5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What was the condition of Italian states during the nationalist revolutions and what occured in them?
- To create nationalistic music, what did composers use in their works?
- What is culture? Examples?
- What did liberals in large empires such as the Hungarians in the Austrian Empire want to do?
- What is territory?
- a folk melodies
- b Nationalists worked to unite the many seperate states on the Italian peninsula; some were independent, while some were ruled by Austria, or by the pope. Eventually Prince Metternich sent Austrian troops to restore order in Italy.
- c split away and establish self rule.
- d a shared way of life (like food, dress, behavior, and ideals)
- e a certain territory that belongs to the ethnic group; its "land"
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- radical demand for democratic government
- A common past; common experiences
- belief in common ethnic ancestry that may or may not come true
- Freeing them would anger the andowners, whose support the czars needed to stay in power.
- Czar Nicholas I's son, Alexander II; He and his advisers believed that his reforms would allow Russia to compete with western Europe for world power.
5 True/False Questions
Who were conservatives and what did they believe? → Radicals were those that favored drastic change to extend democracy to all people. They believed that governments should practice the ideals of the French Revolution - liberty, quality, and brotherhood.
Name two examples of composers who used popular legends and melodies into their works. → 1848 - it called for a parliament and a strong president to be elected by the people.
Why did Russia lose the Crimean was in 1856 to combined forces of France, Sardinia, Great Britain, and the Ottoman Empire? → Russia's industries and transportation system failed to provide adequate supplies for the country's troops.
Who won the French presidential election in December 1848? → Louis-Napoleon, the nephew of Napoleon Bonaparte
What painting did Victor Schnetz paint, and what did it portray? → 1881 by terrorists; it caused political and social reforms to stop.