5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Golgi apparatus
- cell theory
- rough ER
- a A network of interconnected membranous sacs in a eukaryotic cell's cytoplasm. Rough ER membranes are studded with ribosomes that make membrane proteins and secretory proteins.
- b A cell structure consisting of RNA and protein organized into two subunits and functioning as the site of protein synthesis in the cytoplasm. The ribosomal subunits are constructed in the nucleolus.
- c The theory that all living things are composed of cells and that all cells come from other cells.
- d An organelle in eukaryotic cells consisting of stacks of membranous sacs that modify, store, and ship products of the endoplasmic reticulum.
- e A photograph taken through a microscope.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A network of protein fibers in the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell; includes microfilaments, intermediate filaments, and microtubules.
- A structure within the nucleus of a eukaryotic cell where ribosomal RNA is made and assembled with proteins imported from the cytoplasm to make ribosomal subunits.
- The thickest of the three main kinds of fibers making up the cytoskeleton of a eukaryotic cell; a straight, hollow tube made of globular proteins called tubulins. Microtubules form the basis of the structure and movement of cilia and flagella.
- An open channel in a plant cell wall through which strands of cytoplasm connect from adjacent cells.
- A process by which the mitochondria and chloroplasts of eukaryotic cells probably evolved from symbiotic associations between small prokaryotic cells living inside larger cells.
5 True/False questions
cytoplasm → Everything inside a cell between the plasma membrane and the nucleus; consists of a semifluid medium and organelles.
nucleus → (1) An atom's central core, containing protons and neutrons. (2) The genetic control center of a eukaryotic cell.
Vacuole → A sac made of membrane in the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell.
light microscope (LM) → An instrument that focuses an electron beam through, or onto the surface of, a specimen. An electron microscope achieves a hundredfold greater resolution than a light microscope.
intermediate filament → The thinnest of the three main kinds of protein fibers making up the cytoskeleton of a eukaryotic cell; a solid, helical rod composed of the globular protein actin.