5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- John C. Calhoun
- Denmark Vesey
- Zachary Taylor
- John Brown
- Jefferson Davis
- a hero of the Mexican War, owned a plantation in Louisiana, became president in 1848 died in office
- b President of the Confederacy
- c won money in a street lottery, but was hung later for his part in trying to help slaves escape
- d fanatical abolitionist who joined the antislavery forces in Kansas, fought against proslavery settlers, more than 200 people were killed..."Bleeding Kansas"
- e South Carolina's senator who led private meetings with southern members of Congress, first to secede the union
5 Multiple choice questions
- invented the cotton gin
- won presidential election in 1860, the south seceded the Union due to his presidency
- Colonel in the Illinois Infantry and 18th President of the U.S.
- wrote "Twelve Years a Slave"
- conductor for the underground railroad
5 True/False questions
Stephen Douglas → a powerful voice in the abolitionist movement
Henry Clay → won money in a street lottery, but was hung later for his part in trying to help slaves escape
Dred Scott → slave who moved with his master to free territory, his master died and he sued for freedom, His case lost in the Supreme Court. Slaves were defined as property.
William Tecumseh Sherman → Union general that led troops from Atlanta to the ocean and destroyed the Confederate Army
Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson → Confederate general who stood like a stone amid a shower of bullets