5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What is Erythema?
- What is a humectant?
- What is an Emulsifier [from L. "emulgere" = to milk out, from "ex" = out and "mulgere" = to milk]?
- What is a Phtlate?
- a A surfactant that makes it possible for oil and water to mix (typically they don't) and form an emulsion [a colloid (mixture / suspension) where both phases are liquids].
- b When the skin is exposed to UV radiation, Melanocytes (Melanin producing cells in the skin) produce increased amounts of the skin pigment Melanin as a mechanism of defense to help arrest radiation damage to the skin's cellular structures and DNA.
- c Phtlate's are used in nail polish and plastics. Phtlate's are illegal in Europe. [Cosmetic Cop Podcast, July 18th, 2012]
- d A substance added to another substance to keep it moist.
- e Superficial reddening of the skin, usually in patches, as a result of injury, irritation, or sunburn causing dilatation of the blood capillaries. [from Gk. "erythros" = red]
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Antioxidants are ingredients which help to counteract Free Radicals (which damage cells through disruption of atomic structure). They can also be said to inhibit oxidation. They thus help the condition of the skin, and in food applications keep foods from becoming rancid and spoiled.
- Use of AHA and BHA in addition to exfoliation, increases Collagen production and reformation.
- A Tan is a sign the skin has been DAMAGED. A Tan is a sign the skin has been trying to defend itself from the destructive effects of the sun's UV Radiation. A Tan is NOT the body's way of trying to "look good".
- The Epidermis [Gk. "epi" = over, "dermis" = skin] is the top layer of skin. When you look at someone's skin, you are looking at the very top layer, made of up of cells which reflect light. When the top layer is smooth, it reflects light evenly so that skin looks more uniform and radiant than when the surface is rougher. [Skin Type Solution, 18]
- Apply sunscreen 15-20 minutes before exposure to the sun to allow the cream sufficient time to form a proper barrier on the surface of the skin.
5 True/False Questions
What are some recommended Sunscreen brands which provide superior UVA / UVB protection? → Cliniderm Protective Lotion SPF 45 : Titanium Dioxide USP 6.6%, Zinc Oxide USP 6.1% (does NOT whiten skin!) , Blue Lizard Sensitive SPF 30+ : Titanium Dioxide 5%, Zinc Oxide 10% (bottle changes color when exposed to UV light!), Ombrelle Face SPF 60 : Octocrylene 10%, Titanium Dioxide 4.15%, Avobenzone 3.5%, Mexoryl XL 3%, Mexoryl SX 3% [DOES whiten skin some], Eco Sunscreen Face SPF 30+ : Zinc Oxice 20% [NOT tested on animals! does whiten skin though]
What are Skin Identical ingredients? → ...
What are Free Radicals? → Ceramides (Cera = wax) are lipids which form part of the skin barrier.
What other beautification practice is analagous to Exfoliation? → A Pedicure. Scrubbing off the dead skin cells on the heel of the foot, results in the exposure of softer, smoother skin underneath. The heel looks brand new, practically baby smooth. The wrinkles are gone. The skin looks baby new. [Cosmetic Cop Podcast, July 18th, 2012]
SUNSCREEN → ...