5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What are some of the brand names of retinol?
- What is UVB?
- What is elastin?
- SKIN CONDITIONS
- What does SPF refer to in relation to UVA and UVB radiation?
- a Renova, Avage, Retin-A
- b ...
- c The SPF number refers to the degree of protection the sunscreen offers from UVB ("Burning") radiation. It does NOT have any bearing on UVA ("Aging") radiation protection.
- d UVB (Ultraviolet BURNING) Radiation is short wave radiation responsible for creating a Sun Burn, and limits damage to the top layer of the skin (epidermis)
- e Elastin is an elastic protein in connective tissue that allows many tissues in the body to resume their shape after stretching or contracting
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Increased levels of estrogen can result in unwanted dark spots on the skin; however, estrogen also works to maintain the skin's youthfulness. After menopause, women who do not take estrogen will find that their skin's appearance will decline rapidly. Health takes precedence though; do not take estrogen replacement therapy if it is contraindicated.
- Between 10 am and 4pm
- Bag Balm, a moisturizing product used for udder soreness in cows and chapped hands in farmers. Known for its ability to address dry skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It contains petrolatum, lanolin, and an antiseptic. [Skin Type Solution, 304]
- A syrupy fatty alcohol formed by the saponification (the process of combining a fat and an oil to make soap through application of heat) of a fat and an oil. It is an excellent skin softener and humectant, and a very strong water binder. [Quizlet : Chapter 13 Skin Care Products by trujiloolga]
- Basal ["from the base or bottom"] cells (or "Mother Cells"), the lowest portion of the Epidermis which produce all other Epidermal cells, divide into "Daughter Cells" which rise up to the higher levels of the Epidermis. As they travel, they age and die, so that the top layer consists of dead cells which naturally exfoliate off. [Skin Type Solution, 18]
5 True/False Questions
What is the different between Physical and Chemical sunscreens? → Physical sunscreens REFLECT sunlight. Chemical sunscreens ABSORB UV light.
What are the 3 main components of the skin barrier? → ceramides, fatty acids, cholesterol
What is AHA and what are examples? → ...
What is Dimethicone? → A silicone oil which forms a slick, lubricating coat on a surface. Can be used in hair products to create a surface with less friction for easier combing, or as a protectant, emollient, and occlusive for skin care products.
What are some examples of Emolllients? → Glycerin acts as a humectant and an emollient to soften and smoothe skin