5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- electron microscope (EM)
- scanning electron microscope (SEM)
- cellular metabolism
- a An instrument that focuses an electron beam through, or onto the surface of, a specimen. An electron microscope achieves a hundredfold greater resolution than a light microscope.
- b A dense region of DNA in a prokaryotic cell.
- c Everything inside a cell between the plasma membrane and the nucleus; consists of a semifluid medium and organelles.
- d The chemical activities of cells.
- e A microscope that uses an electron beam to study the surface architecture of a cell or other specimen.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A double membrane, perforated with pores, which encloses the nucleus and separates it from the rest of the eukaryotic cell.
- An organelle found in plants and photosynthetic protists that absorbs sunlight and uses it to drive the synthesis of organic molecules (sugars) from carbon dioxide and water.
- A structure in an animal cell composed of cylinders of microtubule triplets arranged in a 9 and 0 pattern. An animal usually has a centrosome with a pair of centrioles involved in cell division.
- The theory that all living things are composed of cells and that all cells come from other cells.
- A microscope that uses an electron beam to study the internal structure of thinly sectioned specimens.
5 True/False Questions
Golgi apparatus → A macromolecule consisting of one or more polypeptides linked to short chains of sugars.
mitochondrial matrix → The fluid contained within the inner membrane of a mitochondrion.
chromatin → The complex of DNA and proteins that constitutes eukaryotic chromosomes; often used to refer to the diffuse, very extended form taken by chromosomes when a cell is not dividing.
granum → An infolding of the inner membrane of a mitochondrion in which is embedded the electron transport chain and the enzyme catalyzing the synthesis of ATP.
organelle → A long cellular appendage specialized for locomotion. The flagella of prokaryotes and eukaryotes differ in both structure and function. Like cilia, eukaryotic flagella have a 9 + 2 arrangement of microtubules covered by the cell's plasma membrane.