5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Difference between covalent and ionic bonds?
- What is the atomic mass?
- Define the potential energy level of electrons and the Kinetic energy level.
- What is a chemical bond?
- Difference between an element and a compound?
- a The number of protons and neutrons in nucleus.
- b Covalent bonds are the SHARING of electrons, whether it be equally or unequally
Ionic bonds are the GAINING or LOSING of electrons, NOT SHARING
- c A compound has characteristics different from those of its elements. Table salt, for example, is sodium chloride (NaCl), a compound composed of the elements sodium (Na) and chlorine (Cl) in a 1:1 ratio. Pure sodium is a metal, and pure chlorine is a poisonous gas. When chemically combined, however, sodium and chlorine form an edible compound.
- d Potential energy - stored energy due to location or structure; ready to use energy
Kinetic energy - energy in motion or movement; currently using
- e Atoms interacting with each other to share, take, or give electrons.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Protons - positive; in nucleus; 1 dalton (or amu)
Neutrons - neutral; in nucleus; 1 dalton (or amu)
Electrons - negative; found outside nucleus; 0 nothing
- Ex: O - only 6 rings on outer shell, so it wants to gain 2, making it 2- charge
- The sharing of electrons EQUALLY; atoms have similar electronegativities
- Covalent bonds (STRONGEST) and Ionic bonds.
- CHNOPS: Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Phosphorus, Sulfur
5 True/False Questions
What bond do two oxygen's share? → Non-polar covalent bond; they have equal electronegativity so they share their e⁻
What is an element? → A substance that cannot be broken down to other substances by chemical reactions.
What are ionic bonds? → Electron gaining or losing; e⁻ TRANSFER (NOT SHARING) between two atoms
What is a hydrogen bond? Strong or weak? → Partial plus of a Hydrogen in a polar molecule forms a bond with a Partial Minus of another polar molecule; Weak bond.
Difference between compound and molecule? → Compound is a mixture of at least two different elements, while a molecule is a 2 or more atoms of a single element.