5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What is Niacinamide?
- Are tanning beds safe or beneficial to the skin?
- Is Ivory soap good for sensitive skin?
- What is an Occlusive?
- What are the benefits of AHA?
- a NO! Vigorously foaming soaps, like Ivory, are terrible for dry skin because they wash away the natural lipids that help your skin retain moisture. Any product that produces suds and foams contains detergent which is anathema for dry skin. [Skin Type Solution, 15]
- b AHA exfoliates by loosening the bonds between dead corneum cells by dissolving the intercellular cement (lipids) holding them together. AHA's also improve moisture content. AHA's are preferred for sun damaged and dry skin because they exfoliate on the surface of the skin. [http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/anti-aging/_/exfoliate-for-bright-smooth-and-radiant-skin#works]
- c Tanning beds are terrible for the skin. The World Health Organization (WHO) has designated tanning beds as being a Level 1 Carcinogen, meaning they are as carcinogenic as Mustard Gas and Arsenic.
- d A water soluble vitamin made from Niacin. Niacinamide and Soy help forestall the transfer of pigment from Melanocytes to skin cells, helping prevent formation of brown spots. [Skin Type Solution, 26]
- e Materials such as oils and waxes which cannot be penetrated by water. Occlusives are spread onto skin to form a film which shields it to slow and prevent moisture from evaporating. [http://www.californiabodycare.com/glossary/225_occlusive.html]
5 Multiple choice questions
- The horny outer layer of the Epidermis, consisting of several layers of flat, keratinized (replete with the protein keratin thus becoming horn-like in texture), nonnucleated, dead or peeling cells. [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stratum+corneum?s=t]
- AVOID THE SUN.
- Ninety percent of skin aging is a result of sun damage
- Squalene is a natural organic compound produced by all plants and animals including humans. Produced in the liver, it is found in sebum, and helps keep hair flexible and the skin retain moisture. [http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-squalane-oil.htm]
- Elastin is an elastic protein in connective tissue that allows many tissues in the body to resume their shape after stretching or contracting
5 True/False questions
How can parents take advantage of the wood's light? → Classic examples are petrolatum and lanolin. For sensitive skin, dimethicone and shea butter.
What are the benefits of BHA? → AHA exfoliates by loosening the bonds between dead corneum cells by dissolving the intercellular cement (lipids) holding them together. AHA's also improve moisture content. AHA's are preferred for sun damaged and dry skin because they exfoliate on the surface of the skin. [http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/anti-aging/_/exfoliate-for-bright-smooth-and-radiant-skin#works]
What are some Cell-Communicating Ingredients? → retinol, retinaldehyde, retinoic acid, epigallocatechin-3-gallate, eicosapentaenoic acid, niacinamide, lecithin, linolenic acid, linolenic acid, phospholipids, carnitine, carnosine, adenosine triphosphate, adenosine cyclic phosphate, palmitoyl oligopeptide, palmitoyl tripeptide-3 (and most other peptides), and pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract [http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/cell-communicating-ingredients]
What is a humectant? → A substance added to another substance to keep it moist.
What is melasma? → Melasma, also known as the "mask of pregnancy", consists of light or dark, brown or grey patches, ranging from the size of a dime, to large areas on the face and chest. It appears in sun exposed area, and more often in women during pregnancy or during estrogen replacement therapy.