← Poli Sci Ch 12 Test
6 Written Questions
6 Multiple Choice Questions
- Federal rights leglislation that prohibits discrimination in employment based on race, origin, religion, sex or physical condition.
- Professional organization that represents the interests of members of a particular industry.
- Religious organization founded n 1979 by Jerry Falwell which advocated outlawing abortion, opposed homosexuality, and supported "traditional family value". Was very influential in helping mobilize religious conservatives into the Republican Party.
- Legal phrase that means taking positive steps to achieve a particular outcome.
- Conservative Christian political advocacy group founded in 1988 by Pat Robertson. One of the most powerful organizations promoting political activism by religious conservatives.
- Imposes drastic punishments on anyone who spoke out against the US government.
5 True/False Questions
USA PATRIOT act → Laws enacted after 9/11 that grants the federal government broad powers to fight terroritst activities.
Abolition → Forbidding the manufacture, transportation and sale of alcoholic beverages; imposed under the 18th Amend in 1920 and was repealed in the 21st Amend. Had roots in the temperance movement which advocated moderation, not elimination.
Labor Unions → An associaton of workers formed to promote collective interests such as fair pay and working conditions. Ability to strike to protest the actions of businesses is one of the most powerful tools. American Federation of Labor was created in 1886.
Progressive Movement → Movement calling for reform in the government, especially regarding social and moral welfare and governmental reorganization.
Espionage Act → Imposes drastic punishments on anyone who spoke out against the US government.