5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What is a molecular formula? A structural formula?
- Distinguish between an ion and a polar molecule.
- Compare the characteristics of an acid, a base & a salt.
- Explain the difference between saturated & unsaturated fats.
- What is likely to happen to a protein molecule exposed to intense heat or radiation?
- a All proteins have a special shape and their shape determines what function they will perform. Proteins can become denatured or their shape can change and it'll cause the loss of function. Proteins exposed to heat will most likely become denatured and lose the ability to perform their task.
- b Ions: atom or molecule with an electrical charge.
Polar: molecule in which the electrons and protons are not distributed symmetrically.
- c Molecular: consists of the symbols of the elements in the molecule with numerical subscripts that indicate how many atoms of each element are present.
Structural: representation of the way atoms bond in a molecule.
- d Saturated: single carbon-carbon bond link all the carbon atoms; each carbon atom binds as many hydrogen atoms as possible & is thus saturated with hydrogen atoms.
Unsaturated: have one or more double bond between carbon atoms. Fatty acids with one double bond.
- e Acid: substance that releases hydrogen ion
Base: substance that release ions that can combine with hydrogen ions
Salt: substance formed by the reaction between and acid and a base.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Because body functions result from cellular functions that in turn, result form chemical change
- Electrolyte: substance that ionizes in a water solution
Nonelectrolyte: organic compounds that dissolve in water, usually do not release ions.
- Hydrogen bonding is important to Tertiary & Secondary protein structures.
- Atoms that have the same atomic number but different atomic weight.
- The solution at pH 6.4 has 100 times the hydrogen ion concentration of a solution at pH 8.42.
5 True/False questions
What is atomic radiation? → Energy or atomic fragments they emit.
What is the relationship between matter and elements? → All matter is composed of fundamental substances.
Identify the 4 levels of protein structure. → Synthesis: when 2 or more atoms, ions, or molecules bond to form a more complex structure A+B->AB
Decomposition: bonds of a reactant molecule break to form simpler molecules, atoms, or ions AB->A+B
Exchange: parts of 2 different types of molecular trade positions as bonds are broken and new are formed AB + CD-> AD+ BC
Reversible: product or products can change back to reactant or reactants A+B<-> AB
What does the pH scale measure? → tracks the number of decimal places in a hydrogen ion concentration without writing them out.
What is an Ion? → Atoms that gain or lose electrons because electrically charge.