5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Compare the characteristics of an acid, a base & a salt.
- Explain why some atoms are chemically inert.
- How does an enzymes affect a chemical reactions?
- List 3 main types of lipids found in cells.
- Describe 4 types of chemical reactions.
- a Acid: substance that releases hydrogen ion
Base: substance that release ions that can combine with hydrogen ions
Salt: substance formed by the reaction between and acid and a base.
- b fats, phospholipids, and steroids.
- c They bring the reactants close together, chemical bonds may be weakened and reactions will proceed faster and without catalyst. They speed specific chemical reactions without being consumed.
- d Atoms whose outermost electron shells are filled already have stable structures and are chemically inactive.
- e Synthesis: when 2 or more atoms, ions, or molecules bond to form a more complex structure A+B->AB
Decomposition: bonds of a reactant molecule break to form simpler molecules, atoms, or ions AB->A+B
Exchange: parts of 2 different types of molecular trade positions as bonds are broken and new are formed AB + CD-> AD+ BC
Reversible: product or products can change back to reactant or reactants A+B<-> AB
5 Multiple choice questions
- Primary, Secondary, Tertiary, Quaternary
- All matter is composed of fundamental substances.
- they are chemicals that resist pH change. They combine with hydrogen ions when these ions are in excess or they donate hydrogen ions when these ions are depleted.
- The number of protons equals the number of electrons.
- tracks the number of decimal places in a hydrogen ion concentration without writing them out.
5 True/False questions
Distinguish between an ion and a polar molecule. → Molecule: two or more atoms may combine to form a distinctive type of particle.
Compound: substance composed of two or more chemically bonded elements.
Why is a knowledge of chemistry essential to understanding physiology? → Molecular: consists of the symbols of the elements in the molecule with numerical subscripts that indicate how many atoms of each element are present.
Structural: representation of the way atoms bond in a molecule.
Explain the difference between saturated & unsaturated fats. → Electrolyte: substance that ionizes in a water solution
Nonelectrolyte: organic compounds that dissolve in water, usually do not release ions.
What is biochemistry? → Atoms that gain or lose electrons because electrically charge.
Compare the chemical composition of carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acid. → Carbohydrates: C, H, O
Lipids: C, H, O (often P)
Protein: C, H, O, N, ( often S)
Nucleic acids: C, H, O , N , P