5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- mitochondrial matrix
- cell wall
- eukaryotic cell
- a A protective layer external to the plasma membrane in plant cells, bacteria, fungi, and some protists; protects the cell and helps maintain its shape.
- b The fluid contained within the inner membrane of a mitochondrion.
- c An open channel in a plant cell wall through which strands of cytoplasm connect from adjacent cells.
- d A type of cell that has a membrane-enclosed nucleus and other membrane-enclosed organelles. All organisms except bacteria and archaea are composed of eukaryotic cells.
- e A membrane-enclosed sac that is part of the endomembrane system of a eukaryotic cell, having diverse functions.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A macromolecule consisting of one or more polypeptides linked to short chains of sugars.
- An instrument that focuses an electron beam through, or onto the surface of, a specimen. An electron microscope achieves a hundredfold greater resolution than a light microscope.
- An infolding of the inner membrane of a mitochondrion in which is embedded the electron transport chain and the enzyme catalyzing the synthesis of ATP.
- An extensive membranous network in a eukaryotic cell, continuous with the outer nuclear membrane and composed of ribosome-studded (rough) and ribosome-free (smooth) regions.
- An intermediate-sized protein fiber that is one of the three main kinds of fibers making up the cytoskeleton of eukaryotic cells. Intermediate filaments are ropelike, made of fibrous proteins.
5 True/False questions
scanning electron microscope (SEM) → A microscope that uses an electron beam to study the surface architecture of a cell or other specimen.
chromosome → An organelle containing enzymes that transfer hydrogen from various substrates to oxygen, producing and then degrading hydrogen peroxide.
rough ER → (1) An atom's central core, containing protons and neutrons. (2) The genetic control center of a eukaryotic cell.
plasma membrane → The membrane that sets a cell off from its surroundings and acts as a selective barrier to the passage of ions and molecules into and out of the cell; consists of a phospholipid bilayer in which are embedded molecules of protein and cholesterol.
endomembrane system → A network of membranes inside and around a eukaryotic cell, related either through direct physical contact or by the transfer of membranous vesicles.