5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- meteors and/or cosmic dust clouds carried various complex organic molecules to the Earth, which eventually evolved into what we know today.
- some of the organic compounds needed for life could be formed abiotically
- a Urey and Miller, using a sterile container with boiling water, a reducing atmosphere, an electric spark, and a condenser, were able to determine that
- b The phenomenon that probably gave rise to the organelles in eukaryotes is
- c The early Earth's reducing atmosphere probably contained all of the following except
- d One day while Dr. Rogers was working in his taxonomic laboratory, a package arrived with the following label: "Beware, the contents of this package contains a eukaryotic, multicellular, nonmotile, nonphotosynthetic life form. Open with extreme caution." Dr. Rogers quickly closed the doors and windows of his laboratory and opened the package. To which kingdom of life could this life form belong?
- e One of the theories about the origin of life is panspermia. Panspermia proposes that
5 Multiple choice questions
- Which of the following was produced in experiments on primitive Earth conditions conducted by Miller-Urey and others?
- In the taxonomic hierarchical system for grouping organisms, the next higher group to a family is
- Which one of the following statements about endosymbiosis and the origin of the eukaryotic cell is false?
- Living organisms can be divided into _____ domains.
- Kingdom ____________would include green algae and land plants.
5 True/False questions
Molecular phylogenetics suggests that myriapods and insects may be sister clades. → Eutherians mammals are placed in four groups, a major split occurring between
E. none of the kingdoms. → Diversity among the vast numbers of organisms that have arisen on Earth can be attributed to ____.
class; family → If two organisms are in the same phylum and the same order, then they also belong to the same
There had to be a reducing atmosphere rather than one with oxygen, otherwise formation of those molecules would have been extremely difficult. → Of the following primitive Earth conditions and chemical reactions, which one do biochemists know was important to the formation of amino acids and subsequent formation of complex carbon molecules that are common to life?
Viruses are considered detached fragments of prokaryotic genomes → Which one of the following statements about viruses is false?