5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- transmission electron microscope
- eukaryotic cell
- prokaryotic cell
- a A type of cell that has a membrane-enclosed nucleus and other membrane-enclosed organelles. All organisms except bacteria and archaea are composed of eukaryotic cells.
- b An organelle containing enzymes that transfer hydrogen from various substrates to oxygen, producing and then degrading hydrogen peroxide.
- c A microscope that uses an electron beam to study the internal structure of thinly sectioned specimens.
- d A structure in an animal cell composed of cylinders of microtubule triplets arranged in a 9 and 0 pattern. An animal usually has a centrosome with a pair of centrioles involved in cell division.
- e A type of cell lacking a membrane-enclosed nucleus and other membrane-enclosed organelles; found only in the domains Bacteria and Archaea.
5 Multiple choice questions
- An open channel in a plant cell wall through which strands of cytoplasm connect from adjacent cells.
- A membrane-enclosed sac occupying most of the interior of a mature plant cell, having diverse roles in reproduction, growth, and development.
- The fluid contained within the inner membrane of a mitochondrion.
- A protective layer external to the plasma membrane in plant cells, bacteria, fungi, and some protists; protects the cell and helps maintain its shape.
- An intermediate-sized protein fiber that is one of the three main kinds of fibers making up the cytoskeleton of eukaryotic cells. Intermediate filaments are ropelike, made of fibrous proteins.
5 True/False questions
stroma → The fluid of the chloroplast surrounding the thylakoid membrane; involved in the synthesis of organic molecules from carbon dioxide and water; Sugars are made in the stroma by the enzymes of the Calvin cycle.
cytoskeleton → Everything inside a cell between the plasma membrane and the nucleus; consists of a semifluid medium and organelles.
organelle → A membrane-enclosed structure with a specialized function within a cell.
microfilament → The thinnest of the three main kinds of protein fibers making up the cytoskeleton of a eukaryotic cell; a solid, helical rod composed of the globular protein actin.
cellular metabolism → The chemical activities of cells.