STRAIN Westward Expansion Review
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Bear Flag Revolt
- Texas annexation
- New Mexico
- a _________ was the oldest and most important province on the northern frontier of New Spain.
- b This event caused Mexico to cut off diplomatic ties with the United States.
- c Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are called __________.
- d During this event, a small group of American settlers declared California an independent republic.
- e In the early 1840s, most California residents were _____________.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The Republic of Texas continued to have problems with Mexico until Houston signed a peace agreement with _____________ .
- Most 49ers who traveled in wagon trains through the South Pass of the Rockies or along the Snta Fe Trail came from the ____________.
- _____________ was sent on a mission through enemy lines to find reinforcements at the Alamo and thus escaped death.
- _________ was the 1st president of the Republic of Texas.
- ____________ defeated the Spanish and declared himslef emperor of independent Mexico.
5 True/False Questions
Waiilatpu → old Franciscan mission at San Antonio
China → Between 1849 and 1853 about 24,000 young men migrated to California from ___________.
Buena Vista → Santa Anna's troops retreated under the cover of darkness after clashing with Taylor at _____________.
adobe → take control of
transcendentalist → Henry David Thoreau and Ralph Waldo Emerson were ____________ writers who opposed the Mexican War.