Artificial Embryo Twinning
the technique of dividing and transferring embryos into another organism for development
Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer
replacing nuclei of egg cells with nuclei from somatic cells
What are the steps of SCNT?
1) Isolate a donor egg cell and somatic cell; 2) Enucleate egg cell; 3) Put the nucleus into the egg cell; 4) Electric shocks; 5) Put it in the uterus
What are three animals that have been cloned in the past?
sea urchins, sheep, frogs
What is "nature vs. nurture?"
how you're raised vs. genetic code
taking a sperm and fertilizing an egg before putting it in the uterus
the blastocyst is split into multiple two-celled blastocysts
a woman goes to a sperm bank and gets some implanted
Why does animal cloning have such a high failure rate?
mutations in DNA
What is the effect of telomeres on cloning?
create a protein called telomerase and cells with high amounts of it last longer and have less mutations (egg cells, sperm cells, etc); cells with less are susceptible to mutations. telomeres are good for cloning
What are the steps to therapeutic cloning?
1) Isolate a donor egg cell and somatic cell; 2) Enucleate egg cell; 3) Put the nucleus into the egg cell; 4) Electric shocks; 5) Grow it in a Petri dish; 6) Harvest stem cells from it
What are the different types of stem cells?
• Embryonic Stem Cells (ES cells)
• Blastocyst Embryonic Stem Cells
• Fetal stem cells
• Umbilical cord stem cells
• Adult stem cells
What are the sources of stem cells?
fetal, umbilical, and umbilical
between two sex cells and fetus; consists of 32 cells
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions above and try again
Reload the page to try again!
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see