5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a disaster; misery
As news of the calamity spread, offers of relief poured in to the stricken community.
- b small group of persons secretly united to promote their own interests
The cabal was defeated when its scheme was discovered.
- c any ulcerous sore; any evil (bệnh viêm loét, mục nát)
Poverty is a canker in the body politic; it must be cured.
- d meat-eating
The lion is a carnivorous animal.
- e drunken revel (cuộc chè chén)
The party degenerated into an ugly carousal.
5 Multiple choice questions
- book for religious instruction; instruction by question and answer
He taught by engaging his pupils in a catechism until they gave him the correct answer.
- distortion; burlesque
buc biem hoa
She was an unpredictable creature, acting on caprice, never taking thought of the consequences.
- shell or jewel carved in relief do trang suc da cham
- ill-humored; irritable- irascible
Constantly complaining about his treatment and refusing to cooperate with the hospital staff, he was a
5 True/False questions
catapult → slingshot; hurling machine
Airplanes are sometimes launched from battleships by catapults.
cant → pious phraseology; jargon of criminals
(Angry that the president had slashed the education budget, we dismissed his speech on the importance of education as mere cant. lời đạo đức giả)
catastrophe → calamity
The Johnstown flood was a catastrophe.
cadaverous → like a corpse; pale
From his cadaverous appearance, we could see how the disease had ravaged him.
cadaver → corpse