5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Root- Takahira Agreement
- Standard Oil Company
- Square Deal
- Pure Food and Drug Act
- a The reclaiming of land and natural resources
- b the act that prohibited the manufacture, sale, or shipment of impure of falsely labeled food and drugs
- c President Theodore Roosevelt's plan for reform; all Americans are entitled to an equal opportinity to succeed
- d John D. Rockefeller's comapny, formed in 1870, which came to symbolize the trusts and monopolies of the Gilded age. By 1877 it controlled 95% of the oil refineries in the U.S. However, by the turn of the century it had become a target for trus-busting reformers, and in 1911 the Supreme Court ordered it to break up into several dozen smaller companies
- e 1908 - Japan / U.S. agreement in which both nations agreed to respect each other's territories in the Pacific and to uphold the Open Door policy in China.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Ship that explodes off the coast of Cuba in Havana harbor and helps contribute to the start of the Spanish-American War
- Secretary of State under McKinley and Roosevelt who pioneered the open-door policy and Panama canal
- 1902 United Mine Workers of America strike in eastern Pennsylvania which threatened to cause an energy crisis requiring the federal government to intervene on the side of labor for the first time
- 1908 - Louis D Branders got the Supreme Court to accept laws protecting women against the harmful effects of factory labor
- guaranteed both the US and England rights to the panama canal.
5 True/False Questions
Women's Christian Temperance Union → This organization was dedicated to the idea of the 18th Amendment - the Amendment that banned the manufacture, sale, or transportation of alcohol.
Open Door Notes → message send by secretary of state John Hay in 1899 to Germany, Russia, Great Britain, France, Italy & Japan asking the countries not to interfere with US trading rights in China.
Initiative → the action of making a petition in order to get an issue onto a ballot
Roosevelt Corollary → the choosing of a candidate for the representation of a political party
Spheres of Influence → The meeting between Japan, Russia, and the U.S. that ended the Russo-Japanese War in 1905. Roosevelt won the Nobel Peace Prize for stopping the fighting between those two countries.