5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Cell Signaling (Proteomes)
- Unit of Life
- Vertical Descent with Mutation
- a Cells are the units of life
- b 1. Progression of changes in a lineage
2. New species evolve from preexisting species by the accumulation of mutations
3. Natural selection takes advantage of beneficial mutations
- c (microbiology) single-celled or noncellular spherical or spiral or rod-shaped organisms lacking chlorophyll that reproduce by fission
- d Proteins are needed for cell signaling with other cells and with the environment. The molecular mechanisms by which cells detect and respond to external stimuli and send messages to other cells
- e Science is the observation, identification, experimental investigation and theoretical explanation of natural phenomena.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Experimentation that does not require a preconceived hypothesis. In some cases, the goal is to collect data to be able to formulate a hypothesis.
- 1. Genetic exchange between different species
2. Relatively rare
3. Ex: Genes that confer antibiotic resistance are sometimes transferred between different bacteria species
- Proteins hold cells together in tissues.
- the group that does not receive the experimental treatment.
- Connected by an Evolutionary History
5 True/False Questions
Taxonomy → identification, naming, and classification of species based on common vertical descent ancestry.
Cell Organization (Proteomes) → Proteins are needed for cell signaling with other cells and with the environment. The molecular mechanisms by which cells detect and respond to external stimuli and send messages to other cells
Proteomes → Is the entire protein complement of a cell or organism. Proteins are largely responsible for the structure and function of cells and complete organisms. All of the proteins that a cell or organism can make.
Hypothesis Example → If exercise is related to weight loss then increasing the amount of daily exercise in someone's routine will cause them to lose weight.
Genome → entire set of genetic information that an organism carries in its DNA