5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What are some of the brand names of retinol?
- What percentage of people wear sunscreen (both in sufficient quantity and frequency)?
- What other beautification practice is analagous to Exfoliation?
- How long does it take to acquire the recommended daily intake of Vitamin D from the sun?
- What is an Emulsifier [from L. "emulgere" = to milk out, from "ex" = out and "mulgere" = to milk]?
- a Exposing just an arm to the sun at noon during the summer for 20 minutes will provide the body with approximately 10,000 IU of Vitamin D.
- b A Pedicure. Scrubbing off the dead skin cells on the heel of the foot, results in the exposure of softer, smoother skin underneath. The heel looks brand new, practically baby smooth. The wrinkles are gone. The skin looks baby new. [Cosmetic Cop Podcast, July 18th, 2012]
- c A surfactant that makes it possible for oil and water to mix (typically they don't) and form an emulsion [a colloid (mixture / suspension) where both phases are liquids].
- d Renova, Avage, Retin-A
- e 10 percent [Cosmetic Cop Podcast, July 18th, 2012]
5 Multiple choice questions
- Ninety percent of skin aging is a result of sun damage
- wax esters, trigylcerides, squalene
- Exfoliation : with either an AHA (Glycolic Acid) or a BHA (Salicylic Acid). Exfoliation removes the surface layer of skin much more effectively and efficiently than the body can do on its own, effectively "accelerating" the natural exfoliation process. The morning following the Exfoliation (after the skin has recovered from the momentary irritation), the skin WILL look markedly smoother.
- Elastin is an elastic protein in connective tissue that allows many tissues in the body to resume their shape after stretching or contracting
5 True/False questions
Is a Tan the body's way of trying to "look good"? → Vitamin C promotes Collage Synthesis and is an antioxidant.
What are the 2 methods of preventing unwanted skin pigment formation? → The first is to inhibit the enzyme tyrosinase (enzyme responsible for the formation of melanin), preventing the formation of melanin. The second is to stop the transfer of color into the skin cells. [Skin Type Solution]
What is a Blackhead? → A chronic skin disease which affects adults (more often women) in which blood vessels of the face swell resulting in a flushed appearance. [WordWeb software] Ruddiness, redness of the cheeks, chin, and forehead are common symptoms. Flares up in intervals. [http://beauty.about.com/od/beautybyageteensto50/a/rosacea.htm[
What are the benefits of BHA? → AHA exfoliates by loosening the bonds between dead corneum cells by dissolving the intercellular cement (lipids) holding them together. AHA's also improve moisture content. AHA's are preferred for sun damaged and dry skin because they exfoliate on the surface of the skin. [http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/anti-aging/_/exfoliate-for-bright-smooth-and-radiant-skin#works]
What is a Whitehead? → Identical to a Blackhead, with the exception that a small amount of skin has grown over the follicle, resulting in the bump appearing white. [http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-comedone.htm]