← Unit Fourteen Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Alliance for Progress
- Bay of Pigs
- Douglas MacArthur
- Army McCarthy Hearings
- a a series of hearings where McCarthy accused people in the US military of being communists; helps lead to his downfall.
- b A program in which the United States gave billions of dollers to help Latin American countries overcome poverty and other problems in order to counter Communism.
- c In April 1961, a group of Cuban exiles organized and supported by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency landed on the southern coast of Cuba in an effort to overthrow Fidel Castro. When the invasion ended in disaster, President Kennedy took full responsibility for the failure.
- d American general, who commanded allied troops in the Pacific during World War II.
- e North Atlantic Treaty Organization; an alliance made to defend one another if they were attacked by any other country; US, England, France, Canada, Western European countries
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- American General who commanded American military operations in the Vietnam War at its peak from 1964 to 1968
- Proposed increasing national defense spending significantly during the Truman administration as a way to combat the spread of Communism.
- U-2 pilot shot down over the Soviet Union
- Prime Minister of Great Britain during WWII
- Fascist dictator of Germany in WW II.
5 True/False Questions
Nikita Khruschev → Succeeded Stalin as the head of the Soviet Communist Party and became the Soviet premier.
Peace Corps → site of the Japanese attack on the US that brought the US into the war
38th parallel → Site where Ohio National Guard members opened fire on a college campus anti-war protest, killing four students.
Mao Tse tung → Communist leader of China; gained power through the Chinese civil war; defeated US backed Chiang Kai Shek
Washington Disarmament Conference → delegates from US, JAP, ENG met for political settlement of tense Asian situation; terms include: limit of capital ships, US pledge not to fortify Pacific bases, Nine Power Treaty, Four Power Treaty