5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- salmeterol, eformoterol
- a Antiplatelet. Phosphodiesterase inhibitor (inhibits platelet aggregation).
- b long acting beta agonists (symptom controllers for asthma). contraindicated with antihypertensives.
- c class of antifungals that disrupt cell membrane integrity. Bind to ergosterol e.g. amphotericin and nystatin.
- d class of drugs for angina that increase venous, arteriolar and coronary dilation e.g. isosorbide dinitrate and nitroglycerin (not to be used with viagra)
- e cardiac glycoside that increases myocardial contractility (by increasing myocardial intracellular calcium) and stimulates vagus nerve (slows AV conduction). used for heart failure and AF. contraindicated with loop and thiazide diuretics and sympathomimetic drugs. narrow safety margin
5 Multiple choice questions
- polyene antifungal (disrupts cell membrane integrity by binding to ergosterol) only used topically e.g. candida albicans
- Oral iron therapy for iron deficiency anaemia. Continued for 2 - 3 months. SEs: nausea, abdominal cramps, constipation/ diarrhoea
- ACE inhibitors (type of RAS inhibitor used in heart failure hypertension and diabetic nephropathy). SEs: hypotension, hyperkalaemia, cough. Reduce TPR, hypertension and increase sodium and water excretion. Contraindicated in pregnancy and renal artery stenosis.
- class III antiarrhythmic.non-selective B blocker with class III activity (prolongs AP and refractory period)
- antifungal that targets nuclear division (inhibits microtubules)
5 True/False questions
amiloride, triamterene → sodium channel blocker potassium sparing diuretics (act on late DCT and collecting tubules). Used with thiazide or loop diuretics to produce diuresis without hypokalaemia, and with thiazides as antihypertensives.
minoxidil → Antihypertensive vasodilator (mainly arteriolar). Increases K+ permeability. May also be used as cream for baldness.
carvedilol → A and B antagonist used for heart failure
beta blockers → class of drugs for angina, reduce oxygen demand by reducing heart rate e.g. atenolol, metoprolol, propanolol
benzotropine → muscarinic antagonist used in early stage PD. SEs: dry mouth, constipation, urinary retention.