5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- endocrine system
- one messenger model
- thyroid gland
- a mechanism of hormone action used by steroid hormones which bring their message directly into the cell
- b Peptide hormone released by anterior pituitary which promotes lactation.
- c gland found in neck that regulates rate of metabolism; produces thyroxine
- d a hormone secreted by the beta cells of the Islets of Langerhans of the pancreas responsible for regulating the metabolism of glucose
- e a collection of glands and groups of cells thats secrete hormones that regulate growth,development, and homeostsis
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Gland located near the heart; it aids in the body's defence against infection by making antibodies
- part of the brain which links the endocine and nervous system, and controls the pituitary gland.
- hormone secreted by alpha cells of the pancreas; raises blood glucose levels
- A small mass of tissue near the center of the brain; it secretes the hormone melatonin.
- one of a pair of ductless glands, located above the kidneys, consisting of a cortex, which produces steroidal hormones, and a medulla, which produces epinephrine and norepinephrine.
5 True/False Questions
aldosterone → The male sex hormone produced by the testes which promotes the maturation of the reproductive system accessory structures, and development of the male secondary sex characteristics.
positive feedback → a response that opposes the original stimulus
hormones → chemical "messengers" of the endocrine system that are released into the blood
calcitonin → Produced by the thyroid gland and decreases the blood calcium levels by stimulating calcium deposit in the bones. The antagonist of the parathyroid hormone.
pituitary gland → the master gland of the endocrine system