5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- amino acid
- a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution.
- b negatively charged particle that occupies space around an atom's nucleus.
- c substance that exists before a chemical reaction starts; located on the left side of the arrow in a chemical reaction.
- d carbon compound joined by peptide bonds; building block of proteins.
- e protein that speeds up a biological reaction by lowering the activation energy needed to start the reaction
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- center of an atom; contains neutrons and protons. In eukaryotic cells, the central membrane-bound organelle that manages cellular functions and contains DNA
- electrical attraction between two oppositely charged atoms or groups of atoms.
- energy-requiring process by which atoms or groups of atoms in substances are changed into different substances
- substance that releases hydroxide ions (OH-) when dissolved in water; a basic solution has a pH greater than 7.
- type of chemical bond formed when atoms share electrons.
5 True/False Questions
active site → specific place where a substrate binds on an enzyme.
element → pure substance composed of only one type of atom; cannot be broken down into another substance by physical or chemical means
isotope → substance dissolved in a solvent.
carbohydrate → organic compound containing carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen in a ratio of on oxygen and two hydrogen atoms for each carbon atom.
solvent → substance in which another substance is dissolved.