5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Marine Engineers
- HMS Challenger
- a This type of oceanographer studies teh aspects of the ocean such as tides, currents and ocean circulation
- b The vast body of saline water that occupies the depressions of the earth's surface is called the _______________
- c Charles Thomson and John Murray led first scientific oceanographic voyage. 4 yrs. thought they was no life below 1,800ft. able to sample down to 26,850ft. found 4,717 new species. took 15 yrs. to produce the "Challenger Report" 50 volume report.
- d study how to build ocean going to vessels, harbors, oil platforms, etc.
- e This type of navigation relies on using the stars to determine ones relative position on earth
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Earliest form of navigational or oceanographic map made of bamboo and shells
- This is used to map the deep ocean floor.
- Invented the chronometer
- explored the Mediterranean and Atlantic-noticed a current running in and out. named it "okeanos" ocean was derived from this.
- First to calculate the circumference of the Earth
5 True/False Questions
Star → Massive spheres of gases giving off light by fusing hydrogen atoms into helium are known as _____________
Galaxy → huge group of stars, dust, gas, and other celestial bodies bound together by gravitational force
Cretans and Phoenicians → First regular ocean traders
Vikings → In early history, the people who voyaged in order to show off their dynasty and riches were the ______________
Columbus → European who New Zealand