5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Definitive host of plasmodium is
- Benign Tertian Malaria
- Can a baby catch malaria from mom?
- Does plasmodium have antigenic variation?
- a No, but sticky RBCs cause low birth weight and thus stillbirth
- b P. vivax. BTM is when you have 48 hr recurring fevers.
- c Yep
- d mosquito
- e Found in plasmodium apicomplexans. A pigment they produce as a result of hemoglobin breakdown.
5 Multiple choice questions
- P. falciparum
- Killing vector or preventing vector contact - insecticides, larvicides, bed nets
- Where you find malaria, tropical regions like Africa, South America, Southern Asia
- asexual schizogony
- It can invade though at least 4 different receptors
5 True/False questions
Factors that affect plasmodium transmission → 1. Human reservoirs that are aymptomatic 2. Naïve host 3. Vector 4. Climate
Quartan malaria → P. vivax. BTM is when you have 48 hr recurring fevers.
43% of malaria cases → P. vivax
Is plasmodium heteroxenous or monoxenous? → Yep
2 main factors for resistance to Plasmodium → ~50 var genes, only one expressed at a time. var switching can lead to recrudescence.