5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Difference between compound and molecule?
- What's a positive ion called? A negative ion?
- What is a molecule?
- What are valence electrons?
- Difference between an element and a compound?
- a Compound is a mixture of at least two different elements, while a molecule is a 2 or more atoms of a single element.
- b Positive ion = CATION
Negative ion = ANION
- c The electrons on the outermost orbital shell
- d 2 or more atoms held together by covalent bonds
- e A compound has characteristics different from those of its elements. Table salt, for example, is sodium chloride (NaCl), a compound composed of the elements sodium (Na) and chlorine (Cl) in a 1:1 ratio. Pure sodium is a metal, and pure chlorine is a poisonous gas. When chemically combined, however, sodium and chlorine form an edible compound.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Atoms that lose or gain electrons to complete their outer shell
- One atom's attraction of the electrons within one covalently bonded molecule
O > N > C > H
Oxygen - most electronegative element
- Two or more atoms SHARING ELECTRONS.
Single covalent bonds - sharing of one pair of valence electrons
Double - sharing of two pairs of valence electrons
- Covalent bonds (STRONGEST) and Ionic bonds.
- Different forms of the same element; they differ in number of neutrons, but they have the same # of protons and behave identically in chemical reactions
5 True/False Questions
What is a chemical reaction? Be able to identify the products and reactants in a chemical reaction. → The making and breaking of chemical bonds.
1. Reactants - structure of chemicals prior to a chemical reaction
3. Products - structure of chemicals as a result of a chemical reaction
Choose 2 elements essential to life, draw the electron configuration of each as an ion and note the charge of the ion. → Ex: O - only 6 rings on outer shell, so it wants to gain 2, making it 2- charge
What is an element? → A substance that cannot be broken down to other substances by chemical reactions.
Define Subatomic particles, their charges, where they're found, and their relative mass. → Potential energy - stored energy due to location or structure; ready to use energy
Kinetic energy - energy in motion or movement; currently using
What is a chemical bond? → a substance consisting of two or more different elements combined in a fixed ratio.