5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Social charter
- Implied contract
- Mandatory Subjects
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Good-faith bargaining
- a Generally means that parties in a negotiation enter into discussion with fair and open minds and a sincere desire to arrive at an agreement.
- b Collective bargaining items required by law and the NLRB.
- c Exists when an agreement is implied from circumstances even though there is no express agreement between employer and employee.
- d As related to international labor relations, legislation pending before European Union where employment conditions/practices would be standardized.
- e Umbrella term used to describe a number of problem-solving and grievance resolution approaches.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Act that minimally restricted the use of injuctions against labor and legalized peaceful strikes, picketing, and boycotts.
- Grants management full authority and discretion over the items that are or could be covered unless the contract limits management's rights in a particular area.
- Act that extended the policies of the Railway Labor Act to all interstate commerce organizations.
- Broad statement that reflects an organization's philosophy, objectives, or standards concerning a particular set of management or employee activities.
- Imposes on each party in a contract an obligation for honesty in the conduct of the transaction.
5 True/False Questions
Principled negotiation → Type of contract negotiation based on four premises:1) separate the people from the problem, 2) focus on interests, not positions, 3) invent options for mutual gain, and 4) insist on objective criteria.
Featherbedding → Giving more-senior workers whose jobs have been eliminated the right to transfer into jobs of less-senior workers.
Coordinated bargaining → When an employer bargains with several unions simultaneously but on a separate basis.
Skill variety → Temporary allocation of personel and resources for the accomplishment of a specific objective.
Union shop → Clause that states that when workers take jobs in a specific bargaining unit, they must join the union within a certain period of time.