5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Central High school 1957
- Plessy v. Ferguson
- Warren Commission
- Munich Conference
- a Separate but equal
- b Little Rock Central High School was the first desegregated school. The resistance to this integration was so strong, Governor Faubus had to call in the national guard to maintain the peace, but they were ordered to withdraw by the US court. This had been the first time since the Civil War that the national guard had to be called to maintain the order. Mayor, Woodrow Mann, urged aid from Eisenhower who sent the 101 Airborne Division to escort the 9 students to school through the protesting crowds.
- c An elaborate official investigation conducted by Chief Justice Earl Warren regarding the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. The results were that Lee Harvey Oswald shot Kennedy and himself shot to death on TV by a self-appointed avenger, Jack Ruby.
- d 1938 conference at which Brit, French and German leaders attempted to appease Hitler by turning over the Sudetenland to him in exchange for promise that Germany would not expand Germany's territory any further., 1938 conference at which European leaders attempted to appease Hitler by turning over the Sudetenland to him in exchange for promise that Germany would not expand Germany's territory any further.
- e American U2 spy plane shot down by soviet missiles during reconnaissance mission. Eisenhower claimed it to be a weather plane of course, which was totally false. When the film and the pilot's suicide equipment was found in the plane later, he finally confessed. Khrushchev expected an apology which he never received. This hurt US, USSR relations big time, which were improving up to that point. The pilot was tried and sentenced to 15 years in prison in communist court. (some stuff is from movie, so I don't know how much of this u need to know)
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- made it illegal for anyone in the United States to advocate, abet, or teach the desirability of overthrowing the government. also required all alien residents in the United States over 14 years of age to file a statement of their personal and occupational status and a record of their political beliefs.
- Called for spending $12.5 million over four years in sixteen cooperating countries. The Marshall plan was designed to aid the Europeans in recovery and get the Europeans back on their feet.
- Began with Rosa Parks by not going to the back of the bus. It influenced and catapulted the rise of Martin Luther King Jr. The blacks boycotted the buses in Montgomery, Alabama (who would have thought). It was a big help in raising the awareness of black mistreatment and discrimination.
- FDR's foreign policy of promoting better relations w/Latin America by using economic influence rater than military force in the region
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Created among nations of the North Atlantic (US, Canada, Italy, Portugal, etc). Created to have united defense against anyone who tries to attack anyone within that thing.
5 True/False Questions
Neutrality Acts of 1935,1936,1937 → in WWII. no sale of arms or loans to fighting nations, americans couldnt travel on warring countries sips, non-military goods on cash and carry, banned involvement in Spanish Civil war
Watts/Detroit Riots → Put things like small time military/navy on backburner, focus more on superbombers w/ nukes. Theory: more bang for your buck.
Nuclear Test Ban Treaty 1963 → Japanese forced about 60,000 of americans and philippines to march 100 miles with little food and water, most died or were killed on the way
Alger Hiss/Whitaker Chambers → he case catapulted an obscure California congressman named Richard Nixon to national fame, set the stage for Senator Joseph McCarthy's notorious Communist-hunting, and marked the beginning of a conservative intellectual and political movement that would one day put Ronald Reagan in the White House.
GI Bill of rights → Law Passed in 1944 to help returning veterans buy homes and pay for higher education