5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Nye Committee
- Alger Hiss/Whitaker Chambers
- Alliance for Progress
- Freedom Riders
- a Fanned out to end segregation in facilities serving interstate passengers. Freedom Riders were under a constant danger of being attacked by white mobs; therefore Washington dispatched federal marshals to protect the freedom riders.
- b Southeast Asia Treaty Organization (created from the Manila Pact). (1954) The formal institution of SEATO was established at a meeting of treaty partners in Bangkok in February 1955. Primarily invented to protect against further communist invasion of Southeast Asia.
- c In 1961, Kennedy extended the hand of friendship. Hailed as the Marshall Plan for Latin America, the primary goal was to help fill the gap that was between the rich and poor of our neighbors. (Thus quieting communist agitation). Results: Little alliance, less progress.
- d hearings to investigate the country's involvement on WW1; this committee documented the huge profits that arms factories had made during the war
- e he case catapulted an obscure California congressman named Richard Nixon to national fame, set the stage for Senator Joseph McCarthy's notorious Communist-hunting, and marked the beginning of a conservative intellectual and political movement that would one day put Ronald Reagan in the White House.
5 Multiple choice questions
- An elaborate official investigation conducted by Chief Justice Earl Warren regarding the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. The results were that Lee Harvey Oswald shot Kennedy and himself shot to death on TV by a self-appointed avenger, Jack Ruby.
- As the four regions of Germany were said to be united as one, the Soviet Union wanted to keep their side divided from the rest. The blockade came to represent the split between East and West Germany (between capitalism vs. communism). The split obviously being the capitalist East (US, Britain, France pieces), and the communist West (Soviet Union piece). The West stopped all rail and highway access to Berlin from the east side, trying to destroy the four-part control. We supported Berlin with airlifts for a year. Eventually in 1949, the Soviets dropped the blockade and the East and West were formally established.
- aka Philippine Independence Act. 10-year transitional period, United States would keep military forces in the Philippines etc.
- WWII largest amphibious assault in the Pacific War. high casualties, one of later battles on war
- American U2 spy plane shot down by soviet missiles during reconnaissance mission. Eisenhower claimed it to be a weather plane of course, which was totally false. When the film and the pilot's suicide equipment was found in the plane later, he finally confessed. Khrushchev expected an apology which he never received. This hurt US, USSR relations big time, which were improving up to that point. The pilot was tried and sentenced to 15 years in prison in communist court. (some stuff is from movie, so I don't know how much of this u need to know)
5 True/False questions
Medgar Evers → A black Mississippi civil rights worker. On the night of Kennedy's stirring television address, he was shot. Later four girls where killed by an explosion in a Baptist church, all the deaths lead to obvious frustration of the black community. (Growing impatient)
Military Industrial Complex → Called for spending $12.5 million over four years in sixteen cooperating countries. The Marshall plan was designed to aid the Europeans in recovery and get the Europeans back on their feet.
Dixiecrats → Southeast Asia Treaty Organization (created from the Manila Pact). (1954) The formal institution of SEATO was established at a meeting of treaty partners in Bangkok in February 1955. Primarily invented to protect against further communist invasion of Southeast Asia.
SCLC → When FDR, Churchill, and Stalin meet; they agreed to wage war on Japan, to divide Germany into 4 equal parts, on the big 5's veto, and to hold free elections for the liberated countries
Army desegregation → Ordered by truman, civil rights. Did little in other areas to promote racial equality, except for this. Had not said anything of his racial views in campaign. Felt bad that though Blacks fought in war to save country, they still came back unappreciated. Partially due to NAACP protest for equality, but Truman was still willing.