGTON'S ARMY in NEW ENGLAND- instead WAS DEFEATED at SARATOGA
- b Thomas Jefferson (at 33 years old) primary writer. He wrote every evening for 17 days. Introduction states why the Declaration was needed. Main ideas about government= We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
- c U.S. DEFEATED BRITISH GENERAL CORNWALLIS at YORKTOWN. British SURRENDERED to END WAR.
- d PRUSSIAN SOLDIER who came to U.S. & trained troops
- e General Gage tried to capture a store of Patriot arms. Patriots knew "The Redcoats are coming!!". 8 colonists & 1 British soldier killed at Lexington. Patriots forced the British to retreat at Concord.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Wrote "COMMON SENSE". Patriot who changed public opinion with his pamphlet "Common Sense"- portrayed king George lll as a bully & claimed America's right to self rule.
- longest section was the colonists grievences, justification for revolution. Stated how colonists had tried to resolve differences peacefully. Said King was unfit to govern. CONCLUSION= 13 COLONIES DECLARE INDEPENDENCE- approved unanimously July 4, 1776. INDEPENDENCE DAY = July 4th every year since.
- to JOIN, or enlist someone, in an ASSOCIATION with OTHER STATES, ORGANIZATIONS, or PEOPLE FOR A COMMON PURPOSE.
- British RECOGNIZED U.S. as INDEPENDENT NATION. Set U.S. borders from Atlantis to Mississippi River-southern border ended at Florida which was returned to Spain. Ended 8 years of warfare.
- U.S. SURPRISE ATTACK on TRENTON- started with a Christmas night crossing of the DELAWARE RIVER (famous painting of this) surprised Hessians guarding Trenton & took most prisoner. WASHINGTON fooled Brits by fake campfires while U.S. troops snuck out to attack Princeton. VICTORY gave U.S. hope.
5 True/False Questions
American Enlistment Issue → most American soldiers enlisted for only one year. They would leave when they weren't paid or when they had to plant crops or harvest crops at home.
Marquis da Lafayette → 1) British soldiers experienced, professional soldiers 2) best trained, most experienced officers & newest weapons. 3)British hired MERCENARIES from other countries. 4) HESSIANS=mercenaries from the Hesse region of Germany. 5) Resupply issue 3,000 miles from Britain, supplies & communication took months 6)Advantage in numbers= 50,000 Brits to 10,000 colonists
OLIVE BRANCH PETITION → A UNION OF STATES in which each member state retains some independent control over internal & external affairs. Thus, for international purposes, there are separate states, not just one state. A federation, in contrast, is a union of states in which external affairs are controlled by a unified, central government.
Paul Revere (1735-1818) → lowest point for U.S.- WASHINGTON'S troops suffered through harsh winter with few supplies
British Advantage → name for colonial soldiers in NEW CONTINENTAL ARMY