5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Atomic Mass
- Evaporative Cooling
- a A chemical substance that resists changes in pH by accepting hydrogen ions from or donating hydrogen ions to solutions.
substance that minimize changes in pH.
- b The total mass of an atom; also called atomic weight. Given as a whole number, the atomic mass approximately equals the mass number.
- c a substance consisting of two or more different elements combined in a fixed ratio.
- d Anything that occupies space and has mass.
- e occurs because the molecules with the greates energy leave.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A covalent bond between atoms that differ in electronegativity. The shared electrons are pulled closer to the more electornegative atom, making it slightly negative and the other atom slightly positive.
- A subsctance that cannot be broken down to other substance by ordinary chemcial means.
- A measure of how difficult it is to stretch or break the surface of a liquid. Water has a high surface tension because of the hydrogen bonding of surface molecules.
- A substance that decreases the hydrogen ion concentration in a solution. 14 is a strong base on the pH scale.
- A compound resulting from the formation of ionic bonds; also called an ionic compound.
5 True/False Questions
Solvent → The dissolving agent of a solution. Water is the most versatile solvent known.
Chemical Reaction → An attraction between two atoms resulting from a sharing of outer-shell electrons or the presence of opposite charges on the atoms. The bonded atoms gain complete outer electron shells.
pH Scale → A scale we used to describe how acidic or basic a solution is. The scale ranges from 0-14, 0 being the most acidic and 14 being the most basic. 7 is neutral (pure water)
Acid Precipitation → Decreasing pH of ocean waters due to absoprtion of excess atmospheric CO2 from the burning of fossil fuels.
Ion → The smallest unit of matter that retains the properties of an element.