5 Written questions
4 Matching questions
- a The active transport of solutes out of the blood and into the tubular fluid is called:
- b In the process of urine formation, first:
filtrate is formed, then tubular fluid, then urine.
tubular fluid is formed, then filtrate, then urine.
- c Large proteins and red blood cells normally pass freely through the filtration membrane.
- d Which step(s) in the process of urine formation occur in the renal tubule?
Filtration, secretion, and reabsorption
Secretion and reabsorption only
5 Multiple choice questions
- Macula densa cells monitor the concentration of:
glucose in the blood.
antidiuretic hormone in the urine.
sodium chloride in the fluid within the distal convoluted tubule.
calcium in the fluid of the proximal convoluted tubule.
aldosterone in the afferent arteriole.
- How are nephrons, collecting ducts, and collecting tubules related to each other?
One collecting duct drains into one nephron, and one nephron drains into one collecting tubule.
One nephron drains into one collecting tubule, and several collecting tubules empty into a collecting duct.
One nephron drains into one collecting duct, and several collecting ducts empty into a collecting tubule.
One collecting tubule drains into one nephron, and several nephrons drain into one collecting duct.
One nephron drains into several collecting tubules, and all tubules eventually lead to one collecting duct.
- Sympathetic nervous system influences on glomerular filtration rate are considered ________ controls.
- What is the correct sequence of organs for the formation and elimination of urine?
Bladder, urethra, kidney, ureter
Kidney, ureter, bladder, urethra
Kidney, urethra, bladder, ureter
Kidney, bladder, ureter, urethra
Urethra, bladder, kidney, ureter
- Which of the following is a nitrogenous waste product produced from nucleic acid breakdown in the liver?
5 True/False questions
c → The normal pH for urine:
is anything below 7.0.
is anything above 7.0
ranges between 4.5 and 8.0.
ranges between 3.0 and 6.0.
ranges between 8.0 and 9.0 for someone with a diet high in protein.
c → From innermost to outermost, the protective layers on the kidney are the:
fibrous capsule, perinephric fat, renal fascia, paranephric fat.
renal corpuscle, perinephric fat, renal fascia, paranephric fat.
renal fascia, paranephric fat, renal corpuscle, perinephric fat.
renal fascia, perinephric fat, fibrous capsule, paranephric fat.
fibrous capsule, paranephric fat, renal fascia, perinephric fat.
c → Careful measurements of GFR are made by injection of _______, but approximations of GFR can be made more simply by measuring renal plasma clearance of _________.
creatine phosphate, insulin
insulin, creatine phosphate
c → The kidneys are located ___________ the peritoneum.
e → Which is not correct regarding the innervation of the kidney?
Parasympathetic innervation is from the vagus nerve.
The kidney is served by the renal plexus.
Sympathetic innervation is from segments T10-T12 of the spinal cord.
Sympathetic stimulation causes vasoconstriction of the renal blood vessels.
Parasympathetic stimulation decreases the rate of filtrate formation.