5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- ferrous sulphate
- a an imidazole antifungal (targets ergosterol synthesis via 14-aemethylase) - only used topically (vaginal/ skin)
- b Oral iron therapy for iron deficiency anaemia. Continued for 2 - 3 months. SEs: nausea, abdominal cramps, constipation/ diarrhoea
- c short acting beta agonist (reliever for asthma). also called ventolin.
Also, relaxation of uterine smooth muscle (e.g. delays preterm labour - but mainly nifedipine, a calcium channel blocker, is used). SE: skeletal muscle tremor.
- d Benzimidazole - antihelmintic for intestinal nematodes e.g. threadworm, hookworm, whipworm, roundworm. Impairs microtubule synthesis.
Pooly absorbed from GIT, few SEs.
- e Antiplatelet. Monoclonal antibody that antagonises GIIb/a receptor on platelets, prevents binding of fibrinogen to platelets. Hospital use only.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- class III antiarrhythmic.non-selective B blocker with class III activity (prolongs AP and refractory period)
- loop diuretics (act on thick ascending limb to block Na+/K+2Cl- transporter). Used for salt/ water overload associated with acute pulmonary oedema, CHF, liver cirrhosis and renal failure.
- Antihypertensive (esp. in emergency) vasodilator (mainly arteriolar). Interferes with IP3 on Ca release from SR.
- GM-CSF. Used to treat neutropenia in chemotherapy and after bone marrow transplant.
- infrequently used antimuscarinic broncodilator for asthma. produces bronchodilation by blocking vagal tone.
5 True/False Questions
desferrioxamine → Iron chelator. For acute iron toxicity or haemachromatosis, forms a complex with ferric iron and is excreted in urine. IM, IV or intragastric.
tolcapone, entacapone → COMT inhibitors, used alone or with levodopa and DDCIs (prolongs half life of levodopa). Used in PD.
benzotropine → muscarinic antagonist used in early stage PD. SEs: dry mouth, constipation, urinary retention.
deferiprone → MAO-B inhibitor, used in PD. Minor side effects (insomnia and headaches). Reduces wearing off associated with levodopa.
bretylium → infrequently used antimuscarinic broncodilator for asthma. produces bronchodilation by blocking vagal tone.