5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- intermediate filament
- Reverse Transcriptase
- a A digestive organelle in eukaryotic cells; contains hydrolytic enzymes that digest the cell's food and wastes.
- b An intermediate-sized protein fiber that is one of the three main kinds of fibers making up the cytoskeleton of eukaryotic cells. Intermediate filaments are ropelike, made of fibrous proteins.
- c Makes RNA into DNA
- d The thinnest of the three main kinds of protein fibers making up the cytoskeleton of a eukaryotic cell; a solid, helical rod composed of the globular protein actin.
- e An open channel in a plant cell wall through which strands of cytoplasm connect from adjacent cells.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- An organelle in eukaryotic cells where cellular respiration occurs. Enclosed by two concentric membranes, it is where most of the cell's ATP is made.
- A long cellular appendage specialized for locomotion. The flagella of prokaryotes and eukaryotes differ in both structure and function. Like cilia, eukaryotic flagella have a 9 + 2 arrangement of microtubules covered by the cell's plasma membrane.
- The thickest of the three main kinds of fibers making up the cytoskeleton of a eukaryotic cell; a straight, hollow tube made of globular proteins called tubulins. Microtubules form the basis of the structure and movement of cilia and flagella.
- A membrane-enclosed sac occupying most of the interior of a mature plant cell, having diverse roles in reproduction, growth, and development.
- Everything inside a cell between the plasma membrane and the nucleus; consists of a semifluid medium and organelles.
5 True/False Questions
Vacuole → A membrane-enclosed sac that is part of the endomembrane system of a eukaryotic cell, having diverse functions.
cell theory → The theory that all living things are composed of cells and that all cells come from other cells.
cell wall → A protective layer external to the plasma membrane in plant cells, bacteria, fungi, and some protists; protects the cell and helps maintain its shape.
light microscope (LM) → An instrument that focuses an electron beam through, or onto the surface of, a specimen. An electron microscope achieves a hundredfold greater resolution than a light microscope.
centriole → A sac made of membrane in the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell.