5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- electron microscope (EM)
- a An organelle found in plants and photosynthetic protists that absorbs sunlight and uses it to drive the synthesis of organic molecules (sugars) from carbon dioxide and water.
- b An instrument that focuses an electron beam through, or onto the surface of, a specimen. An electron microscope achieves a hundredfold greater resolution than a light microscope.
- c The complex of DNA and proteins that constitutes eukaryotic chromosomes; often used to refer to the diffuse, very extended form taken by chromosomes when a cell is not dividing.
- d A network of protein fibers in the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell; includes microfilaments, intermediate filaments, and microtubules.
- e An organelle in eukaryotic cells where cellular respiration occurs. Enclosed by two concentric membranes, it is where most of the cell's ATP is made.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A structure within the nucleus of a eukaryotic cell where ribosomal RNA is made and assembled with proteins imported from the cytoplasm to make ribosomal subunits.
- A protective layer external to the plasma membrane in plant cells, bacteria, fungi, and some protists; protects the cell and helps maintain its shape.
- The fluid contained within the inner membrane of a mitochondrion.
- A digestive organelle in eukaryotic cells; contains hydrolytic enzymes that digest the cell's food and wastes.
- An optical instrument with lenses that refract (bend) visible light to magnify images and project them into a viewer's eye or onto photographic film.
5 True/False questions
transmission electron microscope → A microscope that uses an electron beam to study the surface architecture of a cell or other specimen.
Vacuole → A sac made of membrane in the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell.
ribosome → A digestive organelle in eukaryotic cells; contains hydrolytic enzymes that digest the cell's food and wastes.
nucleoid → (1) An atom's central core, containing protons and neutrons. (2) The genetic control center of a eukaryotic cell.
endosymbiosis → One of a number of disk-shaped membranous sacs inside a chloroplast. Thylakoid membranes contain chlorophyll and the enzymes of the light reactions of photosynthesis. A stack of thylakoids is called a granum.