Must Know #4: Zone Control System
Line Of Sight, long distance ahead that you can see, Path of Travel, the space your vehicle will occupy as you travel ahead, Open and Closed Zones, be aware of where you will not and will be able to drive on the road ahead
Must Know #5: Searching Ranges
Target Area Range, area as far ahead as you can see a target in the center of your intended path and to its right and left, 12-15 second range of what is up ahead, 4-6 second range of what is up ahead, Orderly Visual Search Pattern, a system of observing the conditions in front of you in different second ranges and on all sides in an orderly manner.
Must Know #6: Following Distance
4 Second Space Cushion in normal conditions, 6-7 or greater cushion in adverse conditions, If you are being tailgated, increase your following distances, Constantly Work To Maintain correct following distances
Must Know #7: Lane Change Procedure
Both Mirrors-Signal-Head Check, Maintain your current Speed, Glide back into lane after seeing both headlights of the car behind you in your mirror, Cancel Signal, No Lane Change In Intersection, Be Aware of Unintentional Signals In A Commercial Area
Must Know #8: Stopping Locations
Always Check Rear Mirrors Prior To Braking, Front Bumper One Foot Before Stop Line, Front Bumper One Foot Behind Crosswalk, If No Stop Line or Crosswalk, Stop At A Place in the Intersection Where You Can See Both Ways without Hindering Traffic, Behind Another Vehicle, Stop Where You Can See The Bottom Of Their Back Tires
Must Know #9: Intersection Approach
Identify The Intersection Controls (stop, yield sign, etc.), Check them Early, Brief and Often, Check your sides Left-Right-Left, Make Last Check As You Slowly Move Into Traffic
Must Know #10: Uncontrolled Intersection
Never Assume You Have The Right Of Way, Vehicle On Right Has The Right of Way If You Arrive At The Same Time, First Vehicle There Has Right Of Way, Always Yield to Pedestrians
Must Know #11: Turning A Corner
Brake, Coast (12-15 mph), Accelerate, Use Hand-Over-Hand or Push-Pull
A: Pre-Starting Checks IN SEQUENCE
1. Check Outside Of Car. 2. Enter Car,closing and locking door. 3. Place Key In Ignition. 4. Adjust Seat To Reach Pedals Comfortably, Sitting High up with back next to back of seat. 5. Adjust Head Restraints. 6. Adjust Mirrors. 7. Fasten Seat Belts Snugly. 8. Check To Make Sure Passengers Have Locked Doors and Fastened Seat Belts (ask them)
B: Starting The Engine IN SEQUENCE
1. Make sure gear selector is in Park (or neutral for stick shift). 2. Set Parking Brake Firmly. 3. Right Foot on Accelerator. 4. Turn Ignition Switch Full Right. Release Switch Immediately When Engine Starts. 5. Check Instruments While Engine Warms Up.
C. Getting Ready to Move the Car IN SEQUENCE
1. Hold Brake down Firmly while you...2.Shift into Drive or Reverse...3. Release Parking Brake
D. Drive Away From The Curb Lane IN SEQUENCE
1. Use the "Lane Change Idea"to the left.(Signal and Check!) 2. Release foot from brake and accelerate gently while turning the wheel left. 3. Center Car in LANE POSITION 1. 4. Cancel Signal.
E. Return To Curb Lane IN SEQUENCE
1. Enter LANE POSITION 3. 2. Use the "Lane Change Idea" to the right ( Signal and Check!). 3. Reduce Speed by applying brake. 4. Steer to Curb Lane. 5. Position vehicle parallel to curb, within 3-6 inches. 6. Center steering wheel and stop smoothly.
F. Securing the Car IN SEQUENCE
1. Hold Brake Down Firmly. 2. Apply Parking Brake. 3. Shift to park ( or 1st gear for stick shift). 4. Shut off all electrical equipment (lights, sound, heat etc.) 5. Turn off ignition and remove key. 6. If leaving the vehicle, close windows and lock doors.
G. Steering Techniques IN SEQUENCE
1. Hand Position 3 or 4 o'clock and 8 or 9 o'clock. 2. Hand Over Hand For Most Curves Usually. 3. Push And Pull for More Gradual Turns