5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- John and his gf went out and had crab at a sketchy restaurant and now he is having breathing difficulties, what could he have?
- D.H for D. dendriticum are
- D. dendriticum - 1. Acetabulum 2. morphology 3. reproductive system 4. egg 5. what occupies middle third of organism?
- How to diagnose D. dendriticum? Treatment? Control?
- Common name for Paragonimus westermani
- a lung fluke
- b Most are asymptomatic - look for eggs in feces. Treat with praziquantel, expensive, or benzimidazoles. Control is difficult because of crazy life cycle. - snails and ants hard to control. Have to keep tabs on your grazing times.
- c P. westermani
- d sheep, cattle, goats, pigs
- e 1. distome 2. pointed ends 3. Testes are anterior to ovary. Prominent uterus, 4. Operculated egg 5. Vittelline glands occupy the middle third of the organism.
5 Multiple choice questions
- similar to P. westermani, form of lung fluke. In US, fun research saying that they had alcohol and ate weird **** and got this parasite.
- D. dendriticum
- because we don't eat infected ants on grass.
- finds eggs in sputum or feces, biopsy, ELISA, x ray or CT. Can often be mistaken for tuberculosis, pneumonia, spirochaetosis in lungs, or tumors, encephalitis, hydatids in brains.
- Adult in lung, eggs in sputum or swallowed and in feces. 2. eggs hatch to miracidium 3. miracidium in snail to sporocyst to redia to cercaria 4. spined cercaria with knob tails are released to invade 2nd I.H like crab or crayfish. 5. they encyst as metacercaria and 2nd I.h eats them. 6. excyst in duodenum of 2nd IH. 7. Juvenile penetrate the intestine and embed in abdominal wall. 8. we eat the 2ND IH 9. Juvi's reenter coelom, penetrate coelom and migrate to our lungs. 10. They find a mate, and form cyst in lungs. 11. mature into adults
5 True/False questions
Geographic distribution of Paragonimus westermani → Europe, Asia - 45% of cattle in switzerland. Some in USA and Australia. Habitat is grasslands where herbivores graze.
Paragonimus westermani - 1. adults live where and how? 2. Eggs passed how? 3. After how long does egg hatch 4. What species of snail is IH? 5. Life stages → 1. Adults in DH live in lungs, pair up 2. Eggs in sputum or swallowed and passed in feces. 3. After at least 16 days in water miracidium hatches. 4. Thieridae snail is IH. 5. adult/egg/miracidium/sporocyst/redia/cercaria ( inside snail
Pathology of D. dendriticum is similar to x except. Symptoms → F. hepatica -except that there is no trauma to gut wall or liver parenchyma due to juvenile migration. You see a lot of biliary and liver damage -inflammation, fibrosis, hepatic degeneration, cirrhosis, bile duct distention/dysfunction
How do humans usually get infected with P. westermani? → By eating raw or undercooked crab with metacercariae.
Dicrocoelium dendriticum and Paragonimus westermani are 1. mono/di genean parasites? 2. mono/heteroxenous 3. hosts 4. size → Asia, Africa, Central and South America. About 20 million people infected. Habitat is swift flowing streams and snail habitats.