5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Paragonimus westermani - 1. adults live where and how? 2. Eggs passed how? 3. After how long does egg hatch 4. What species of snail is IH? 5. Life stages
- D.H for D. dendriticum are
- Paragonimus westermani - 1. acetabulum 2. sex 3. morphology 4. tegument 5. reproductive system
- Dicrocoelium dendriticum and Paragonimus westermani are 1. mono/di genean parasites? 2. mono/heteroxenous 3. hosts 4. size
- Why is D. dendriticum rare in humans
- a 1. Adults in DH live in lungs, pair up 2. Eggs in sputum or swallowed and passed in feces. 3. After at least 16 days in water miracidium hatches. 4. Thieridae snail is IH. 5. adult/egg/miracidium/sporocyst/redia/cercaria ( inside snail
- b 1. digenean 2. indirect life cycles - 2 I.H. 3. First I.H is a snail 4. D. dendriticum similar in length as P. westermani, but half the size.
- c sheep, cattle, goats, pigs
- d because we don't eat infected ants on grass.
- e 1. distome 2. monoecious but prefers cross fertilization 3. Adults look like coffee beans and are unusually thick 4. Tegument covered in spines 5. reproductive system - ovaries left of midline, vitelline follicles at lateral ends.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Europe, Asia - 45% of cattle in switzerland. Some in USA and Australia. Habitat is grasslands where herbivores graze.
- similar to P. westermani, form of lung fluke. In US, fun research saying that they had alcohol and ate weird **** and got this parasite.
- Lancet fluke, pointed body
- 1. Eggs in feces 2. (Cionella lubrica in U.S snail eats egg) 3. Miracidium in snail intestine to digestive gland 4. mother sporocyst to daughter sporocyst 5. no redia - to cercaria (tailed). 6. Cercaria accumulate in mantle cavity and irritation causes mucous building and slime balls 7. (Formica fusca ant eats slime ball and ingest cercaria) 8. Cercaria penetrate ant gut and encysts as metacercaria inside ant hemocoel 8. One cercaria migrates to subesophageal ganglion and becomes brainworm and alters ant behavior. Remains at grass tip and eaten 9. Ruminent eats ant and metacercaria excyst in duodenum, juveniles migrates to bile duct. Adults in bile duct produce eggs.
- P. westermani
5 True/False Questions
D. dendriticum has how many I.H.? What are they → 2. 1ST I.H. = Snail. 2nd = Ant
Pathology and Symptoms of P. westermani → lung fluke
D. dendriticum adults live in → bile duct
Pickling does not kill → P. westermani.
Diagnosis of p. westermani - can often be mistaken for, in brain? → Adult in lung, eggs in sputum or swallowed and in feces. 2. eggs hatch to miracidium 3. miracidium in snail to sporocyst to redia to cercaria 4. spined cercaria with knob tails are released to invade 2nd I.H like crab or crayfish. 5. they encyst as metacercaria and 2nd I.h eats them. 6. excyst in duodenum of 2nd IH. 7. Juvenile penetrate the intestine and embed in abdominal wall. 8. we eat the 2ND IH 9. Juvi's reenter coelom, penetrate coelom and migrate to our lungs. 10. They find a mate, and form cyst in lungs. 11. mature into adults