5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Anthracite Coal Strike
- Boxer Rebellion
- a This term applies to newspaper reporters and other writers who pointed out the social problems of the era of big business. The term was first given to them by Theodore Roosevelt.
- b 1902 United Mine Workers of America strike in eastern Pennsylvania which threatened to cause an energy crisis requiring the federal government to intervene on the side of labor for the first time
- c the action of making a petition in order to get an issue onto a ballot
- d system of managing government through departments run by appointed officials
- e A 1900 Uprising in China aimed at ending foreign influence in the country.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Muckracker who wrote about vote stealing and political machines in The Shame of Cities published in McLure Magazine
- Financial downturn in 1907 that featured runs on banks, suicides, and criminal indictments against speculators; paved the way for fiscal reforms
- guaranteed both the US and England rights to the panama canal.
- A policy in which a strong nation seeks to dominate other countries poitically, socially, and economically
- Determined that inhabitants of U.S. territories had some, but not all, of the rights of U.S. citizens.
5 True/False Questions
Gentlemen's Agreement → Agreement when Japan agreed to curb the number of workers coming to the US and in exchange Roosevelt agreed to allow the wives of the Japenese men already living in the US to join them
Direct primary → the choosing of a candidate for the representation of a political party
Worker's Compensation → the company's insurance pays for medical bills if an employee gets hurt while on the job
Spheres of Influence → The meeting between Japan, Russia, and the U.S. that ended the Russo-Japanese War in 1905. Roosevelt won the Nobel Peace Prize for stopping the fighting between those two countries.
Foraker Act → law which ended military rule in Puerto Rico