5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Interest-based bargaining (IBB)
- Dues checkoff
- Negligent retention
- Hot Cargo clauses
- Closed shop
- a Clause that states that union membership is a condition of hiring; is illegal (except in the construction industry).
- b Where employees agree in writing to an automatic deduction of dues from their paychecks.
- c Retention of employees who engage in misconduct both during and after working hours.
- d Form of negotiating where parties look for common ground and attempt to satisfy mutual interests through the bargaining process.
- e Agreement that union members are not required to handle goods made by nonunion labor or a struck plant; illegal except for provisions in the construction and clothing industries.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Broadening the scope of a job by expanding the number of different tasks to be performed.
- Group of people that work in a self-managing way. Typically the group assumes complete autonomy.
- Act that provides balance of power between union and management by designating certain union activities as unfair labor practices; also known as Taft-Hartley Act.
- Clause that states that even if workers do not join the union, they must still pay the equivalent of dues to the union.
- Principle under which regulations on unfair labor practices that apply to employers and unions also apply to acts of their agents.
5 True/False questions
Collective bargaining agreement (CBA) → Process by which management and union representatives negotiate the employment conditions for a particular bargaining unit for a designated period of time.
Norris-LaGuardia Act → Act that protects the rights of employees to organize unhampered by management; also known as National Labor Relations Act (NLRA)
Consent election → Type of representation election that involves an agreement between an employer and a union to waive the preelection hearing.
Mediation → Procedure in which disputes are submitted to one or more impartial persons for final determination.
Federal Labor Relations Authority (FLRA) → Removes authority of a bargaining representative in a non-right-to-work state to negotiate or enforce a union security clause.