5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Why are crops important?
- What is Latin America doing to solve this?
- natural resources
- Rain forest
- a L. American countries are trying to diversify economies. Building factories to make other products to sell; encouraging other jobs, such as farming other crops rather than relying on only one.
- b dense evergreen forest - abundant rainfall year-round; located in Amazon River Basin
- c they sell them to make money - important to economy
- d the ways that goods and services are produced and made available to people
- e things found in nature that people can use to meet needs
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- 1) elevation 2) location (areas close to the Equator usually warmer than those farther south) 3) wind patterns (sea breezes in Caribbean help keep temperatures down)
- mountains and plateaus; Mexico's central plateau has most of its people; between 2 mountains. Central America is an isthmus
- minerals, oil, trees, lumber, fish, coffee, wheat, sugar cane, cotton, rice
- Provide transportation; food from fishing; hydroelectric power. Needed for transportation b/c hard to build roads due to mountains and rural area.
- a raised area of flat land
5 True/False Questions
problems with a 1 resource economy? → country can loose money if something happens to that resource (weather destroys a crop; prices drop; demand slows down) - the economy can suffer. Ex: Chile leads world in producing copper. When copper prices are high, Chile's economy is strong; when copper prices drop, country looses money and jobs when the mines fire workers.
diversify → flat grassland regions commonly found in Argentina and Uruguay
What landforms are in the Caribbean? → Mountains, pampas, rain forest. Andes - 2nd highest in the world; pampas - Argentina and Uruguay; Amazon River Rainforest = 1/3 of S. America.
vegetation in colder climates? → exotic vegetation that needs hot, humid weather, such as bananas, cacao, sugar cane, rice
hydroelectricity → electric power made by rushing water