5 Written Questions
4 Matching Questions
- SKIN CONDITIONS
- What is a Blackhead?
- What is hylarunoic acid?
- How long does it take to acquire the recommended daily intake of Vitamin D from the sun?
- a A type of polysaccharide, central to regulating cell growth and renewal. Found extensivelsy in connective, epithelial and neural cells. Binds readily with water and when injected under the skin provides an appearance of fullness
- b ...
- c Exposing just an arm to the sun at noon during the summer for 20 minutes will provide the body with approximately 10,000 IU of Vitamin D.
- d Blackheads (also called Comedones) are an accumulation of sebum, keratin, skin debris and bacteria within a hair follicle. Follicles in the skin become blocked with sebum, causing the follicle to widen, and collect dead skin cells and bacteria. Blackheads, in contrast to Whiteheads, are open to the air, causing the oils to oxidize, turning them brown (similar process to an apple browning with exposure to oxygen). [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedo]
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- UVA (Ultraviolet AGING) Radiation is a long wave radiation which can easily pass through glass and penetrates deeply into the skin, reaching the endodermis and damaging the skin's DNA. UVA Radiation is more insidious than UVB radiation, as it does not readily burn the skin, instead doing damage surreptitiously below the skin's surface, prompting the creation of new wrinkles and skin imperfections.
- Over scrubbing the skin, hot water, irritating skin-care ingredients (ALCOHOL, which is irritating for everyone, menthol, lime, eucalyptus, fragrances, essential oils : all of which are more of a concern for people with sensitive skin)
- A Pedicure. Scrubbing off the dead skin cells on the heel of the foot, results in the exposure of softer, smoother skin underneath. The heel looks brand new, practically baby smooth. The wrinkles are gone. The skin looks baby new. [Cosmetic Cop Podcast, July 18th, 2012]
- A substance that absorbs moisture [from Latin "umectare" = to moisen]
- Vitamin C promotes Collage Synthesis and is an antioxidant.
5 True/False Questions
What is melasma? → Melasma, also known as the "mask of pregnancy", consists of light or dark, brown or grey patches, ranging from the size of a dime, to large areas on the face and chest. It appears in sun exposed area, and more often in women during pregnancy or during estrogen replacement therapy.
What is Exfoliation? → Removing the dead skin cells on the surface layer of skin to reveal the smoother, younger skin cells underneath. The benefits of exfoliation can be seen "literally overnight." [Cosmetic Cop Podcast, July 18th, 2012]
What is an additional benefit of exfoliating with AHA and BHA? → Use of AHA and BHA in addition to exfoliation, increases Collagen production and reformation.
What is a humectant? → ...
What is most people's reaction to their skin's appearance upon exposure to a wood's light or UVB camera? → Most people are shocked by what they see. The vast majority of people do not wear sufficient sunscreen and the damage shows up as an array of dark spots covering the majority of the face. [Skin Type Solution, page