5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- intermediate filament
- a An intermediate-sized protein fiber that is one of the three main kinds of fibers making up the cytoskeleton of eukaryotic cells. Intermediate filaments are ropelike, made of fibrous proteins.
- b A structure in an animal cell composed of cylinders of microtubule triplets arranged in a 9 and 0 pattern. An animal usually has a centrosome with a pair of centrioles involved in cell division.
- c An organelle containing enzymes that transfer hydrogen from various substrates to oxygen, producing and then degrading hydrogen peroxide.
- d An organelle found in plants and photosynthetic protists that absorbs sunlight and uses it to drive the synthesis of organic molecules (sugars) from carbon dioxide and water.
- e A structure within the nucleus of a eukaryotic cell where ribosomal RNA is made and assembled with proteins imported from the cytoplasm to make ribosomal subunits.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Everything inside a cell between the plasma membrane and the nucleus; consists of a semifluid medium and organelles.
- A tiny membranous sac in a cell's cytoplasm carrying molecules produced by the cell. The vesicle buds from the endoplasmic reticulum or Golgi and eventually fuses with another membranous organelle or the plasma membrane, releasing its contents.
- A microscope that uses an electron beam to study the internal structure of thinly sectioned specimens.
- A membrane-enclosed structure with a specialized function within a cell.
- A sac made of membrane in the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell.
5 True/False questions
cell theory → A protective layer external to the plasma membrane in plant cells, bacteria, fungi, and some protists; protects the cell and helps maintain its shape.
Reverse Transcriptase → A membrane-enclosed sac occupying most of the interior of a mature plant cell, having diverse roles in reproduction, growth, and development.
electron microscope (EM) → An optical instrument with lenses that refract (bend) visible light to magnify images and project them into a viewer's eye or onto photographic film.
cytoskeleton → Everything inside a cell between the plasma membrane and the nucleus; consists of a semifluid medium and organelles.
scanning electron microscope (SEM) → An instrument that focuses an electron beam through, or onto the surface of, a specimen. An electron microscope achieves a hundredfold greater resolution than a light microscope.