5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What are milia?
- What is most people's reaction to their skin's appearance upon exposure to a wood's light or UVB camera?
- What is hylarunoic acid?
- What is the Stratum Corneum [from L. "stratum" = layer, "cornus" = horn] ?
- What is an additional benefit of exfoliating with AHA and BHA?
- a Use of AHA and BHA in addition to exfoliation, increases Collagen production and reformation.
- b Small whitish lumps on the skin caused by clogged sebaceous glands. Milia typically occur on the face with the most common locations being around the eyes, face, across the nose and cheeks. In many instances, Milia disappear after a few weeks.
- c A type of polysaccharide, central to regulating cell growth and renewal. Found extensivelsy in connective, epithelial and neural cells. Binds readily with water and when injected under the skin provides an appearance of fullness
- d The horny outer layer of the Epidermis, consisting of several layers of flat, keratinized (replete with the protein keratin thus becoming horn-like in texture), nonnucleated, dead or peeling cells. [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stratum+corneum?s=t]
- e Most people are shocked by what they see. The vast majority of people do not wear sufficient sunscreen and the damage shows up as an array of dark spots covering the majority of the face. [Skin Type Solution, page
5 Multiple choice questions
- Ninety percent of skin aging is a result of sun damage
- Removing the dead skin cells on the surface layer of skin to reveal the smoother, younger skin cells underneath. The benefits of exfoliation can be seen "literally overnight." [Cosmetic Cop Podcast, July 18th, 2012]
- Fingers and toes contain fewer lipids than other parts of the body making them more susceptible to the effect of sustained immersion in water removing significant amounts of Sebum causing skin to absorb more water thus swelling and appearing wrinkled. [www.discoverymagazine.com]
- A substance that absorbs moisture [from Latin "umectare" = to moisen]
5 True/False questions
What are some Cell-Communicating Ingredients? → ...
What is Glycerin? → Elastin is an elastic protein in connective tissue that allows many tissues in the body to resume their shape after stretching or contracting
What effect does estrogen have on the skin? → ...
What is the goal of skin care for damaged skin? → Increased levels of estrogen can result in unwanted dark spots on the skin; however, estrogen also works to maintain the skin's youthfulness. After menopause, women who do not take estrogen will find that their skin's appearance will decline rapidly. Health takes precedence though; do not take estrogen replacement therapy if it is contraindicated.
What are the 3 components of the oil secreted by the sebaceous (oil) glands of the skin? → wax esters, trigylcerides, squalene