5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- endoplasmic reticulum (ER)
- a A stack of hollow disks formed of thylakoid membrane in a chloroplast. Grana are the sites where light energy is trapped by chlorophyll and converted to chemical energy during the light reactions of photosynthesis.
- b A membrane-enclosed sac that is part of the endomembrane system of a eukaryotic cell, having diverse functions.
- c An extensive membranous network in a eukaryotic cell, continuous with the outer nuclear membrane and composed of ribosome-studded (rough) and ribosome-free (smooth) regions.
- d A threadlike, gene-carrying structure found in the nucleus of a eukaryotic cell and most visible during mitosis and meiosis; also, the main gene-carrying structure of a prokaryotic cell. Chromosomes consist of chromatin, a combination of DNA and protein.
- e The fluid of the chloroplast surrounding the thylakoid membrane; involved in the synthesis of organic molecules from carbon dioxide and water; Sugars are made in the stroma by the enzymes of the Calvin cycle.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A sac made of membrane in the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell.
- A process by which the mitochondria and chloroplasts of eukaryotic cells probably evolved from symbiotic associations between small prokaryotic cells living inside larger cells.
- A microscope that uses an electron beam to study the surface architecture of a cell or other specimen.
- A type of cell lacking a membrane-enclosed nucleus and other membrane-enclosed organelles; found only in the domains Bacteria and Archaea.
- The fluid contained within the inner membrane of a mitochondrion.
5 True/False Questions
Reverse Transcriptase → A membrane-enclosed sac occupying most of the interior of a mature plant cell, having diverse roles in reproduction, growth, and development.
rough ER → A cell structure consisting of RNA and protein organized into two subunits and functioning as the site of protein synthesis in the cytoplasm. The ribosomal subunits are constructed in the nucleolus.
cytoskeleton → Everything inside a cell between the plasma membrane and the nucleus; consists of a semifluid medium and organelles.
lysosome → A digestive organelle in eukaryotic cells; contains hydrolytic enzymes that digest the cell's food and wastes.
thylakoid → A dense region of DNA in a prokaryotic cell.