5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- D. dendriticum adults live in
- Paragonimus westermani - 1. adults live where and how? 2. Eggs passed how? 3. After how long does egg hatch 4. What species of snail is IH? 5. Life stages
- Geographic distribution of D. dendriticum - habitat?
- D. dendriticum - 1. Acetabulum 2. morphology 3. reproductive system 4. egg 5. what occupies middle third of organism?
- John and his gf went out and had crab at a sketchy restaurant and now he is having breathing difficulties, what could he have?
- a 1. Adults in DH live in lungs, pair up 2. Eggs in sputum or swallowed and passed in feces. 3. After at least 16 days in water miracidium hatches. 4. Thieridae snail is IH. 5. adult/egg/miracidium/sporocyst/redia/cercaria ( inside snail
- b Europe, Asia - 45% of cattle in switzerland. Some in USA and Australia. Habitat is grasslands where herbivores graze.
- c 1. distome 2. pointed ends 3. Testes are anterior to ovary. Prominent uterus, 4. Operculated egg 5. Vittelline glands occupy the middle third of the organism.
- d bile duct
- e P. westermani
5 Multiple choice questions
- lung fluke
- 1. distome 2. monoecious but prefers cross fertilization 3. Adults look like coffee beans and are unusually thick 4. Tegument covered in spines 5. reproductive system - ovaries left of midline, vitelline follicles at lateral ends.
- By eating raw or undercooked crab with metacercariae.
- 2. 1ST I.H. = Snail. 2nd = Ant
- Lancet fluke, pointed body
5 True/False questions
Pickling does not kill → Praziquantel.
Diagnosis of p. westermani - can often be mistaken for, in brain? → finds eggs in sputum or feces, biopsy, ELISA, x ray or CT. Can often be mistaken for tuberculosis, pneumonia, spirochaetosis in lungs, or tumors, encephalitis, hydatids in brains.
Life cycle of D. dendriticum (probs the only important thing to know about it) → 1. Eggs in feces 2. (Cionella lubrica in U.S snail eats egg) 3. Miracidium in snail intestine to digestive gland 4. mother sporocyst to daughter sporocyst 5. no redia - to cercaria (tailed). 6. Cercaria accumulate in mantle cavity and irritation causes mucous building and slime balls 7. (Formica fusca ant eats slime ball and ingest cercaria) 8. Cercaria penetrate ant gut and encysts as metacercaria inside ant hemocoel 8. One cercaria migrates to subesophageal ganglion and becomes brainworm and alters ant behavior. Remains at grass tip and eaten 9. Ruminent eats ant and metacercaria excyst in duodenum, juveniles migrates to bile duct. Adults in bile duct produce eggs.
Why is D. dendriticum rare in humans → sheep, cattle, goats, pigs
Dicrocoelium dendriticum and Paragonimus westermani are 1. mono/di genean parasites? 2. mono/heteroxenous 3. hosts 4. size → 1. digenean 2. indirect life cycles - 2 I.H. 3. First I.H is a snail 4. D. dendriticum similar in length as P. westermani, but half the size.