5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- chasten chastise
- a discipline; punish; chastise in order to correct
Whom God loves, God chastens.
- b pertaining to the brain or intellect(a. 1. thuộc não, thuộc suy nghĩ 2. intellectual
The content of philosophical works is cerebral in nature and requires much thought.)
- c pure (trong trắng tinh khôi)
Her chaste and decorous garb (clothes) was appropriately selected for the solemnity (seriousness) of the occasion.
- d report; record (in chronological order)
The gossip columnist was paid to chronicle the latest escapades of the socially prominent celebrities.
- e divine gift; great popular charm or appeal (uy tín)
Political commentators have deplored the importance of a candidate's charisma in these days of television campaigning.
5 Multiple choice questions
- long established, as a disease
The doctors were finally able to attribute his chronic headaches and nausea(chứng ói mửa, vomit) to traces of formaldehyde gas in his apartment. (kinh niên)
- marked by changes in fortune
During his checkered career he had lived in palatial mansions and in dreary boardinghouses. (vừa thành công vừa thất bại)
- radiating; departing from the center
Many automatic drying machines remove excess moisture from clothing by centrifugal force.(ly tâm)
- having minute hairs(có mao)
The paramecium is a ciliated, one-celled animal.
- mythical figure, half man and half horse
I was particularly impressed by the statue of the centaur in the Roman Hall of the museum.
5 True/False questions
ceremonious → critical; captious; carping
censorious people delight in casting blame.
chase → warm by rubbing
The collar chafed his neck.
cession → yielding to another; ceding(sự nhượng lại)
The cession of Alaska to the United States is discussed in this chapter.
chassis → vexation; disappointment
Her refusal to go with us filled us with chagrin.
catholic → universal; wide-ranging liberal, global, world-wide (rộng khắp)
He was extremely catholic in his taste and read everything he could find in the library.