5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Buffalo Soldiers
- Ghost Dances
- Helen Hunt Jackson's "A Century of Dishonor"
- Chivington/Sand Creek Massacre
- Joseph McCoy
- a Began the trend of shipping cattle to Kansas from Texas in order to get beef to the eastern market
- b Chief Black Kettle led 700 followers to Sand Creek and was attacked by Colonel Chivington even after they raised the American flag and a white flag.
- c Thought to bring back Native American lands and the vanishing buffalo
- d African American cavalrymen on the western frontier
- e Aroused public awareness to the wrongs that the federal government had inflicted on the American Indias
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Invented by Joseph F. Glidden; meant to provide plains farmers with cheap and effective fencing.
- Rebelled against government policy and led by their chief, fled for Canda for 75 days
- Began with Fetterman massacre and called into quesiton the Indian Policy (assimilation v. control); Ended with Peace Commision
- Produced over 340 million in gold and silver by 1890 and was primarily responsible for attracting enough 49ers to bring Nevada into the union
- Settlers usually traveled West in family units, joining others to create "trains" that elected leaders and established rules; under the best conditions the trip took 6 months
5 True/False Questions
Sodbusters → About 6,000 blacks who established lives in Kansas to escape the South and black codes
Dawes Severalty Act of 1887 → Gave 160 acres of land to anyone who would pay a $10 registration and pledge to live on it and cultivate it for 5 years.
Exodusters → About 6,000 blacks who established lives in Kansas to escape the South and black codes
Denver, Colorado → Produced over 340 million in gold and silver by 1890 and was primarily responsible for attracting enough 49ers to bring Nevada into the union
Turner's Thesis → Boomers waited for the signal during the Oklahoma rush and Sooners jumped the gun.