5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What does USP stand for and why is it important?
- What happens to skin as it ages?
- What is a good analogy for exfoliation?
- What is the Stratum Corneum [from L. "stratum" = layer, "cornus" = horn] ?
- a The horny outer layer of the Epidermis, consisting of several layers of flat, keratinized (replete with the protein keratin thus becoming horn-like in texture), nonnucleated, dead or peeling cells. [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stratum+corneum?s=t]
- b The outer layer of skin get thick, and the underlying layer of skin gets thin, resulting in skin that looks rough and sagging in appearance. [Cosmetic Cop Podcast, July 18th, 2012]
- c A Pedicure. In a pedicure, dead skin cells are sanded off the heel of the foot using an emery board. After a pedicure the heel is smooth as a baby's bottom. Exfoliation accomplishes a similar function.
- d USP = United States Pharmaceutical. The USP was founded in 1820 to combat inconsistent drug quality and protect the public health; to create a system of standards to help ensure medication quality and uniformity in the United States. Official USP standards are legally enforceable by the U.S. Food Drug and Administration (FDA) for drugs imported to or marketed in the United States. USP establishes both written standards and physical USP Reference Standards. [http://www.usp.org/usp-manufacturers/pharmaceuticals]
- e ...
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Most people are shocked by what they see. The vast majority of people do not wear sufficient sunscreen and the damage shows up as an array of dark spots covering the majority of the face. [Skin Type Solution, page
- Melasma, also known as the "mask of pregnancy", consists of light or dark, brown or grey patches, ranging from the size of a dime, to large areas on the face and chest. It appears in sun exposed area, and more often in women during pregnancy or during estrogen replacement therapy.
- Cucumber extract, Vitamin E, Coenzyme Q10, Grapeseed Extract
- Ninety percent of skin aging is a result of sun damage
- Dark spots. 21% of visits to the Dermatologist are for the treatment of dark spots.
5 True/False Questions
How long does the Cell Cycle take? → Between 26 to 42 days. [Skin Type Solution, 18]
REFERENCES used. (partial list of references used) → ...
What are the benefits of Glycerin? → Glycerin acts as a humectant and an emollient to soften and smoothe skin
How can parents take advantage of the wood's light? → BHA is preferred for oily, acne-prone skin and for treating blackheads and white bumps because it can penetrate the oil clogging pores, normalizing the lining of the misshapen pore contributing to acne. BHA has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial action, as a result, BHA is preferred for those struggling with Rosacea. [http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/anti-aging/_/exfoliate-for-bright-smooth-and-radiant-skin#works]
What is Rosacea? → A chronic skin disease which affects adults (more often women) in which blood vessels of the face swell resulting in a flushed appearance. [WordWeb software] Ruddiness, redness of the cheeks, chin, and forehead are common symptoms. Flares up in intervals. [http://beauty.about.com/od/beautybyageteensto50/a/rosacea.htm[