5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a antifungal that targets cell wall synthesis - IV use only for invasive aspergillosis
- b Non-selective alpha 1+2 adrenoreceptor blocker in smooth muscle. Vasodilation. Used in phaeochromocytoma (HT due to adrenal tumor) and erectile dysfunction. SEs: first dose syncope, postural hypotension, reflex tachycardia, urinary urgency,
- c antifungal that disrupts cell membrane synthesis. used in laquer for nails to treat onychomycoses
- d an imidazole antifungal (targets ergosterol synthesis via 14-aemethylase) - used topically and orally. Causes liver toxicity and inhibits steroidogenesis.
- e polyene antifungal (disrupts cell membrane integrity by binding to ergosterol) only used topically e.g. candida albicans
5 Multiple choice questions
- DDCIs, used in combination with levodopa in PD.
- class of drugs for angina that increase venous, arteriolar and coronary dilation e.g. isosorbide dinitrate and nitroglycerin (not to be used with viagra)
- aldoterone antagonist potassium-sparing diuretics (act on late DCT and collecting tubules). Used for CHF, and with thiazide or loop diuretics to produce diuresis without hypokalaemia.
- parenteral iron therapy (IM or IV). Indications: unable to absorbe oral iron in iron deficiency. SEs: fever, arthralgia, nausea, abdominal cramps, vomiting
- antimetabolite antifungal, targets nucleic acid synthesis
5 True/False questions
praziquantel → Antihelmintic- treatment of intestinal tapeworms (cestodes). Causes tetanic-like contractions in worm muscle by altering calcium permeability, worms detached from host tissue.
azoles → class of antifungals that disrupt cell membrane integrity. Bind to ergosterol e.g. amphotericin and nystatin.
ferrous sulphate → Obtained from blood donations. Contains concentrated vWF, given in severe vWD.
tolcapone, entacapone → COMT inhibitors, used alone or with levodopa and DDCIs (prolongs half life of levodopa). Used in PD.
beta blockers → class of drugs for angina, reduce oxygen demand by reducing heart rate e.g. atenolol, metoprolol, propanolol