5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What is a humectant?
- Is Hydroquinone safe to be used for a protracted period of time?
- What are some examples of tyrosinase (enzyme responsible for formation of melanin) inhibitors?
- What did Cleopatra purportedly use on her skin to maintain its radiance and uniformity of tone?
- Is Ivory soap good for sensitive skin?
- a A substance added to another substance to keep it moist.
- b Hydroquinone, Arbutin, Licorice Extract, Kojic Acid
- c No. Hydroquinone should only be used for a maximum of several weeks, and should never be used by women during pregnancy. However, it is recognized as the most effective treatment for addressing unwanted dark spots. [Skin Type Solution]
- d Sour milk. Sour milk contains Lactic Acid, which is an example of an AHA and thus a natural exfoliant for the skin. This was likely very helpful to Cleopatra for exfoliating off brown spots and other sun damage resulting from the desert climate of Egypt.
- e NO! Vigorously foaming soaps, like Ivory, are terrible for dry skin because they wash away the natural lipids that help your skin retain moisture. Any product that produces suds and foams contains detergent which is anathema for dry skin. [Skin Type Solution, 15]
5 Multiple choice questions
- Superficial reddening of the skin, usually in patches, as a result of injury, irritation, or sunburn causing dilatation of the blood capillaries. [from Gk. "erythros" = red]
- SPF indicates length of time a person can remain in the sun without burning (e.g. THEORETICALLY, a person who burns in 10 minutes using a sunscreen with SPF 15, can remain under the sun for 150 minutes). Practically, an SPF of 15 will last around an hour. [http://www.wisegeek.org/what-does-spf-mean.htm]
- A substance which softens the skin [from Latin. "ex" = out and "mollire" = soften]
- Niacinamide and Soy
- Fingers and toes contain fewer lipids than other parts of the body making them more susceptible to the effect of sustained immersion in water removing significant amounts of Sebum causing skin to absorb more water thus swelling and appearing wrinkled. [www.discoverymagazine.com]
5 True/False questions
What is UVB? → Elastin is an elastic protein in connective tissue that allows many tissues in the body to resume their shape after stretching or contracting
Does a "Broad Spectrum UVA / UVB" sunscreen guarantee total UV protection? → No. Hydroquinone should only be used for a maximum of several weeks, and should never be used by women during pregnancy. However, it is recognized as the most effective treatment for addressing unwanted dark spots. [Skin Type Solution]
What are Skin Identical ingredients? → ...
Can cosmetic companies claim their products will physiologically improve skin? → USP = United States Pharmaceutical. The USP was founded in 1820 to combat inconsistent drug quality and protect the public health; to create a system of standards to help ensure medication quality and uniformity in the United States. Official USP standards are legally enforceable by the U.S. Food Drug and Administration (FDA) for drugs imported to or marketed in the United States. USP establishes both written standards and physical USP Reference Standards. [http://www.usp.org/usp-manufacturers/pharmaceuticals]
What are some antioxidants often used in skin care products? → Oatmeal, Feverfew,Licochalone, Green Tea, Chamomile, Cucumber extract, Calendula, Grapeseed Extract