5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Specialty crops
- Extensive agriculture
- European city
- a An agricultural system characterized by low inputs of labor per unit land area
- b The conscious manipulation of plant and animal species by humans in order to sustain themselves
- c Crops including items like peanuts and pineapples, which are produced, usually in developing countries, for export
- d Person who left the inner city and moved to outlying suburban and rural areas
- e Cities in Europe that were mostly developed during the Medieval period and that retain many of the same characteristics such as extreme density of development with narrow buildings and winding streets, an ornate church that prominently marks the city center, and high walls surrounding the city center that provided defense against attack.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Any kind of agricultural activity that involves effective and efficient use of labor on small plots of land to maximize crop yield
- A form of technology that uses living organisms, usually genes, to modify products, to make or modify plants and animals, or to develop other microorganisms for specific purposes
- Form of agriculture that uses mechanical goods such as machinery, tools, vehicles and facilities to produce large amounts of agricultural goods; a process requiring very little human labor
- The movement within city planning and urban design that stressed the marriage of older, classical forms with newer, industrial ones. Common characteristics include wide thoroughfares, spacious parks and civic monuments that stressed progress, freedom and national unity.
- Cities established by colonizing empires as administrative centers. Often they were established on already existing native cities, completely overtaking their infrastructures.
5 True/False Questions
Suburb → Residential communities located outside of city centers that are usually relatively homogenous in terms of population.
Node → Residential communities located outside of city centers that are usually relatively homogenous in terms of population.
Urban growth boundary → Geographical boundaries placed around a city to limit suburban growth within that city.
Latin American city → Cities in Latin America that owe much of their structure to colonialism, the rapid rise of industrialization and continual rapid increases in population. Similar to other colonial cities, they also demonstrate distinctive sectors of industrial or residential development radiating out from the CBD, where most industrial and financial activity occurs.
Salinization → Process that occurs when soils in arid areas are brought under cultivation through irrigation. In arid climates, water evaporates quickly off the ground surface, leaving salty residues that render the soil infertile