5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- a abstaining from sexual intercourse; unmarried
Though the late Havelock Ellis wrote extensively about sexual customs and was considered an expert in such matters, recent studies maintain he was celibate throughout his life.(abstain: kiêng khem)
- b (vỏ trấu)
When you separate the wheat from the chaff, be sure you throw out the chaff.
- c pure (trong trắng tinh khôi)
Her chaste and decorous garb (clothes) was appropriately selected for the solemnity (seriousness) of the occasion.
- d art of dancing
Martha Graham introduced a form of choreography that seemed awkward and alien to those who had
been brought up on classic ballet.
- e to make watertight (by plugging seams) (hàn,bít chỗ hở) (When water from the shower leaked into the basement, we knew it was time to caulk the tiles at the edges of the shower stall.)
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- mythical figure, half man and half horse
I was particularly impressed by the statue of the centaur in the Roman Hall of the museum.
- private meeting of members of a party to select officers or determine policy (cuộc họp kín)
(At the opening of Congress the members of the Democratic Party held a caucus to elect the majority leader of the House and the party whip.)
- procession; parade (đoàn diễu hành)
As described by Chaucer, the cavalcade of Canterbury pilgrims was motley group.
- in utter disorder
He tried to bring order into the chaotic state of affairs.
- marked by formality (chuộng nghi thức, kiểu cách)
Ordinary dress would be in appropriate at so ceremonious an affair.
5 True/False Questions
chaffing → bantering; joking
Sometimes his flippant and chaffing remarks annoy us.
chasm → abyss, hole, cavity, hollow, aperture
They could not see the bottom of the chasm.
cauterize → burning; sarcastically biting(1. ăn da 2. châm biếm (mockery = sarcasm n.)
The critic's caustic remarks angered the hapless actors who were the subjects of his sarcasm.
charisma → divine gift; great popular charm or appeal (uy tín)
Political commentators have deplored the importance of a candidate's charisma in these days of television campaigning.
centrifugal → radiating; departing from the center
Many automatic drying machines remove excess moisture from clothing by centrifugal force.(ly tâm)