5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- a deluge; upheaval. bien dong lon
- b fault-finding; captious; critical
(Welcoming constructive criticism, Lexy appreciated her editor's comments, finding them free of carping.)
- c beautiful writing; excellent penmanship
As we examine ancient manuscripts, we became impressed with the calligraphy of the scribes.
- d rotting flesh of a dead body
Buzzards are nature's scavengers; they eat the carrion left behind by other predators.
- e title; chapter heading; text under illustration
I find the captions that accompany these cartoons very clever and humorous.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- n. small waterfall
- story set to music, to be sung by a chorus
The choral society sang the new cantata composed by its leader.
- rhythmic rise and fall (of words or sounds); beat
Marching down the road, the troops sang out, following the cadence set by the sergeant.
- small group of persons secretly united to promote their own interests
The cabal was defeated when its scheme was discovered.
- coax; wheedle (dỗ ngọt để ai đó làm lợi cho bản thân)
I will not be cajoled into granting your wish.
5 True/False Questions
calamity → disaster; misery
As news of the calamity spread, offers of relief poured in to the stricken community.
canine → related to dogs; doglike
Some days the canine population of Berkeley seems almost to outnumber the human population.
carnivorous → like a corpse; pale
From his cadaverous appearance, we could see how the disease had ravaged him.
canny → a 1.shrewd, smart;2. thrifty
carousal → fleshly
thuoc xac thit, thuoc nhuc duc