5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Molecular phylogenetics suggests that myriapods and insects may be sister clades.
- The choanoflagellates are more closely related to the fungi than to other protists
- Viruses are considered detached fragments of prokaryotic genomes
- There had to be a reducing atmosphere rather than one with oxygen, otherwise formation of those molecules would have been extremely difficult.
- a Which one of the following statements about the classification of arthropods and crustaceans is false?
- b Of the following primitive Earth conditions and chemical reactions, which one do biochemists know was important to the formation of amino acids and subsequent formation of complex carbon molecules that are common to life?
- c Which one of the following statements about viruses is false?
- d Which one of the following statements about protists is false?
- e Eukaryotic cells acquired mitochondria and chloroplasts by
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- In the taxonomic hierarchical system for grouping organisms, the next higher group to a family is
- The early Earth's reducing atmosphere probably contained all of the following except
- All living organisms share all of the following features in common except they
- Eutherians mammals are placed in four groups, a major split occurring between
- The oldest fossils of eukaryotes have been estimated to be
5 True/False Questions
paraphyletic → All of the following were produced in experiments on primitive Earth conditions conducted by Miller-Urey and others, except for
hierarchical → In that any one group fits within a more inclusive group, the biological classification systems are
ribozymes → The first living organisms that arose on earth are believed to have evolved according to a series of steps represented by the appearance of specific molecules. Of the molecules listed, which one would most likely have appeared fourth?
Land plants are now considered a subgroup within the Chlorophyta → Which one of the following statements about origin of land plants is false?
photosynthesis → All living organisms possess the following features except