5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- clonidine, methyl dopa
- terbutaline, orcipenaline
- a short acting beta agonists (relievers for asthma).
- b antifungal that targets cell wall synthesis - IV use only for invasive aspergillosis
- c Antiepileptic. Specifically blocks T-type Ca channels within thalamus. 1st line for ABSENCE seizures.
- d infrequently used antimuscarinic broncodilator for asthma. produces bronchodilation by blocking vagal tone.
- e Centrally acting alpha2 adrenoreceptor agonists (sympathetic inhib). Vasodilatory. Rarely used for hypertension. SEs: sedation, depression, rebound HT on withdrawal
5 Multiple choice questions
- DA agonist (directly stimulates D2 receptors in PD). SEs: nausea, hypotension, psychological effects, pleural effusions, retroperitoneal fibrosis, vasospasm. Used in combination with levodopa (reduces wearing off symptoms).
- Antihypertensive (esp. in emergency) vasodilator (mainly arteriolar). Interferes with IP3 on Ca release from SR.
- PD drug (mild relief in early stage PD), action unclear.
- Antihypertensive. Osmotic diuretic, acts on whole nephron. Blocks tubular water resorption and reduces Na+ resorption rate.
- B1 selective antagonist for angina, hypertension and arrhythmia (class II)
5 True/False questions
theophyline → infrequently used broncodilator for asthma. contains methylxantine that relaxes smooth muscle.
streptokinase → Fibrinolytic. Activates plasminogen (which converts fibrin to fibrin degradation products). Indications: AMI, PE
hydroxocobalamin → Vitamin B12 deficiency therapy, IM. In pernicious anaemia and with neuroinvolvement, life-long therapy.
amorolfine → antifungal that disrupts cell membrane synthesis. used in laquer for nails to treat onychomycoses
chlorpomazine → Antihypertensive (esp. in emergency) vasodilator (mainly arteriolar). Interferes with IP3 on Ca release from SR.