5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What was a major force behind Russia's drive toward industrial expansion?
- What were positive results of nationalism?
- What was signed in 1830 by whom?
- Name all of th ethnic uprisings that occured in 1848
- What is nationalism?
- a Nationalism
- b 1) People within a nation overcame their differences for a common good, 2) colonial rule was overthrown, 3) democratic governments were instituted in naitons throughout the world, 4) competition among nations spurred scientific and technological advances
- c Britain, France, and Russia signed a treaty guaranteeing an independent kingdom of Greece.
- d The belief that people's greatest loyalty should not be to a king or an empire but to a nation of people who share a common culture and history.
- e 1) After an unruly mob in Vienna clashed with police, Metternich resigned and liberal uprisings broke out throughout the Austrian empire. 2) In Budapest, Louis Kossuth, national leader, called for a parliament and self-government for Hungary. 3) Czech liberals demanded Bohemian independence in Prague.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Nationalists worked to unite the many seperate states on the Italian peninsula; some were independent, while some were ruled by Austria, or by the pope. Eventually Prince Metternich sent Austrian troops to restore order in Italy.
- France, England, and Spain
- In 1827, a combined Russian, British, and French fleet destroyed the Ottoman fleet in support for the Greeks.
- He tried to stage a return to absolute monarchy, causing riots that forced Charles to flee to Great Britain.
- Richard Wagner with his operas and cycle of four musical dramas called (italicized) Der Ring des Nibelungen.
5 True/False questions
When the Greeks get independence from the Ottoman Turks? → Liberty, equality, and brotherhood
What happened between the Poles and the Russians in regards to declaring independence? → It began to fall apart immediately - the radicals split up into factions, as one side wanted only political reform, and the other side also wanting social and economic reform.
What is culture? Examples? → The region that included all or part of present day Greece, Albania, Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, and the former Yugoslavia.
Name two examples of composers who used popular legends and melodies into their works. → 1) After an unruly mob in Vienna clashed with police, Metternich resigned and liberal uprisings broke out throughout the Austrian empire. 2) In Budapest, Louis Kossuth, national leader, called for a parliament and self-government for Hungary. 3) Czech liberals demanded Bohemian independence in Prague.
Who were conservatives and what did they believe? → They were usually property owners and nobility, who argued for protecting the traditional monarchies of Europe.