5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- class I antiarrhythmics
- class III antiarrhythmics
- a prolong AP (block outward K+ current) and prolong refractory period e.g. bretylium, sotalol, amiodarone
- b Iron chelator. For acute iron toxicity or haemachromatosis, forms a complex with ferric iron and is excreted in urine. Orally absorbed, careful monitoring required (risk of agranulocytosis)
- c Antiepileptic. GABA agonist (inhibits GABA - t, which metabolises GABA), and also blocks high freq firing through Na+ channels. 1st line in generalised seizures (both TONIC-CLONIC and absence), 2nd line in PARTIAL seziures. SEs: weight gain, alopecia, cyp450 inhibition, spina bifida in foetuses
ALSO used as mood stabiliser in acute manic phase of bipolar disorder (particuarly with patients that rapidly cycle through manic depressive phases)
- d local anasthethics used for ventricular arrhythmias (block fast sodium current, slow cardiac conduction) e.g. lignocaine, quinidine, flecainide, procainamide
- e class of drugs for angina that increase venous, arteriolar and coronary dilation e.g. isosorbide dinitrate and nitroglycerin (not to be used with viagra)
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Antihypertensives. Selective alpha 1 adrenoreceptor blocker in smooth muscle. Vasodilation. Used in hypertension and BPH. SEs: first dose syncope, postural hypotension, reflex tachycardia, urinary urgency,
- GABA agonist used for Huntington's disease.
- infrequently used broncodilator for asthma. contains methylxantine that relaxes smooth muscle.
- loop diuretics (act on thick ascending limb to block Na+/K+2Cl- transporter). Used for salt/ water overload associated with acute pulmonary oedema, CHF, liver cirrhosis and renal failure.
- Anticoagulant, vitamin K antagonist (inhibits factors 2, 7, 9, 10). Indications: PE, DVT (ongoing treatment), unstable angina, AF.
5 True/False Questions
ketoconazole → Benzimidazole - antihelmintic for intestinal nematodes e.g. threadworm, hookworm, whipworm, roundworm. Impairs microtubule synthesis.
Pooly absorbed from GIT, few SEs.
amantidine → PD drug (mild relief in early stage PD), action unclear.
ivermectin → Endothelin (vasoconstrictor) receptor antagonist (mixed ETa and ETb antag, vasodilatory). Not effective in primary hypertension, used in pulmonary hypertension.
bretylium → infrequently used antimuscarinic broncodilator for asthma. produces bronchodilation by blocking vagal tone.
azoles → class of antifungal cell membrane synthesis inhibitors. Target ergosterol synthesis via 14-aemethylase