5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Cytoskeleton (Proteomes)
- All life-forms are composed of ____.
- Experimental Variable
- a independent variable, the component or factor being tested
- b Matter
- c Proteins are involved in cell shape and movement
- d Science is the observation, identification, experimental investigation and theoretical explanation of natural phenomena.
- e identification, naming, and classification of species based on common vertical descent ancestry.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- a sample that receives no treatment during an experiment, and demonstrates what happens if no experimental variables are applied.
- entire set of genetic information that an organism carries in its DNA
- single-celled organisms that do not have a membrane-bound nucleus
- the experimental factor that is manipulated; the variable whose effect is being studied
- One of two prokaryotic domains of life, the other being Bacteria. Unicellular Prokaryote.
5 True/False Questions
Taxonomic Group → DoKi P ClOFaGeS
- Domain (largest)
- Species (smallest) It describes genetically similar individuals that are capable of mating to produce fertile offspring.
Unit of Organization → 1. Atoms
2. Molecules and Macromolecules
Seven Characteristics of Life → 1. Stores information in a stable form: The genome of every organism stores information that provides a blueprint to create its characteristics.
2. Provides continuity from generation to generation: The genome is copied and transmitted from generation to generation.
3. Acts as an instrument of evolutionary change: Every now and then, the genome undergoes a mutation that may alter the characteristics of an organism. In addition, a genome may acquire new genes by horizontal gene transfer. The accumulation of such changes from generation to generation produces the evolutionary changes that alter species and produce new species.
Horizontal Gene Transfer → 1. Genetic exchange between different species
2. Relatively rare
3. Ex: Genes that confer antibiotic resistance are sometimes transferred between different bacteria species
Enzymes (Proteomes) → Is the entire protein complement of a cell or organism. Proteins are largely responsible for the structure and function of cells and complete organisms. All of the proteins that a cell or organism can make.