5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a two or more atoms of the same element having different numbers of neutrons.
- b protein that speeds up a biological reaction by lowering the activation energy needed to start the reaction
- c pure substance composed of only one type of atom; cannot be broken down into another substance by physical or chemical means
- d large molecule formed by joining smaller organic molecules together
- e substance that releases hydrogen ions (H+) when dissolved in water; an acidic solution has a pH less than 7.
5 Multiple choice questions
- substance in which another substance is dissolved.
- homogeneous mixture formed when a substance (the solute) is dissolved in another substance (the solvent).
- measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution.
- combination of two or more different substances in which each substance keeps its individual characteristics; can have a uniform composition (homogeneous) or have distinct areas of substances (heterogeneous).
- organic compound made of amino acids joined by peptide bonds; primary building block of organisms.
5 True/False questions
catalyst → substance that speeds up a chemical reaction by reducing the activation energy.
nucleotide → a subunit of nucleic acid formed from a single sugar, a phosphate group, and a nitrogenous base.
base → substance that releases hydroxide ions (OH-) when dissolved in water; a basic solution has a pH greater than 7.
compound → pure substance with unique properties; formed when two or more different elements combine.
carbohydrate → organic compound containing carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen in a ratio of on oxygen and two hydrogen atoms for each carbon atom.