5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Moscow Conference
- Red Scare
- Lame Duck Period
- Muscle Shoals
- Detroit Race Riot
- a Most instense outbreak of national alarm, began in 1919. Success of communists in Russia, American radicals embracing communism followed by a series of mail bombings frightened Americans. Attorney General A. MItchell Palmer led effort to deport aliens without due processs, with widespread support. Did not last long as some Americans came to their senses. Sacco/Vanzetti trial demonstrated anti-foreign feeling in 20's. Accused of armed robbery & murder, had alibis. "Those anarchists bastards". Sentenced to death and executed.
- b The time between the election of a new political official and when they take office. Refers specifically to the outgoing official's frequent lack of influence of power during that period
- c meeting between USSR, Britian & US wanted to create an organization to help keep peace
- d 1931, designed the Tennesse River, goal to sell gov. produced electricity in competion with citizens in private companies. passed by Roosevelt
- e 1943, The Detroit riot was the largest riot in a year in which the United States saw eight major riots. Forty-three people were killed during the violence.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A propaganda character designed to increase production of female workers in the factories. It became a rallying symbol for women to do their part.
- Roosevelt-declared closing of all U.S. financial institutions on March 6-10, 1933, in order to stop panic and prepare reforms.
- Consisting of 66 nations meeting in the summer of 1933, it revealed how thoroughly Roosevelt's early foreign policy was subordinated. The delegates hoped to organize a coordinated international attack on the global depression. Because of a message that Roosevelt sent to the conference that scolded the conference, the delegates adjourned empty-handed. The collapse of the London Conference strengthened the global trend toward extreme nationalism. (p. 800-801)
- 1941-Pledge signed by US president FDR and British prime minister Winston Churchill not to acquire new territory as a result of WWII amd to work for peace after the war
- Universal negro improvement association; founded by marcus garvey to end racism through seperation of races
5 True/False Questions
Neville Chamberlain → FDR, Churchill and Stalin met at Yalta. Russia agreed to declare war on Japan after the surrender of Germany and in return FDR and Churchill promised the USSR concession in Manchuria and the territories that it had lost in the Russo-Japanese War
Andrew Mellon → legislative program focusing on reform begun by FDR in 1935 when the first attempt to end the Depression failed
Marcus Garvey → Many poor urban blacks turned to him. He was head of the Universal Negro Improvement Association and he urged black economic cooperation and founded a chain of UNIA grocery stores and other business
Tripartite Pact: Rome-Berlin-Tokyo Axis → 1936; close cooperation between Italy and Germany, and soon Japan joined; resulted from Hitler; who had supported Ethiopia and Italy, he overcame Mussolini's lingering doubts about the Nazis.
Teapot Dome Scandal → June 1940 France and most of Europe was conquered by Germany. Left Britain alone against Hitler