5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- amino acid
- ionic bond
- a substance that exists before a chemical reaction starts; located on the left side of the arrow in a chemical reaction.
- b carbon compound joined by peptide bonds; building block of proteins.
- c electrical attraction between two oppositely charged atoms or groups of atoms.
- d compound whose atoms are held together by covalent bonds
- e pure substance composed of only one type of atom; cannot be broken down into another substance by physical or chemical means
5 Multiple choice questions
- organic compound containing carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen in a ratio of on oxygen and two hydrogen atoms for each carbon atom.
- protein that speeds up a biological reaction by lowering the activation energy needed to start the reaction
- building block of matter; contains subatomic particles—neutrons, protons, and electrons
- substance formed by a chemical reaction; located on the right side of the arrow in a chemical equation.
- mixture that can react with an acid or a base to maintain the pH within a specific range.
5 True/False questions
nucleic acid → complex macromolecule that stores and communicates genetic information.
compound → pure substance with unique properties; formed when two or more different elements combine.
neutron → particle without a charge in an atom's nucleus
lipid → hydrophobic biological molecule composed mostly or carbon and hydrogen; fats, oils, and waxes are lipids
nucleus → center of an atom; contains neutrons and protons. In eukaryotic cells, the central membrane-bound organelle that manages cellular functions and contains DNA