← Plasmodium Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Treatment of malaria - problems?
- Forms of plasmodium that are a zoonosis
- List the different species of mosquitoes that can harbor malaria and what region
- Hypnozoite stage is present in
- Life cycle of plasmodium in vertebrate
- a Africa - Anopheles gambiae / Asia - Anopheles stephensi / South America - Anopheles darlingi
- b Chloroquine, Quinine, Mefloquine, Artemisinin. Drug resistance has developed for these drugs - Chloroquine sucks and Artemisinin is the best, but drug resistance to everything is a problem.
- c P. vivax and P. ovale
- d 1. Mosquito injects SPOROZOITE into blood 2. sporozoite invades liver cells and becomes TROPHOZOITE 3. Replication by exoerythrocytic schizogony, trophozoites to MEROZOITES 4. merozoites released and attack RBCs 5. merozoites to RING STAGE TROPHOZOITES (cycles back to merozoites or macrogametocyte) 6. Macrogametocytes and microgametocytes form zygote.
- e P. malariae
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- malaria - plasmodium
- syngamy followed by sporogony
- 1. Plasmodium falciparum 2. Plasmodium vivax 3. Plasmodium malariae 4. Plasmodium ovale 5. Plasmodium knowlesi
- in P. vivax and P. ovale.
5 True/False Questions
Plasmodium kills a lot of people 1-3 million per year, but most are → children under 5 years old
How many different species can cause human malaria? → 1. Plasmodium falciparum 2. Plasmodium vivax 3. Plasmodium malariae 4. Plasmodium ovale 5. Plasmodium knowlesi
Is plasmodium heteroxenous or monoxenous? → Yep
What is the problem with trying to treat infected individuals with malaria? Can you eradicate the disease in this way? → One merozoite could produce billions of parasites in 2 weeks. Humans can develop tolerance, premunition and keeping parasite at low levels. Infants protected by maternal antibodies.
Malignant Tertian Malaria → 48 hr recurring fevers, More drawn out. P. falciparum