5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- objective truth
- a records and presents topics of current interest to the public through news media; journalists present facts and describe situations without attempting to interpret them.
- b the feeling conveyed by the author's attitude toward his subject and by the particular way in which he writes about it
- c Taken from a private diary or journal, it is the day-to-day record of events in a person's life, written for personal use and pleasure. It tells of the people and events that the author has known or witnessed.
- d an article in a newspaper or magazine that gives the editor's or author's point of view.
- e The author presents situations or the characters' thoughts, feelings, and actions in a detached, noncommittal manner
5 Multiple choice questions
- a general principle or conclusion which is drawn from an examination of details
- a fairly short nonfiction selection in which the author expresses his thoughts and feelings on any subject he chooses to discuss
- a record of experiences, ideas, or reflections kept regularly for private use
- a personal, daily account of an individual's experiences and feelings
- It is a factual recording of current events, persons and places and appears in the newspaper or magazine; it answers the questions, "Who? What? When? Why? Where? How?"
5 True/False questions
history → a personal, daily account of an individual's experiences and feelings
theme → the feeling conveyed by the author's attitude toward his subject and by the particular way in which he writes about it
bias → Bias occurs when an author prejudices the audience in favor of one side of an issue by not covering the topic fairly. Bias should be avoided in nonfiction writing
subjective truth → The author incorporates personal experiences into his writing or projects into the narrative his personal disposition, judgments, values, and feelings.
analogy → a comparison of two or more similar objects which suggests that if they are alike in certain respects, they will probably be alike in other ways as well