5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Central High school 1957
- Destroyer Deal
- Freedom Riders
- Containment Policy
- a This concept held that Russia was relentlessly expansionary. The US primarily used this to contain Communism. Its policy was to stop what it called the domino effect of nations moving politically towards Soviet Union-based communism
- b Little Rock Central High School was the first desegregated school. The resistance to this integration was so strong, Governor Faubus had to call in the national guard to maintain the peace, but they were ordered to withdraw by the US court. This had been the first time since the Civil War that the national guard had to be called to maintain the order. Mayor, Woodrow Mann, urged aid from Eisenhower who sent the 101 Airborne Division to escort the 9 students to school through the protesting crowds.
- c WWII largest amphibious assault in the Pacific War. high casualties, one of later battles on war
- d Fanned out to end segregation in facilities serving interstate passengers. Freedom Riders were under a constant danger of being attacked by white mobs; therefore Washington dispatched federal marshals to protect the freedom riders.
- e 1940 America traded old WWI Destroyers to Britain for access to naval basses by our east coast.edn of US neutrality
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Third-party ticket of the 1968 elections. American Independent party. Headed by Wallace, former governor of Alabama. Preached segregation. Speaking behind a bullet-proof screen, he called for putting the blacks into their place (with bayonets if necessary). Proposed smashing North Vietnam to smithereens by "bombing them back to the Stone Age." (9,906,473 popular votes / 46 electoral votes / Southern votes.)
- 1948 States' Rights Democratic Party, conservative breakaway of democratic party, segregational white supremecists
- A black Mississippi civil rights worker. On the night of Kennedy's stirring television address, he was shot. Later four girls where killed by an explosion in a Baptist church, all the deaths lead to obvious frustration of the black community. (Growing impatient)
- Banned racial discrimination in most private facilities open to public (theaters, hospitals, etc). Strengthened gov't's ability to end segregation. Created Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
- restrictions on labour unions. 1. outlawed "closed shops and required union leaders to sign loyalty oath 2. required 80 day cooling off period before strike
5 True/False Questions
Atlantic Charter → 1941-Pledge signed by US president FDR and British prime minister Winston Churchill not to acquire new territory as a result of WWII and to work for peace after the war
Quarantine Speech → Used in Churchill's 'Sinews of Peace' Speech. Described 'curtain' falling across eastern Europe, separating them from us
Malcolm X → North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Created among nations of the North Atlantic (US, Canada, Italy, Portugal, etc). Created to have united defense against anyone who tries to attack anyone within that thing.
Potsdam → Office of Price Administration--set price controls to help check inflation
U2-Incident → American U2 spy plane shot down by soviet missiles during reconnaissance mission. Eisenhower claimed it to be a weather plane of course, which was totally false. When the film and the pilot's suicide equipment was found in the plane later, he finally confessed. Khrushchev expected an apology which he never received. This hurt US, USSR relations big time, which were improving up to that point. The pilot was tried and sentenced to 15 years in prison in communist court. (some stuff is from movie, so I don't know how much of this u need to know)