5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- adrenal gland
- antidiuretic hormone
- a excessive hormone production by an endocrine gland
- b one of a pair of ductless glands, located above the kidneys, consisting of a cortex, which produces steroidal hormones, and a medulla, which produces epinephrine and norepinephrine.
- c a corticosteroid hormone that is secreted by the cortex of the adrenal gland, regulates mineral balance in blood and controls fluid volumes
- d hormone secreted by the posterior pituitary gland which aids in water reabsorption by the kidney
- e A hormone produced by the hypothalamus and released from the posterior pituitary. It induces contractions of the uterine muscles during labor.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A small mass of tissue near the center of the brain; it secretes the hormone melatonin.
- a general term for female steroid sex hormones that are secreted by the ovary and responsible for typical female sexual characteristics
- Hormone secreted by the pineal gland, used to regulate sleep patterns.
- local hormones that do not enter the bloodstream
- outer part of kidney which produces corticosteroids; helps body deal with longtern stress
5 True/False questions
thyroid gland → gland found in neck that regulates rate of metabolism; produces thyroxine
diabetes → outer part of kidney which produces corticosteroids; helps body deal with longtern stress
cortisol → secreted from the adrenal cortex, aids the body during stress by regulating glucose, carbohydrates, and fat levels
acromegaly → Hypersecretion of the GH in adults which causes an overgrowth of bones in the hands, feet, and face
parahormone → chemical "messengers" of the endocrine system that are released into the blood