5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- 2nd CONTINENTAL CONGRESS-1775
- Thaddeus Kosciusko
- BATTLE of TRENTON
- The CONTINENTAL ARMY
- a American Colonists army- the Patriots/home team- led by General GEORGE WASHINGTON.
- b PHILADELPHIA MAY 1775- Attendees= John Hancock, Samuel Adams, John Adams, George Washington, Patrick Henry & others. Issued OLIVE BRANCH PETITION. Authorized & approved the DECLARATION of INDEPENDENCE.
- c U.S. SURPRISE ATTACK on TRENTON- started with a Christmas night crossing of the DELAWARE RIVER (famous painting of this) surprised Hessians guarding Trenton & took most prisoner. WASHINGTON fooled Brits by fake campfires while U.S. troops snuck out to attack Princeton. VICTORY gave U.S. hope.
- d POLISH ENGINEER who HELPED U.S. BUILD FORTS & OTHER DEFENSES.
- e SOLDIERS who FIGHT for MONEY & NOT OUT of loyalty to any country.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A UNION OF STATES in which each member state retains some independent control over internal & external affairs. Thus, for international purposes, there are separate states, not just one state. A federation, in contrast, is a union of states in which external affairs are controlled by a unified, central government.
- most American soldiers enlisted for only one year. They would leave when they weren't paid or when they had to plant crops or harvest crops at home.
- U.S. officer caught by British spying- CONDEMNED to DEATH- he said, " I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."
- General Gage tried to capture a store of Patriot arms. Patriots knew "The Redcoats are coming!!". 8 colonists & 1 British soldier killed at Lexington. Patriots forced the British to retreat at Concord.
- Wrote "COMMON SENSE". Patriot who changed public opinion with his pamphlet "Common Sense"- portrayed king George lll as a bully & claimed America's right to self rule.
5 True/False Questions
John Hancock (1737-1793) → 1737-1793. Patriot leader along with Samuel Adams of the SONS of LIBERTY. President of the second Continental Congress; first person to sign the Declaration of Independence.
LOYALISTS/ TORIES → British RECOGNIZED U.S. as INDEPENDENT NATION. Set U.S. borders from Atlantis to Mississippi River-southern border ended at Florida which was returned to Spain. Ended 8 years of warfare.
Friedrich von Steuben → PRUSSIAN SOLDIER who came to U.S. & trained troops
BATTLE of LONG ISLAND → British General HOWE led 34,000 troops & 10,000 sailors VS. WASHINGTON'S 20,000 poorly trained troops & no navy. Colonists lost & retreated to Manhattan.
John Burgoyne → COLONIAL FIGHTERS that could be READY IN A MINUTE to defend Massachusetts.