5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- a the origination point of an earthquake
- b Splitting of an atom into two atoms of lighter elements. This is basic of nuclear energy production
- c Combination of evaporation and transpiration
- d The natural aging process of a lake that is greatly accelerated by human actions. also called cultural eutrophication, casued by additions of nutrients mainly nitrogen and phosphorus
- e A bay open to the ocean at one end and receiving fresh water from a river at the other end, hence mixing of fresh and salt water occurs.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The naturally hot interior of Earth.
- occurs when habitats are divided into a patch work of intact forest land and deforested lands.
- Test for presence of the bacteria Escherichia coli, typically found in the gut of humans and other mammals. Used to determine the contamination of a body of water. The presence of fecal coliform is an indication that harmful bacteria are present.
- An area in aquatic ecosystems where there is enough light penetration to support photosynthesis.
- A stage in the ecological succession of a lake where nutrient rich water provides abundant growth of algae and or other aquatic plants. Called middle-aged lake.
5 True/False Questions
First Law of Thermodynamics → Law of Conservation of Energy. States that energy is never created but only converted from one form to another.
Extinction → refers to change over time. States that all species now on Earth descended gradually from ancestoral species through process known as natural selection.
Environment → Includes all of the biotic and abiotic factos that can affect and organism.
Environmental Science → The branch of science that studies environmental issues.
Epiphytes → Also known as airplants, some nutrients for the air. usually tropical plants grow on trees but are not parasitic.