5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- light microscope (LM)
- transmission electron microscope
- a A membrane-enclosed structure with a specialized function within a cell.
- b An optical instrument with lenses that refract (bend) visible light to magnify images and project them into a viewer's eye or onto photographic film.
- c An organelle found in plants and photosynthetic protists that absorbs sunlight and uses it to drive the synthesis of organic molecules (sugars) from carbon dioxide and water.
- d A microscope that uses an electron beam to study the internal structure of thinly sectioned specimens.
- e The thinnest of the three main kinds of protein fibers making up the cytoskeleton of a eukaryotic cell; a solid, helical rod composed of the globular protein actin.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A stack of hollow disks formed of thylakoid membrane in a chloroplast. Grana are the sites where light energy is trapped by chlorophyll and converted to chemical energy during the light reactions of photosynthesis.
- A membrane-enclosed sac that is part of the endomembrane system of a eukaryotic cell, having diverse functions.
- A substance in which the cells of an animal tissue are embedded; consists of protein and polysaccharides.
- A protective layer external to the plasma membrane in plant cells, bacteria, fungi, and some protists; protects the cell and helps maintain its shape.
- A membrane-enclosed sac occupying most of the interior of a mature plant cell, having diverse roles in reproduction, growth, and development.
5 True/False Questions
Reverse Transcriptase → Makes RNA into DNA
eukaryotic cell → A type of cell that has a membrane-enclosed nucleus and other membrane-enclosed organelles. All organisms except bacteria and archaea are composed of eukaryotic cells.
ribosome → A cell structure consisting of RNA and protein organized into two subunits and functioning as the site of protein synthesis in the cytoplasm. The ribosomal subunits are constructed in the nucleolus.
nucleus → A structure within the nucleus of a eukaryotic cell where ribosomal RNA is made and assembled with proteins imported from the cytoplasm to make ribosomal subunits.
cell theory → The theory that all living things are composed of cells and that all cells come from other cells.