5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- a transfer power to smaller regions. An example of this is when Belgium transfered power to regions of Wallonia, Flanders and Brussels
- b embankments of earth and rock to hold back the water
- c central point of concentrated activity and influence. An example of this would be Madrid as it was the central point of concentrated activity and of transportation routes
- d a single currency to be used by member nations
- e a soft, brown coal that is easy to mine but pollutes the air heavily
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- a spongy material containing waterlogged mosses and plants
- able to produce abundant crops
- areas of land that have dropped down between faults. The Aegean Sea to the east of the Greek mainland occupies one of these.
- sharply rising prices. This happened in Germany in 1929 when a worldwide economic depression left millions of Germans without jobs.
- The North Atlantic Drift carries tropical waters toward Europe. The winds that blow across this warm current define this word.
5 True/False Questions
confederation → a loose political union. An example of this was starting in the late 1700's the state of Prussia in what is now eastern Germany led a movement to merge many German states.
geothermal energy → energy produced from the heat of the earths interior. This kind of energy accounts for a large share of the power used for heat and electricity in Iceland
blight → this caused the Potato famine in Ireland in the 1840's. It is a plant disease that destroyed the potato crop year after year.
tsunami → a huge destructive wave (especially one caused by an earthquake)
nationalized → deep and wide enough to allow large ships to pass. An example of this in Spain is the Guadalquivir River.